How competitive of a Dental school applicant would I be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KL0012

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just finished taking my DAT today as an incoming Junior in college and recorded the following scores:

PAT: 22
QR:19
RC: 23
BIO: 19
GC: 19
OC: 20
TS: 19
AA: 20

I currently have a 4.0 science and cumulative gpa (after sophomore year). My electives include being a volunteer dental assistant at a pediatric dental clinic, research assistant at a psychology/biology lab, 400 hours of volunteer experience (college), starting a program/club which takes trips to schools in the community to educate children about dental hygiene, etc.

While my GPA and extra curriculars are where I would like, I'm worried that my science scores/AA might keep my application from being less than ideal for top schools (UCLA, Upenn, U Pacific, etc.). I was just wondering if anyone knew how competitive of an applicant I would be at top schools or as an applicant overall.

Thanks so much everyone--
Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Not too competitive at 'top schools' with DAT averages above your own, but still competitive at most schools given your GPA. Unless you're really intent on attending a specific school with a higher DAT average than your own, I don't think a retake is necessary.

Reactions: 2 users
Not too competitive at 'top schools' with DAT averages above your own, but still competitive at most schools given your GPA. Unless you're really intent on attending a specific school with a higher DAT average than your own, I don't think a retake is necessary.

That's good to know, when I apply I was planning to apply to maybe 1 or 2 "top schools" but applying to more "middle" or "lower" schools, do you think this would be a good strategy or should I forget applying to higher schools at all? Thanks so much for answering!!

Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good to know, when I apply I was planning to apply to maybe 1 or 2 "top schools" but applying to more "middle" or "lower" schools, do you think this would be a good strategy or should I forget applying to higher schools at all? Thanks so much for answering!!

Cheers

I think that's a pretty good strategy. You can still apply to a few reach schools, just make sure you have other schools closer to your stats in the mix.

It seems to me you have all the right pieces to reach the top tier schools with a DAT retake so why not give it your all and get a 22 on your DAT? Best of luck!

Your DAT scores are middle of the road, maybe a little under the average (at my school anyway), but your GPA is good. You would get into some good programs, but highly competitive schools that have averages of AA/TS of 22AA-23AA are a reach for you. But this process is very unpredictable so nobody can say for sure.

You should have lots of interviews to choose from if you apply broadly.