How competitive is Anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMMS FMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to how competitive it is to match into an Anesthesia program. I got a 220 on Step 1 and am doing well so far in MS3 year (honors in medicine, HP in OB). I did research during my MS1/MS2 break (although it was in emergency medicine)... Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine, dude. You'll get plenty of interviews. Take Step II whenever you want. Thread should end here.

The competitiveness of anesthesia is somewhere between Rad-Onc and Derm.

Here is the data from the NRMP + AAMC joint residency match data that came out for the 2005 class:

Anesthesiology
U.S. Seniors All Others
Number of Applicants 965 544
Applicants per position 0.75 0.42
Mean USMLE Step 1 Score 216 213
Mean Contiguous Ranks 9.6 6.6
Percent AOA 6 1
Percent with publications 47 41
Percent with research projects 81 72
Number of Positions in Main Match 1283

Sorry if it's hard to read, I had cut and paste it from a pdf document. Be cautious of the "publications" and "research projects" numbers because a poster presentation at your school may be entered at a "publication".... so I wouldn't take those numbers too seriously.

But average step1 score a year or two ago was just around the national average... read that however you want to... but realize there are less applicants than spots out there, it just happens that many community programs don't fill.

Actually there are more applicants than spots...(.75 + .42 ) > 1. I have not seen the numbers for this year yet, but I'm betting the number of US grads applying is up again.