How competitive is the school I'm looking at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkStarling

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Ohio as a holder of a degree in science education. I wish to attend Toledo as it is the cheapest option and I would not have to take any loans. I also work in a pharmacy as a tech which I think will make me slightly more competitive. I will not have time with working and my commute to school to do many ECS. I'd only have to do 2 semesters of prerequisites to catch up.

When I was doing my first degree everyone talked about getting into the pharmacy program there was so incredibly hard you had to be a hybrid unicorn mermaid to do it. But the p1 profile for last year looks like this:

http://www.utoledo.edu/pharmacy/about/p1classpro.html

That equates to a 67% acceptance rate and the pcat composition does not seem especially competitive? Am I interpreting this data correctly or is there something I am missing? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I live in Ohio as a holder of a degree in science education. I wish to attend Toledo as it is the cheapest option and I would not have to take any loans. I also work in a pharmacy as a tech which I think will make me slightly more competitive. I will not have time with working and my commute to school to do many ECS. I'd only have to do 2 semesters of prerequisites to catch up.

When I was doing my first degree everyone talked about getting into the pharmacy program there was so incredibly hard you had to be a hybrid unicorn mermaid to do it. But the p1 profile for last year looks like this:

http://www.utoledo.edu/pharmacy/about/p1classpro.html

That equates to a 67% acceptance rate and the pcat composition does not seem especially competitive? Am I interpreting this data correctly or is there something I am missing? Thanks.

This data is fudged to misrepresent the school's competitiveness. 67% acceptance rate is including people that were accepted and went to other schools. THe real acceptance rate for utoledo is above 95%. That being said this is an EXPENSIVE school and not a good investment. If you are in that geo-area you should be attending LECOM in Erie,PA as it is more affordable.

This data is fudged to misrepresent the school's competitiveness. 67% acceptance rate is including people that were accepted and went to other schools. THe real acceptance rate for utoledo is above 95%. That being said this is an EXPENSIVE school and not a good investment. If you are in that geo-area you should be attending LECOM in Erie,PA as it is more affordable.

I think you may have it confused with another school. It is a public school and during years 3 and 4, the most expensive, tuition is about 25k. For the whole year. P1 and 2 only 17k range Tuition at LECOM is over 35k a year.

That said, I did not consider people who did not go there. The advisor said enrollment is declining too. They are opening to pharmcas next year and I'm not sure if that will make it more or less competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you may have it confused with another school. It is a public school and during years 3 and 4, the most expensive, tuition is about 25k. For the whole year. P1 and 2 only 17k range Tuition at LECOM is over 35k a year.

That said, I did not consider people who did not go there. The advisor said enrollment is declining too. They are opening to pharmcas next year and I'm not sure if that will make it more or less competitive.

I am not mistaken at all. LECOM's tuition is 26,000 a year * 3 years + 1 year of working -120,000 = +39,000. Your state school over the same time peroid is -84,000. Your public school is 123,000 more expensive, which is a ton more expensive and clearly a ripoff. You confused LECOM med school tuition with pharmacy tuition.

That being said you should not be going into pharmacy at all because it is hyper saturated and a dying field.

https://lecom.edu/admissions/tuition-and-financial-aid/school-of-pharmacy-tuition-fees/

I am not mistaken at all. LECOM's tuition is 26,000 a year * 3 years + 1 year of working -120,000 = +39,000. Your state school over the same time peroid is -84,000. Your public school is 123,000 more expensive, which is a ton more expensive and clearly a ripoff. You confused LECOM med school tuition with pharmacy tuition.

That being said you should not be going into pharmacy at all because it is hyper saturated and a dying field.

https://lecom.edu/admissions/tuition-and-financial-aid/school-of-pharmacy-tuition-fees/

How are you going to factor in a year of work as 120000 if there won't be a job to get? Since there are literally zero jobs. You can't be in the camp that there's no job to get then value a year of time as 120k because where would that come from without a nice pharmacy job? This calculation is a bit bogus.

How are you going to factor in a year of work as 120000 if there won't be a job to get? Since there are literally zero jobs. You can't be in the camp that there's no job to get then value a year of time as 120k because where would that come from without a nice pharmacy job? This calculation is a bit bogus.

We are talking hypotheticals. Realistically there won't be a job lined up if you start school in 2016 or later.

I remember seeing how cheap Toledo was and looking into it, but finding out they are essentially a "0-6" program. As a transfer from another program, Toledo will not let you complete the PharmD program in 4 years:

http://www.utoledo.edu/pharmacy/prospective/transfer_student.html

"All transfer students will enter the College of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences in the first or second year of the preprofessional division. Transfer students are not automatically admitted into the professional division, regardless of credits earned at other institutions."

and

"Transfer students can expect to matriculate for a minimum of three years for the BSPS degree or five years for the PharmD degree."

Unless you were planning on taking your pre-reqs at Toledo also? If that's the case, then disregard this post.

I remember seeing how cheap Toledo was and looking into it, but finding out they are essentially a "0-6" program. As a transfer from another program, Toledo will not let you complete the PharmD program in 4 years:

http://www.utoledo.edu/pharmacy/prospective/transfer_student.html

"All transfer students will enter the College of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences in the first or second year of the preprofessional division. Transfer students are not automatically admitted into the professional division, regardless of credits earned at other institutions."

and

"Transfer students can expect to matriculate for a minimum of three years for the BSPS degree or five years for the PharmD degree."

Unless you were planning on taking your pre-reqs at Toledo also? If that's the case, then disregard this post.

I was going to. I'm actually going to do nursing then a future cnp as it aligns more with my interests.

That said, they are actually dropping the requirement to take courses there and moving to pharmcas because their enrollment numbers are dropping in the program. 0 to 12 students will be cut this cycle only based on the enrollment figures the advisor sent me. I think it's because the two 0 6 programs here in state are attractive to those starting college for the first time out of HS.

We have 7 pharmacy schools in ohio. Osu and Cincinnati are very competitive and I believe require a bachelor. But yeah, soon anyone will have the option of applying to toledo after 2 years as long as the prerequisite courses are met.

I was going to. I'm actually going to do nursing then a future cnp as it aligns more with my interests.

That said, they are actually dropping the requirement to take courses there and moving to pharmcas because their enrollment numbers are dropping in the program. 0 to 12 students will be cut this cycle only based on the enrollment figures the advisor sent me. I think it's because the two 0 6 programs here in state are attractive to those starting college for the first time out of HS.

We have 7 pharmacy schools in ohio. Osu and Cincinnati are very competitive and I believe require a bachelor. But yeah, soon anyone will have the option of applying to toledo after 2 years as long as the prerequisite courses are met.

That is a wise choice, nursing is a great career for those who can handle it. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user