How competitive am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brc1123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am applying to Internal Medicine soon and am picking which schools to signal and apply to. I am confident I will match but am trying to get into the best possible program. Can you please help me decide how competitive I am and what schools/tier of schools I should apply to?

Here are my stats:

Step 1: 234
Step 2: 255

OBGYN: High Pass
Peds: High Pass
Psych: Pass
Surgery: High Pass
Family Med: Honors
IM: High Pass
Sub I in IM: Honors

2nd Tertile (like 2nd or 3rd Quartile)

Currently US MD senior coming from a mid-tier program.
Masters in Science.
I am confident my letters are pretty strong as I knew the writers very well.
2 away rotations before I apply.
I took a gap year where I did research and community service so probably have an above average amount of research and volunteer work.
3 publications (1 paper and 2 abstracts, 1 abstract was presented at a conference) and 2 currently submitted papers.
Average amount of work experience.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably upper mid tier university IM and below. So Geisel, Mayo, CCF, Virginia and anything below. The listed might be reached but I would say targets would be in the BMC, Tufts, Loyola, UIC, Loma Linda, Minnesota tier

Personally think that T20 programs would be a stretch without some hook but might as well apply to a few if you want

Thanks,
I was also wondering what programs I should signal.

I currently have:
NYU
University of Chicago
Icahn School of Medicine
Brown
Cornell
UNC

but was also considering:
Albert Einstein Montefiore (Moses and Weiler)
Columbia
UCLA
Stanford
University of Pennsylvania
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Southern California
Georgetown
University of Washington
The George Washington University
Emory
Dartmouth
University of California San Diego

Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think the following are realistic and signals should be used for more reasonable reaches (ie ccf or Geisel)

NYU
University of Chicago
Cornell
Columbia
UCLA
Stanford
University of Pennsylvania

I chose NYU and UChicago because I fell within the range for Step 1 and Step 2.
I agree some are a stretch but my idea of using signals was to potentially get an interview at a stretch school rather than secure a school I may get an interview at anyways.

Yes but when looking at ranges you have to consider that they will be higher from non-home students. These programs probably take a bunch of NYU/Uchicago/other T10 students at a much higher rate. Students from non T20 med schools probably need higher scores. This might also help

I think it’s worth shooting your shot but you definitely need more programs that are more of a “safety” for you.

Edit: i wouldn’t signal all those more reach programs since since they’re limited.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user