How Do I Get Started?

DIacobucci

Reaction score
I have a very interesting history, in my opinion,

I was a computer software developer inherited from my father. I have always been fascinated with medicine and anatomy, in general, and till this day I'm still researching different diseases, treatments, in-depth information of the brain and central nervous system(I'm most interested in becoming a neurologist or some sort of neurosurgeon.)

With this being said, I was never able to excel in high school due to pressure from my family; them forcing me to focusing on computer software development for their family business. I didn't mind because I like computers and software development, mostly video game development.

Around 5 years ago from when this post was created(I was 18 or so then), I created these mobile apps that generated a healthy income for myself(around $8,000 a month). So... I ended up dropping out of high school(12th grade) and started living a comfortable life in Hampton, NH(USA). However, it was tied into my family and that didn't last so long since I was too young to hold a bank account and my family basically controlled the money and I was screwed over, in the end.

After the apps debacle, I ended up moving away from my family into East Providence, Rhode Island(moved from Maine); incredible medical schools here. I attempted to run my own company, again, living with my grandfather. 3 years later living in Rhode Island, up till now, it isn't going so well and I feel my accomplishments in life are running thin the more I grow old.

Let me be clear and say: this was all MY fault, and I am not blaming anybody; I should have known better considering the history of my family. I should have never dropped out, etc.

Don't care about my story? TLDR Below,

I dropped out of high school, and I am still quite young(23). My business isn't going anywhere, and I have been thinking about enjoying life as a doctor(neurologist or neurosurgeon; either or). I don't quite care about the income they make, I just want that accomplishment of becoming a doctor and feeling fulfilled in life. I want to be the one that people look at and see hope, the one that people look at and see an angel.

I am going to take some classes to get my GED pretty soon, and I am lost as to what to do then of becoming a doctor. I am not worried much about passing because I am TRULY ready for anything. I don't care about losing sleep since I've been working for family since I was 12, disciplined will power, etc; I pretty much know what it's like and I haven't adapted to a comfortable life style. It is very unfortunate that I was misguided as a kid, I feel.

SO! Here are a little bit of questions for those who are doctors(3 of them),
  • As a high school dropout; does it matter or affect your chances of becoming a doctor?
  • After I get my GED, do I start earning the credits at a community college or something? What do I do after getting a GED?
  • Is my direction realistic to you at all?
I really want to get started as soon as possible. I feel I am wasting my life and time away by the millisecond.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a doctor but I have been accepted to medical school. Perhaps I can attempt to answer your questions first.

• As a high school dropout; does it matter or affect your chances of becoming a doctor?
  • After I get my GED, do I start earning the credits at a community college or something? What do I do after getting a GED?
  • Is my direction realistic to you at all?
As long as you got your GED, can explain why you dropped out, how you changed, and did well in college afterwards, I do not see it being an insurmountable obstacle.

After you get your GED you apply to colleges. I do not see a reason to confuse things by beginning at a community college. Apply to your state school(s) and see if there are any scholarships from the school or in the community that apply to your situation. Begin with a foundation in the basics. While I do not have any reason to doubt your intelligence, acknowledge the fact (before going into this) that you may have to take an extra semester or year depending on your ability to move up in the science courses necessary. You can probably do it in the "normal" timeframe but just acknowledge this as a possibility since you dropped out of high school.

Your direction is realistic as long as you go into it fully informed and clearheaded.

Now, I want to address some concerns I have. First, you probably want to be careful mentioning this
the one that people look at and see an angel.
to anyone who knows the field. I respect neuro and they can provide great care for many people but there are conditions in all fields for which there simply are no cures. Also, concerning these statements...
I have been thinking about enjoying life as a doctor(neurologist or neurosurgeon; either or).

I don't quite care about the income they make

I pretty much know what it's like and I haven't adapted to a comfortable life style.
...you do get paid during residency and fellowships but it may be longer than you think before you are earning the "big bucks". Furthermore, there is no guarantee you will get into the residency of your choice or that your mind will not change between entering college and going to med school or entering med school and choosing a specialty.

I highly suggest you start with getting your GED and then getting into an accredited 4 year college you like and can afford. Then take some basic sciences (no matter what you major is) and shadow several different specialties. You will get a better idea of what you may like based on that.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much, AllBleedingStops. You have pretty much answered everything well.