How did you decide on a school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bikinibots

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I got accepted to UIC and Regis and I am trying to decide between the 2 schools. I really liked the diversity of UIC and Chicago and I know I will be able to connect with the people there. Chicago is also the 2nd highest employment for PTs which is also a plus because UIC has many connections.

However, the cost for UIC is about 25k more than Regis. Regis is a great school, when comparing the 2 programs, I could tell the Professors showed more interest in students in Regis than in UIC. However, I don't think I could see myself living in Denver and I found it hard to connect with the people there.

I guess my question is for those that have gone through this process, how did you decide between schools and what factors did you look at/ are most important?

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your acceptances! What a wonderful thing to have choices--I know many folks out there struggle to get in any place.

I hear your concerns re: connecting with folks there. Thus far, I've been accepted to UT-El Paso, Georgia State, and University of Southern California. I've been rejected by San Diego State and I'm still waiting on Duke *skeleton meme*.

TL;DR: I bailed on USC solely because of price. I bailed on Georgia State because they were a little vague and unavailable to answer my questions over the course of a week. I chose UTEP because El Paso has some career opportunities for my SO, and it was by far the cheapest option at $40k. I'm not jazzed about living in El Paso, and I can't quite say why since I'm originally from a border town myself. I suppose with any program, I worry that I'll be an odd man out at 28, practically married, liberal arts degree, etc etc. but I'm just taking a leap of faith. I will say I was kind of worried that USC, Duke, and Georgia State were a little too white for me. I went to pretty much an all-white liberal arts college, and like with everything, if people aren't use to "diversity" (LOL) then they can say some ignorant things. I suppose I was worried to deal with that again even though it's 2019 and people are more "woke" and "tolerant"

Last edited:
Hi, I got accepted to UIC and Regis and I am trying to decide between the 2 schools. I really liked the diversity of UIC and Chicago and I know I will be able to connect with the people there. Chicago is also the 2nd highest employment for PTs which is also a plus because UIC has many connections.

However, the cost for UIC is about 25k more than Regis. Regis is a great school, when comparing the 2 programs, I could tell the Professors showed more interest in students in Regis than in UIC. However, I don't think I could see myself living in Denver and I found it hard to connect with the people there.

I guess my question is for those that have gone through this process, how did you decide between schools and what factors did you look at/ are most important?

Thank you so much.

I think it's important to choose a school with students/people you like bc they will be your support system throughout the program. Out of everyone in the world, the'll most likely understand what you're going through atm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on your acceptances! What a wonderful thing to have choices--I know many folks out there struggle to get in any place.

I hear your concerns re: connecting with folks there. Thus far, I've been accepted to UT-El Paso, Georgia State, and University of Southern California. I've been rejected by San Diego State and I'm still waiting on Duke *skeleton meme*.

TL;DR: I bailed on USC solely because of price. I bailed on Georgia State because they were a little vague and unavailable to answer my questions over the course of a week. I chose UTEP because El Paso has some career opportunities for my SO, and it was by far the cheapest option at $40k. I'm not jazzed about living in El Paso, and I can't quite say why since I'm originally from a border town myself. I suppose with any program, I worry that I'll be an odd man out at 28, practically married, liberal arts degree, etc etc. but I'm just taking a leap of faith. I will say I was kind of worried that USC, Duke, and Georgia State were a little too white for me. I went to pretty much an all-white liberal arts college, and like with everything, if people aren't use to "diversity" (LOL) then they can say some ignorant things. I suppose I was worried to deal with that again even though it's 2019 and people are more "woke" and "tolerant"
Hi Pelado,

I am glad someone understands what I am going through, thank you so much for sharing your process and good luck in PT school!! WE DID IT!! :) Also, don't be worried about being an odd man out, you have so much experiences in life to share about!

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's important to choose a school with students/people you like bc they will be your support system throughout the program. Out of everyone in the world, the'll most likely understand what you're going through atm.
Hi JM3_33, I completely agree, but I just can't seem to ignore the cost difference in both schools haha!

Hi JM3_33, I completely agree, but I just can't seem to ignore the cost difference in both schools haha!
You can always make clinical affiliations in chicago and choose the cheaper school :)

[QUOTE="Chicago is also the 2nd highest employment for PTs which is also a plus because UIC has many connections.[/QUOTE]
I would not worry about employment rate for PT while choosing the area where you go to school. You will be able to find a job pretty much anywhere and without any school connections.