How do I go about resigning from my graduate assistantship position suddenly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I go about resigning from my graduate assistantship position suddenly? I have to do this tomorrow..do I write a letter of resignation and say I will stay on for 2 weeks...or ask them if they want me to stay on for 2 more weeks..whats the deal...and do I have to stay on for 2 weeks? anyone expericen this before?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Considering your situation from the other threads you have posted, how about requesting a leave of absence? This is more open-ended, gives you the chance to come back or resign later, and will leave you in a better light with the program. It will also give you the back up you want for the MD/MPH you are interested in.

Just my 0.02

Treg:)

working in an employment office, having a degree in HR, i can tell you that 2 weeks is the standard required to leave in "good standing" at most places - as much as a month, at others (more rarely). you may want to contact your employment or employee relations office to find out what your company's resignation policy is. my advice is to make a way to stay on for 2 more weeks. when you're a doctor, what if your office manager/ nurse/ pa decides just to leave? it sucks for a boss, even if the employee isn't essential to the operation of the business/ office/ lab/ clinic.

2 weeks from now, you'll be glad to know that you stuck it out. don't you think?