"how can you make the program better?" and the like

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shazam243

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always had trouble answering this question. And now, I feel that for residencies, what you can bring should be something more tangible than "a different perspective of something" or a "positive attitude". What are residency interviewers looking for when they ask this? And what are some of the better/best answers you've gotten?

Members don't see this ad.

I have always had trouble answering this question. And now, I feel that for residencies, what you can bring should be something more tangible than "a different perspective of something" or a "positive attitude". What are residency interviewers looking for when they ask this? And what are some of the better/best answers you've gotten?

It's not going to a be groundbreaking answer to this question. You don't really know the program well enough to say how specifically you can make it better so I would just use it as an opportunity to talk about your strengths and if you can apply one or two to the program then that's a bonus.

Reactions: 1 users
Highlight experiences in medical and undergrad that allow for improved communication, research or QIP stuff - basically this is an opportunity to sell yourself

Tell them something you do differently and better than others.
"I was an industrial operations engineer major in undergrad, so I'm always looking to evaluate new environments to look for areas of improvement." (Don't say deficiencies or issues)
"I was a history major in undergrad, and that required me to have more anthropology and sociology courses. I want to help interns work within new environments."
"I was an ER scribe for 3 years before medical school, so I have a fair understanding of how to really chart well as a physician. I can help coach other interns."

Etc. Depending on the program, bringing up your research may not help (is the program a community one where research is a lower priority than at the State University?), saying you're a team player (everyone thinks they are whether they are or not), and "I bring a positive and energetic attitude" (generic response) aren't terribly unique.