This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TyrannosaurusFlex

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I decided to make an account here on SDN to really get some insight as to what I should do. I am considering to go to school for either an MD or DO but preferably MD because I hear that there's many more options for an MD rather than a DO such as certain specialties like Hematology.

I'm a Biology major at The College of Staten Island. Not much reverence to the college, considering it is a community college. I also volunteer at a hospital and have been doing so for almost 2 years. Below are my major gpa/overall gpa, as well as grades for my biology major classes. I haven't taken the MCAT yet because I still need to take Biochem 1 and 2 but I'm going to be a senior this coming fall so I plan to take it right after Biochem.

I'm looking at Cooper Medical School because it's rather close and it looks like a school that I can get into with a high enough MCAT. Thank you all so much for your time.

Overall GPA: 3.362
Biology GPA: 3.168

Grades:
General Bio 1 - A / General Bio 1 Lab - A
General Bio 2 - B / General Bio 2 Lab - A
Calculus 1 - B / Calculus Lab - A
Biometrics - B
Physiology - C
Genetics - B
Physics 1 - B-
Physics 2 - A
General Chem 1 - B / General Chem 1 Lab - A-
General Chem 2 - B / General Chem 2 Lab - A-
Organic Chem 1 - B+
Organic Chem 2 - A

Members don't see this ad.

As of right now, your GPAs are lethal for MD schools, and on life support for DO. You'd be autorejected from mine and at least seven others than I can think of. The median cGPA for DO acceptees is ~3.4 and climbing.

Cooper highly favors NJ residents, FYI

Hey guys, I decided to make an account here on SDN to really get some insight as to what I should do. I am considering to go to school for either an MD or DO but preferably MD because I hear that there's many more options for an MD rather than a DO such as certain specialties like Hematology.

I'm a Biology major at The College of Staten Island. Not much reverence to the college, considering it is a community college. I also volunteer at a hospital and have been doing so for almost 2 years. Below are my major gpa/overall gpa, as well as grades for my biology major classes. I haven't taken the MCAT yet because I still need to take Biochem 1 and 2 but I'm going to be a senior this coming fall so I plan to take it right after Biochem.

I'm looking at Cooper Medical School because it's rather close and it looks like a school that I can get into with a high enough MCAT. Thank you all so much for your time.

Overall GPA: 3.362
Biology GPA: 3.168

Grades:
General Bio 1 - A / General Bio 1 Lab - A
General Bio 2 - B / General Bio 2 Lab - A
Calculus 1 - B / Calculus Lab - A
Biometrics - B
Physiology - C
Genetics - B
Physics 1 - B-
Physics 2 - A
General Chem 1 - B / General Chem 1 Lab - A-
General Chem 2 - B / General Chem 2 Lab - A-
Organic Chem 1 - B+
Organic Chem 2 - A

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll admit with a name like TyrannosaurusFlex and a post titled "How do I look?", I expected a troll/bro-troll post.

Aim for some newer DO schools. Your GPA is probably around the average for some of the newer DO and a bit below average for most DO schools. This is not to discourage you but it will be very tough for you to get an interview at an MD school with your GPA. The best thing you can do for yourself is to be realistic with your chances. I would apply to a lot of DO schools. Many people who have not even taken an MCAT prep exam yet have aspirations of getting a really high score on the actual thing. Needless to say, it is an extremely difficult exam so do not rely on getting a really high score to offset your GPA.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. I have a year and a half until I graduate to make up my GPA so hopefully I'll be at a better standing than I am now when I do graduate.