How do I go further on my own?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smuwillobrien

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only in my first year so I'm looking at biology concepts which are probably some of the most rudimentary things for a lot of you guys. I preemptively apologize if this post bothers anyone because of its simplicity.

We just started reading about cellular communication, g-protein linked receptors, tyrosine-kinase receptors and other intracellular receptors. I think that this topic right here has interested me more in biology than anything else I've read to this point.

I looked up these receptors on google.com, but the links I found are way above me. Does anyone know of any specific sites that would elaborate on these topics at a level that an undergraduate would understand?

I'd also appreciate it if anyone had any links talking about biophysics and other topics that are under intense research. I don't know how I'm going to find research opportunities so I'd like to see what kind of things people are working on.

Thanks a lot in advance. Have a good rest of the weekend.

:D

Members don't see this ad.

So it seems like you're interested in intracellular signal transduction...there's definitely a LOT of research going on in this area, especially in relation to cancer. Check with your bio/biochem department and see if you can get in on some of this as a lab assistant. I don't know of any specific websites, but a Lehninger biochemistry textbook should help you out. Also, if you're not using Campbell for your biology class, check out his book. It's a pretty comprehensive review of all of biology. Have fun!

If you are that interested in the topic, you should ask the professor that gave that lecture. he'd probably be happy to talk to an interested student about his interests (maybe even his research focus?). And it might land you a job in his lab.

Originally posted by smuwillobrien
I'm only in my first year so I'm looking at biology concepts which are probably some of the most rudimentary things for a lot of you guys. I preemptively apologize if this post bothers anyone because of its simplicity.

We just started reading about cellular communication, g-protein linked receptors, tyrosine-kinase receptors and other intracellular receptors. I think that this topic right here has interested me more in biology than anything else I've read to this point.

I looked up these receptors on google.com, but the links I found are way above me. Does anyone know of any specific sites that would elaborate on these topics at a level that an undergraduate would understand?

I'd also appreciate it if anyone had any links talking about biophysics and other topics that are under intense research. I don't know how I'm going to find research opportunities so I'd like to see what kind of things people are working on.

Thanks a lot in advance. Have a good rest of the weekend.

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
when you go and search on google you might want to search for something like intracelular signalling lectures

i've tried that before and I usually end up with lecture notes and slides from other schools. this really helps because most lectures/classes will start off with the basics and work their way up

but I agree with the above posters that talking to your professor will be a great way to learn about addtional sources

This is a pretty good site for pathways. The illustrations are great, but it might still be above your head. If it is, don't worry your just starting out. All things will come in time.

http://www.biocarta.com/genes/index.asp

Good Luck.

What kind of sadistic prof. starts popping off about g-proteins eight weeks into school? If you want to learn more get into a lab working on this sort of stuff [ask your bio advisor to make a few calls for you].

you can also go to the library, and find a text book for some cell bio class. (maybe the upper division cell bio class has lecture notes/text book on reserve there?).

yeah, talking to the professor sounds like a good idea.

Sonya

Try to find a cellular bio course website. My cell bio class spent ages on intercellular signals but only minutes on glycoproteins.

Check out the book The Touchstone of Life by Werner R. Loewenstein. It's all about intra- and intercellular communication by one of the pioneer researchers in the field.