How Can I Repair My Transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time no see. I hope all my friends in the Pre-Med world are doing well. I come to you today to ask for advice on how to best repair my transcript for DO school. I have considered Optometry/Podiatry but I realized after doing some soul searching that medicine is still something I very much want to pursue, however I know that in my current circumstances I am pretty much guaranteed to be rejected.

Some background. I am in my third year of undergrad and am currently preparing to graduate in the Summer of 2021. My grades were initially very good but after some issues with an OCD diagnosis, COVID online classes, and overloading myself with credit hours two semester in a row, my GPA took a nasty downward trend. I realize now what I have been doing wrong and I am committed to repairing my transcript, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing so. I have thought about an SMP with Linkage but I'm not sure if that would be the best option.

My current stats:
- 3.67 cGPA
- 3.50 sGPA
- no MCAT
-100+ Hours of shadowing spread across Nephrology/FM/Anesthesiology plus
- 200 +/- Clinical Hours as a Telemetry Monitor Tech
- 500 +/- Hours working as an Administrative Assistant at a Nephrology Practice
- Currently employed as an Optometry tech
- 60 hours of non-clinical volunteering at a local food bank

Here is a rough trend of how my GPA took a downward trend by semester GPA. From freshman year until now:
3.92 > 4.00 > 4.00 > 3.64 > 3.24 > 3.37

Again, the above is semester GPA.

I have two semesters left to repair my GPA at my home institution, but I know this will not be enough. I have currently nothing lower than a C-, but I have a C in Biochem and Physics I.

What should I do to reinvent myself? I know there is hope but I can't help but wonder if I should just switch to my backup plan. I really love Nephrology/Internal Medicine, and that is the only thing keeping me from just switching to a backup plan at this point. I want to at the very least try to pursue medicine, and if it doesn't work out I will have some closure.

Thank you guys for any help you can provide

@Goro @Angus Avagadro @LizzyM @PapaGuava
(Sorry to bother you guys about this)

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much Goro, so here is the best idea I have of year GPA. The semesters sort of run together after Sophomore Year so I wasnt sure how to calculate them because of how many credits I took

Freshman: 3.96
Sophomore: 3.80
Junior/Senior: 3.31

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much Goro, so here is the best idea I have of year GPA. The semesters sort of run together after Sophomore Year so I wasnt sure how to calculate them because of how many credits I took

U shaped curved are very common

Reactions: 1 user
I think OP is overreacting. No SMP or Post Bac is needed. As Goro said, destroy the last 2 semesters and with a good MCAT, you will go very far. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Do not apply to podiatry school or anything as a back up plan (Unless you really want to apply for those types of careers). Push for what you truly want, and if that is medical school, go out there and take it. Your stats are fine @Doktor_dud3 ,but the MCAT will be the final determinant of your application. So stay focused and make sure you do well on the MCAT to make your application process go a lot smoother. Good luck my friend!

• Love

Assuming a senior year bounce back, this wouldnt be an issue on the MD side either.

• Love
Thank you all so much, I am going to start studying for the MCAT and then do well during my final semesters to hopefully give myself a leg up at state MD/DO schools

Is this a serious question? I got in with a 3.25 average. My post-bacc was a 3.95 however. Either way, I'm really not sure why you're freaking out. Also my MCAT converted score was a 501.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Long time no see. I hope all my friends in the Pre-Med world are doing well. I come to you today to ask for advice on how to best repair my transcript for DO school. I have considered Optometry/Podiatry but I realized after doing some soul searching that medicine is still something I very much want to pursue, however I know that in my current circumstances I am pretty much guaranteed to be rejected.

Some background. I am in my third year of undergrad and am currently preparing to graduate in the Summer of 2021. My grades were initially very good but after some issues with an OCD diagnosis, COVID online classes, and overloading myself with credit hours two semester in a row, my GPA took a nasty downward trend. I realize now what I have been doing wrong and I am committed to repairing my transcript, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing so. I have thought about an SMP with Linkage but I'm not sure if that would be the best option.

My current stats:
- 3.67 cGPA
- 3.50 sGPA
- no MCAT
-100+ Hours of shadowing spread across Nephrology/FM/Anesthesiology plus
- 200 +/- Clinical Hours as a Telemetry Monitor Tech
- 500 +/- Hours working as an Administrative Assistant at a Nephrology Practice
- Currently employed as an Optometry tech
- 60 hours of non-clinical volunteering at a local food bank

Here is a rough trend of how my GPA took a downward trend by semester GPA. From freshman year until now:
3.92 > 4.00 > 4.00 > 3.64 > 3.24 > 3.37

Again, the above is semester GPA.

I have two semesters left to repair my GPA at my home institution, but I know this will not be enough. I have currently nothing lower than a C-, but I have a C in Biochem and Physics I.

What should I do to reinvent myself? I know there is hope but I can't help but wonder if I should just switch to my backup plan. I really love Nephrology/Internal Medicine, and that is the only thing keeping me from just switching to a backup plan at this point. I want to at the very least try to pursue medicine, and if it doesn't work out I will have some closure.

Thank you guys for any help you can provide

@Goro @Angus Avagadro @LizzyM @PapaGuava
(Sorry to bother you guys about this)
A post bacc or SMP that gives you a guaranteed admission to DO school also works.