All Branch Topic (ABT) How do Dec. 1 deposits work with the HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
On Dec. 1, the first round of dental school acceptances will be released and all schools will ask for a deposit to secure one's place in the class. This deposit goes towards tuition and can be sizable ($1,000-$3,000). Furthermore, a second, similar deposit is due in April to confirm one's intent to enroll.

Since both of these deposits will have been made well in advance of the school year, the HPSP will not be in effect at this time.

Are students reimbursed for these deposits since technically they are going towards tuition & the HPSP covers all tuition?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I paid mine from my own pocket... had even to borrow money from relatives (I was broke), no fun at all.. and never got reimbursed for it either

Reactions: 1 user
I paid my deposit at Louisville ($1,000) on December 1st. My Navy Commission didn't occur until August 1st. I received my deposit back because I had a negative balance on my school account after the scholarship monies were received.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I paid mine from my own pocket... had even to borrow money from relatives (I was broke), no fun at all.. and never got reimbursed for it either

Thank you for your reply. That does sound like a rough time. Fortunately you do not have to worry about student loans for the tuition of dental school.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. That does sound like a rough time. Fortunately you do not have to worry about student loans for the tuition of dental school.

Thank you for posting.

Did you have to do anything special with the accounting department at your school? Did you communicate to them that you had the HPSP and that you would want to be reimbursed by the school later once the HPSP $$ came in?

I'm assuming they charged the Navy for the full tuition and then refunded you $1,000, right?

I'll definitely have a conversation with the financial aid officer + student accounting representative wherever I end up and get this squared away.

Louisville sent out an email asking which students were on military scholarship so they could put into the system that money would be coming in from the government. They also already knew I was getting the scholarship because the Navy requires the Academic Yearly Statement.

Nothing was done on my part, and frankly I didn't even assume I would see the deposit again! It wasn't until some classmates on Army scholarship let me know. They got the full $1,000 back. I got about $960 -- the Navy didn't pay for my recreation fee. Guess we don't need it with only Running/Pushups/Situps. Ha!

I'll second what others have said. The school bills the Navy for the full tuition so it showed a negative balance on my account ($1000) which was refunded to me. I think it says in the handbook somewhere that the deposit is refundable, but only for the school you are attending. (Don't get refunded for holding spots at other schools.)

I'll second what others have said. The school bills the Navy for the full tuition so it showed a negative balance on my account ($1000) which was refunded to me. I think it says in the handbook somewhere that the deposit is refundable, but only for the school you are attending. (Don't get refunded for holding spots at other schools.)

When you say "The school bills the Navy for the full tuition"- does every dental school do this, or was this just your school?

Glad to hear that the deposit is refundable- but the Navy is not writing you the check, right? It is the school that writes you the refund check after billing the Navy for the full amount?

Glad to hear that the deposit is refundable- but the Navy is not writing you the check, right? It is the school that writes you the refund check after billing the Navy for the full amount?

Correct

Assuming you have multiple Dec. 1'st acceptances, what is everyone's plans for paying their deposits? Making the assumption here that the school you ultimately choose to attend will be dependent on if you are selected for HPSP or not. Just pay for your top choice and your fall back then decline from the other when the scholarships are awarded?

Assuming you have multiple Dec. 1'st acceptances, what is everyone's plans for paying their deposits?

With the Navy, applicants who applied in time for the November Board will know if they've gotten the scholarship or not before the Dec. 1 deposits are due.

Last edited:
Assuming you have multiple Dec. 1'st acceptances, what is everyone's plans for paying their deposits? Making the assumption here that the school you ultimately choose to attend will be dependent on if you are selected for HPSP or not. Just pay for your top choice and your fall back then decline from the other when the scholarships are awarded?

Well I only put down the deposit for my top choice school. That was 3 months before I found out I would even get the scholarship.

I guess if you're worried about not getting the scholarship... put a deposit down for your top choice and then a deposit for the cheapest.

I put down my own deposit for school in February, then was reimbursed by the school a month ago after the Army fully paid my tuition. Point being, my school billed the Army for the full first semester's tuition with the intention of giving me back my deposit.