How did you feel after you were accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BADD281

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all the current pharmacy students or now pharmacists, how did you feel when you were accepted?

I felt so relieved when I got my acceptance but almost immediately I freaked out over how much my educational debt would be when I graduated...$180K (including undergrad). I considered the military but I ended up deciding against that and just convincing myself to live within my means and pull some OT once out of school. My goal is to pay off that tab within 5 years of graduating (is this feasible?).

Now for my next worry...I am so freaked out after reading the "failure rate" threads! I feel like I had to work really hard to get here and overcome a lot of dumb freshman mistakes. I just worry my undergrad is somehow inadequate or something even though I'm a senior Biochemistry major... Anyone else feel this way before school started? I just want to tell myself I'll be fine with a lot of work but I just hate to think my classes will be loads harder than my cytology/histology, immunology and genetics etc. classes were in undergrad...

Sorry for the randomness I'm just really getting some P1 jitters...:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I just remember it was a Friday, after work, I came home and found a letter in my mailbox and I didn't expect to hear from them so soon. I was happy of course and called most of my friends to let them know. I never worried about the difficulty or the workload of pharmacy school. I guess it's because I was used to it, working 2 jobs and with heavy load of courses. I think my course load now is nothing compared to undergrad. It might help since I don't work now. I also didn't really worry about loans because pharmacy school is an investment for a better future.

Don't worry too much about failing out of pharmacy school. Just try your best, but for now, enjoy the rest of your summer and make some extra money.

Feelings? What are those? I don't have those anymore. It's kind of messed up, because I'm an INFP. Oh well :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was already having a good day. My day off, eating some General Tso's, watching Bob on The Price is Right. I remember getting the mail, reading the letter.....saying to myself, "Huh" in a surprised, somewhat bewildered tone. Then I put the letter down and immediately got back to the good general and Bob.

I'm kinda stoic, I s'pose.

Don't worry too much about school. I've had every bad thing happen to me in pharmacy school that can happen to a student and I eventually completed it all. The cool thing about existence is that 100 years we'll all be dead and equally unsuccessful at life. So what if you fail out of pharmacy school. We are all failures eventually.

i got my acceptance to one school and was mildly excited...but not really since i didn't want to go there anyway it was just my "back up" school

then 2 weeks later..i came home from class and i got accepted to two pharmacy schools that were in my top 3..i don't think i've been so excited about something so suddenly just from reading a paper.
it was funny because i got one acceptance in the mail and was super excited...and then after i told my parents, etc...i checked my email and saw an acceptance to the other school

i proceeded to eat lunch really quickly then went to work...and then went clubbing that night. the next morning was not so good LOL

you're going to be in debt at any school you go to ..so you shouldn't worry about it. just work hard, don't buy stupid crap like a porsche right out of pharm school and you'll be fine lol

I was really hungover from a friday night of bar hopping when I checked the mail and opened my acceptance letter. I was really happy but at the same time still felt like barfing from the night before. I called my parents and then went back to bed.
I wasn't really concerned with finances, although 180k is a lot you must be going out of state, seems steep but it is an investment. You will consolidate your loans and still be able to enjoy your salary.

I was already having a good day. My day off, eating some General Tso's, watching Bob on The Price is Right. I remember getting the mail, reading the letter.....saying to myself, "Huh" in a surprised, somewhat bewildered tone. Then I put the letter down and immediately got back to the good general and Bob.

I'm kinda stoic, I s'pose.

Don't worry too much about school. I've had every bad thing happen to me in pharmacy school that can happen to a student and I eventually completed it all. The cool thing about existence is that 100 years we'll all be dead and equally unsuccessful at life. So what if you fail out of pharmacy school. We are all failures eventually.

How uplifting!;)

Anyways, 5 days after my interview I opened up my inbox only to see to subject "offer of acceptance" staring me in the face...I was more happy and excited than I thought I'd be! I was also pretty surprised because I thought there'd be many people better than me. UB only takes 125 out of 1800 so it's tough competition! It was the only place I applied and interviewed so I had a lot riding on one school. I just kept thinking I sure the hell don't want to have to reapply next year! I think it's perfectly natural for people to have negative thoughts though like cost, amount of work, was it the right choice etc...it's like climbing a mountain to get in just so you can get over the summit and see another mountain 10 times bigger. I couldn't believe the amount of work and energy just to get in and it's only the begining.

Yeah, I was pretty relieved. I see you are going to Wingate next year. I am a P1 there now, you are going to love it. Dont worry about any failure rate. Only one guy in my class failed BSI and last year we had a 100% NAPLEX passing rate. Good Luck

I got accepted right out of my high school with scholarship. I was a kid back then, didnt even know what I was getting into. I did it because all of my friends did it.

