how can i track my number of hours for vet service and/or volenteer hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vet4ever

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can i just write down how long i was there and where i volenteered/ job shadowed? or is there a specal way to track it that will give a clear discription? many thanks!:love:

Members don't see this ad.

any one there??????????????

People aren't always watching the board so sometimes it takes a while to get a response and it's important to be patient!

As for logging your hours - they don't need to be exact, but you should have a general idea (I'd say within 25 hours) of how much you worked where.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
People aren't always watching the board so sometimes it takes a while to get a response and it's important to be patient!

As for logging your hours - they don't need to be exact, but you should have a general idea (I'd say within 25 hours) of how much you worked where.

Hope this helps!

so i would be good with just writing the time and where i did it at on a sheet of paper?

well when you end up applying there's a whole form with the following:

Name:
Number of Hours:
Description of Duties:
Date Started:
Date Ended:
Type of Animals:

For your own personal records, keeping a notebook is probably the best way to go, just with hours worked and stuff like that.

well when you end up applying there's a whole form with the following:

Name:
Number of Hours:
Description of Duties:
Date Started:
Date Ended:
Type of Animals:

For your own personal records, keeping a notebook is probably the best way to go, just with hours worked and stuff like that.

thanks!

I actually kept a calendar with times and with that and my paychecks was able to come up with a number. But I would highly recommend going the notebook route. When you come in from volunteering or working, just write the number of hours in the notebook and jot down if you did something interesting and total it once a month. Easy as pie!

I actually kept a calendar with times and with that and my paychecks was able to come up with a number. But I would highly recommend going the notebook route. When you come in from volunteering or working, just write the number of hours in the notebook and jot down if you did something interesting and total it once a month. Easy as pie!

Haha you were much more on top of this than I was! I checked though Avimark to see how many hours I worked at one practice, and I got paid in cash at another practice so I kept my log myself so I knew how many hours I worked. And my large animal experience was a disaster - I went through several years of 4-H so it was me sitting down and thinking "how many hours a day did I work with the animals? What about during fair week?" and I pretty much wanted to hurt someone.

Bottom line: keep a log or you'll hate yourself later!

you can always use your W-4 if its a paid job

you can always use your W-4 if its a paid job

Amen! Man, I was pulling out pay stubs from eight years ago over the summer while trying to figure out hours for the VMCAS application. I suppose I could have estimated from memory, but it's nice to see some of the stuff I've saved over the years serve an actual purpose! Then, of course, the non-employment stuff was harder because I didn't keep a hard record of the hours. That would probably be a helpful thing to log!

VMCAS is just a big pain in the ass if you ask me. i know its necessary, but geez! i guess the only good thing about applying more than once is that you still only have to figure it out once!

I found it helpful to record all of my hours in an Excel Spreadsheet...it has a time function, so I never had to add the hours by hand. I used different workbooks in the same spreadsheet to separate all of my different experiences, i.e. one for the clinic, one for the zoo, one for research etc. I also found the spreadsheet helpful in projecting future hours for my personal knowledge...like, how many hours a week for the next few weeks could I work to bring my total up to a specific number?

I found it helpful to record all of my hours in an Excel Spreadsheet...it has a time function, so I never had to add the hours by hand. I used different workbooks in the same spreadsheet to separate all of my different experiences, i.e. one for the clinic, one for the zoo, one for research etc. I also found the spreadsheet helpful in projecting future hours for my personal knowledge...like, how many hours a week for the next few weeks could I work to bring my total up to a specific number?
That'd be the route I'd go. I kept track of my practicum hours this way (or at least tried to. :laugh:)

-t

WOW! all such good ideas for me to do!!!!!!!!!!! now i just have to choose which one!!!!! HHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM??????????????????????????????

That'd be the route I'd go. I kept track of my practicum hours this way (or at least tried to. :laugh:)

-t

The above are all terrific ideas! I used a journal for my first few years working at different vet clinics and when I worked at the zoo. It is a real kick to go back and read through those journals and see how much I have learned over the years and what my perceptions were back then.

I also made sure that I saved the last paystub of each year in my important papers file (or W2 is a great idea also!) so I could see how many hours I worked. This really payed off when I was registering for my state's certified vet tech test and for VMCAS- I already had all of my hours tallied up!

But this quote says it all to me: "or at least tried to" Because it takes a lot of discipline to keep up a log. I keep a log in my current job just to show what I get done every day since I only meet with my supervisor once a week. As usual :p I am behind and Sunday night I will be in a rush to remember what I have done all week before my Monday morning meeting. But if you get several months behind, then you will really have a hard time remembering. So make sure you keep up with it, it really will be worth it in the end.

The above are all terrific ideas! I used a journal for my first few years working at different vet clinics and when I worked at the zoo. It is a real kick to go back and read through those journals and see how much I have learned over the years and what my perceptions were back then.

I also made sure that I saved the last paystub of each year in my important papers file (or W2 is a great idea also!) so I could see how many hours I worked. This really payed off when I was registering for my state's certified vet tech test and for VMCAS- I already had all of my hours tallied up!

But this quote says it all to me: "or at least tried to" Because it takes a lot of discipline to keep up a log. I keep a log in my current job just to show what I get done every day since I only meet with my supervisor once a week. As usual :p I am behind and Sunday night I will be in a rush to remember what I have done all week before my Monday morning meeting. But if you get several months behind, then you will really have a hard time remembering. So make sure you keep up with it, it really will be worth it in the end.
that would also work to! aw man there are soooooo manny good ideas to choose from!:love: thanks to all who have posted!

say- speaking of paystubs, what was your 1st paying job with animals? i really want to get a job and i really want it to be with animals!

This has been a great discussion thread for me since I'm just starting out and will now do it right from the start!

I'm keeping a computer journal of all my volunteer days with what I did, and what I saw, incl hours & doctors present, etc.

And if I ever get paid for being there, I will definitely keep my pay stubs too!

:p

This has been a great discussion thread for me since I'm just starting out and will now do it right from the start!

I'm keeping a computer journal of all my volunteer days with what I did, and what I saw, incl hours & doctors present, etc.

And if I ever get paid for being there, I will definitely keep my pay stubs too!

:p
totally agree!