How crucial is PPS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calrx

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into PGY2 programs and have already contacted a few programs. I'd rather not waste the $150 bucks for PPS. How important do you think PPS is if you're looking for a PGY2 spot? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking into PGY2 programs and have already contacted a few programs. I'd rather not waste the $150 bucks for PPS. How important do you think PPS is if you're looking for a PGY2 spot? Thanks for your help!

pharmacy students and pharmacists make very little sense to me sometimes. You are willing to take the ~$60k pay cut to do an additional year of residency and yet you want to risk potentially missing out on getting into a good PGY-2 program just so you can save a measly $150?

pharmacy students and pharmacists make very little sense to me sometimes. You are willing to take the ~$60k pay cut to do an additional year of residency and yet you want to risk potentially missing out on getting into a good PGY-2 program just so you can save a measly $150?

Clearly $150 is not the same to everyone, no matter how much you assume they make. You have no idea what financial situation individuals are in. Furthermore, the question of if PPS is appropriate venue for seeking PGY-2 and worth his money is a very legitimate question IMO.

I wish people use some tact and shut up if they don't have an answer

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally did not choose the PPS route for my PGY2 2/2 to time constraints and for the simple fact that I didn't decide on my PGY2 specialty until 2 weeks before Midyear.

I would say that PPS is ideal for someone who already knows what specialty they are interested in at least by Nov 1st and are prepared for a mini-interview during Midyear + have a polished CV ready to go.

I think that not doing PPS did end up hurting me somewhat as one of the programs I was interested in soley recruited through PPS (Doh!) and the larger number of individuals seeking a PGY2 made the playing field a lot more competitive (I feel that PPS attendees might have gotten the leg up on me in scoring an interview).

That being said, it is only a week til Midyear, and I am very happy with where I matched for my second year. So, the decision is up to you, but if you already signed up for PPS, I think it will be money well spent.

Clearly $150 is not the same to everyone, no matter how much you assume they make. You have no idea what financial situation individuals are in. Furthermore, the question of if PPS is appropriate venue for seeking PGY-2 and worth his money is a very legitimate question IMO.

I wish people use some tact and shut up if they don't have an answer

I know $150 might seem like a good bit of money but my point is that in comparison to the OP's decision to pursue an additional year of residency training (which will cost tens of thousands of dollars in lost salary), it really is pretty insignificant when you consider that it will improve their chances of getting into a PGY-2 program that's the right fit for them.

I probably should have worded that a little nicer but seriously, it's a no-brainer!

I probably should have worded that a little nicer but seriously, it's a no-brainer!

I don't really think it was a stupid question. If PPS isn't really helpful, that $150 could be used in a lot of places. If PPS is helpful, then it is worth the money. The OP was asking if PPS is important (which many of us who have not gone through the process yet don't know). My impression is they are willing to spend the money if PPS will improve their chances, but would prefer not to if it won't. Makes sense to me :)

BTW- I already paid for PPS, but if anyone has any input on how useful it is or how to take advantage of it/prepare for it, I'd love to hear too!

I think the consensus has always been that PPS isn't crucial but it will definitely improve your chances and it will open additional opportunities since some programs require interviews through PPS. If that's not worth $150 to a prospective PGY-2 applicant, something is wrong.

I think the consensus has always been that PPS isn't crucial but it will definitely improve your chances and it will open additional opportunities since some programs require interviews through PPS. If that's not worth $150 to a prospective PGY-2 applicant, something is wrong.

I honestly didn't know it would help. A lot of things are supposed to help get interviews/jobs/etc but don't. I only know one person who has done a PGY2, and she did not do PPS. I only registered for it hoping that it would be useful. I'm not at all surprised that someone else didn't know.

I would say pretty darn crucial for PGY2. Doesn't matter at all for PGY1.

And if nothing else, I used it to cross programs off my list just as much as I used it to rule them in. You can find out in that 30 minutes if the director is someone you want to work with/for for a year.

But some programs interview 30+ people at PPS; having a face to a name will absolutely matter when they invite the <10 (probably more like <5) people for interviews.

I would say pretty darn crucial for PGY2. Doesn't matter at all for PGY1.

And if nothing else, I used it to cross programs off my list just as much as I used it to rule them in. You can find out in that 30 minutes if the director is someone you want to work with/for for a year.

But some programs interview 30+ people at PPS; having a face to a name will absolutely matter when they invite the <10 (probably more like <5) people for interviews.

I'm glad- and terrified- that it was this useful.

Thank you all for your response. I'm not whining about forking over the money if PPS is actually helpful & worthwhile. I know it's useless for PGY1 seekers and didn't know if I should assume the same for PGY2s. I, like every other resident, could certainly put $155 towards a million other things right now- rent, wedding fund, etc.- so I'm definitely being frugal this year! I signed up for PPS & have 5 interviews scheduled. Hopefully it will pay off.....

Can someone explain why it's a good idea for PGY2 programs but not PGY1?