Relieved and frustrated because I sent my deposit to Wingate already... so I lost that $500. My school sent me an email saying I was accepted.... instead of a big letter in the mail. Would have been more exciting if I had the whole letter opening experience, instead of seeing the subject line "Welcome and congratulations!" right next to "ENLARGE YOUR PENIS GUARANTEED XXX" spam email.

For all the current pharmacy students or now pharmacists, how did you feel when you were accepted?

I felt so relieved when I got my acceptance but almost immediately I freaked out over how much my educational debt would be when I graduated...$180K (including undergrad). I considered the military but I ended up deciding against that and just convincing myself to live within my means and pull some OT once out of school. My goal is to pay off that tab within 5 years of graduating (is this feasible?).

Now for my next worry...I am so freaked out after reading the "failure rate" threads! I feel like I had to work really hard to get here and overcome a lot of dumb freshman mistakes. I just worry my undergrad is somehow inadequate or something even though I'm a senior Biochemistry major... Anyone else feel this way before school started? I just want to tell myself I'll be fine with a lot of work but I just hate to think my classes will be loads harder than my cytology/histology, immunology and genetics etc. classes were in undergrad...

Sorry for the randomness I'm just really getting some P1 jitters...:confused:
Congrats on the acceptance man!!

Here is what I'll tell you: DO NOT WORRY TOO MUCH!!! Life is short and you've made it this far so start enjoying it while it lasts

School works: You are a senior in biochem so you've already had an edge compared to those newbies coming in with just prereqs. And YES, it'll get freaking ugly and stressful during the program BUT you'll learn to adapt gradually!!! The hardest part is always the first semester when you'll carry 16+ hours. Once you can live thru that first semester without severe hyperventilation or tachycardia, you'll survive the rest of the program! Remember that first year is always invested in general stuffs, nothing really hard-core specialized will be taught during first year. So it'll be the training period for you to adapt to stress and heavy course-load! No Need to worry about the illusion that you'll thrown right to the wolves :smuggrin::rolleyes:. Besides, you've been thru undergrad with biochem major-a tough one man, so you should have quite a tough skin already.

Money/tutition: Pharmacy school is a life-long investment! Yes, it's true that you might have to live "like a student" now. But you won't be living "like a student" at all once you get out and get a job that pays well. Just think of it as a saving account or a bank CD which will give you a bunch afterwards.

Things to do this summer: PARTY all you want, do whatever pleases you: travel, eat, drink, dates etc. If you are one of those chronic worriers, you might start memorizing the names of top 200 drugs. JUST THE NAMES (brands and generic) please!!!! Do not even bother learning anything else cause trust me you'll forget those by second week of school and they'll be taught to you again during the first year. And don't stress youself out over these top 200, just look at them as hobbies or 1-word-a-day type of thing. And remember you do not even need to do them!

Good luck man!:thumbup:

I was deeply relieved. Little did I know how much my life was going to change and how, within a year's period, I would be freaked out and worried. I'd do it all again, but advise you to enjoy the initial euphoria and even the anxiety over the unknown. Anxiety about things you imagine is much different than anxiety about things that are in your face.

Pharm school is great because of what it brings after graduation, not for what it brings while attending. (Except that I've made some amazing friends over the last two years, which is invaluable.) What a difference two years makes. I see pictures of myself from the white coat ceremony and I wonder who that person is. :laugh:

Hey, congrats on getting into a pharmacy school! Ok now, relax and breathe. You just got into a pharmacy school and you're already worried about the coursework and such. Yes, it's good to worry about it but don't freak yourself out about it.

Cost/tuition: Yes most likely you'll have loans and it's going to be 100K+ by the time you graduate, but this is a rewarding career and you will be able to pay this loan off.

Failure rate: Why are you worrying about failure rate? Don't expect yourself to fail, don't think that you will fail, always put your best efforts into your studies and you'll do fine. Plus, you already have gone to college you have the studying skills and diligence to do get by pharmacy school.

Courses: I transferred into my pharmacy school, and you know, I thought maybe whatever I learned in my other college was inadequate for pharmacy school too (gen chem, bio, etc). But you know what, info is info. You already have a biochem background and that's excellent for pharmacy courses. I mean you're not going to sail through every class without doing some studying and putting hours of work into it, but having that biochem background will help you. I wished I had a biochem background!

Anyway, I got my letter in the mail, it was tiny (and you know they say tiny letters = did not get in), so I was like.. ugh.. great. I opened it and my school placed a car decal in it, and told me I was accepted! My mom was the one who gave me the letter, I just got home from classes.

I felt a lot better then than I feel now!
haha.. exactly.. that feeling faded away over time... then I begin to be worried about next things bla bla bla..

I was so happy not only because of the acceptance letter, but i was able to successfully secured a scholarship. I believe this will rescue me from huge financial debt.