How do i contact do's in my area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apu321

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get ahold of some DO's in the western pennsylvania area. I live in a small rural area and it is very hard to find DO's in my area. I want to intern or at least shadow a doctor because i am still on the fence about becoming a DO. any advice would be very welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

You are in NW PA - how far are you from Erie? There are a TON of DO's in Erie (so many that there are separate listings for MD's and for DO's in the yellow pages - they aren't just all clumped together under "physicians and surgeons"). If you aren't too far from Erie I suggest looking someone up there and driving there a few times to go and shadow.

I would definately start by not posting three times in a row (click ONCE!).

And try not asking to "intern" with them. How about you look people up in the phone book, (probably a Family Practice doctor would be easiest) and give them your predicament. You're bound to strike gold sometime.

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by QuinnNSU
I would definately start by not posting three times in a row (click ONCE!).
Q, DO

That's alright, common rockie mistakes... they'll soon learn quickly.... (I've eliminated those extra postings....) :)

If you have the means, look in some hospital's physician roster and write down the numbers of the DOs and give them a buzz. It's what i did and it worked VERY well.

yes, when i wanted to shadow a DO I just looked in the list of primary care providers in the booklet from my health insurers.....there were plenty. if you reallllly are in the middle of nowhere then i guess you might have to travel a little ways to find one but telephone and just ask. Many are more than willing to help and they are *everywhere* as far as I can tell! I was surprised how many DOs were in my area when I started looking.