how competitive this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockfordgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
generally speaking how competitive is it this year for the top and mid tier programs...

...let's say my step 1 score is higher than 225 but not quite 230

...all my clinnical grades are at least honors (on a scale of "high honors, honors, pass, fail")

...i have great letters from people who are not necessarily well known, one of them is a rehab doc

....NO research, zilch

-am I good for interviews at top tier programs?
-assuming I interview well, do I need to be worried about finding a job

any and all feedback welcome and appreciated, thank you

Members don't see this ad.

it gets more competitive every year
in the past 2 years its shot way up and I assume it'll be more so this year
I have no doubts you'll get interviews from all the programs you want so long as they have open dates. Beyond that is a guess
One thing that has really changed is the number of FMG/caribbean grads - I know many programs don't even consider them anymore.

rockfordgirl said:
generally speaking how competitive is it this year for the top and mid tier programs...

...all my clinnical grades are at least honors (on a scale of "high honors, honors, pass, fail")

...i have great letters from people who are not necessarily well known, one of them is a rehab doc

....NO research, zilch

You'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
rockfordgirl said:

....NO research, zilch

The Washington University Website that gives info on the different residencies rates PM&R Highly Competitive this year. Other residency programs that are Highly Competitive are Plastic Surgery, ENT, DERM. You get the picture. But from my experience on the interview trail is that it's not highly competitive but very competitive. Whatever that's worth. But with your numbers, you should be fine. I had worse a STEP ONE, all B's on my rotations, good letters, failed STEP 2. I think I got interviews from all the top places except Spaulding and Craig. And from what I heard, they are overrated anyway.

Interesting...
I looked up washu site DJ mentioned and posted it here
link = http://residency.wustl.edu/medadmin...2a20a564b2ed7d2c86256f8f00747a45?OpenDocument

US MATCH STATISTICS
Competitiveness(*)

2005 : High
2004 : Intermediate
2003 : Intermediate
2002 : Low

Competitiveness is based on the percentage of U.S. seniors who match in each specialty.

2005 2004 2003 2002
# Categorical/ Advanced positions available for U.S. Seniors
356 343 353 323
% U.S. Seniors matched*
80 *92 *94 *97
# Unfilled Categorical/ Advanced Positions
21 15 20 34
#Unmatched U.S. seniors
48 17 9 3