How competitive do you have to be for A/I to match ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danvasta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an IMG requiring a visa at a mid-low tier university program applying to allergy this year. I've done a poster presentation, 1 case report that was published and other projects that are currently either submitted or underway and will not be published by the time I apply including co-authoring a chapter in the allergy field with someone well known in the field (again no publication for this but has been submitted). I feel somewhat non competitive being and IMG and requiring a visa. I'm working on an away rotation as well- our institution has no allergy fellowship. I feel confident about my letters but I don't feel confident about matching. What do you guys think ?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're coming from a university program that is a plus. By having done a poster presentation you are already ahead of the game and a published case report....even better! Be sure to include the "in progress" projects....still a big positive. Co-authoring a chapter in a book is quite significant. Letters are probably one of the most important components of the application process. When I matched AI a few years ago I didn't have a letter of recommendation from an allergist/immunologist, but the letters I did have were good from what I hear. I don't think being an IMG at this point (you're in a university residency program) should make a difference. Also, if you're in peds as opposed to IM....I think that is a positive too.