How do people pay living expenses during medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GH253

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rent/food/gas etc.

Private loans? Parents?

Members don't see this ad.

Federal student loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought Federal student loans were only for school costs and not living expenses.........

No, you can absolutely get federal loans for living expenses...the schools factor those into your budget. If you can save up any money before med school (i.e. if you are not a full time undergrad and have any type of real job) that would be helpful. It's also helpful if you can get any help at all from your family, since every dollar you borrow is going to become 2 or 3 by the time you repay it.

:thumbup: Up to $40,500 in staffords a year plus grad plus up to the cost of attendance set by your school.

I think the max loan amount for Stafford Loans has gone up this year. I was offered $44,944 in Stafford Loans ($8,500 in subsidized and $36,444 in unsubsidized). So good news to the OP as he can get more federal loan money now.

I think the max loan amount for Stafford Loans has gone up this year. I was offered $44,944 in Stafford Loans ($8,500 in subsidized and $36,444 in unsubsidized). So good news to the OP as he can get more federal loan money now.

It is dependent on how long your school year is. 9 months is still $40,500 as far as I know.