How can I improve my chances of getting into USC DPT? (or any other DPT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

broccoli-babe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a bit nervous about applying to DPT programs because my grades are not ideal.
I have a 3.0 science GPA and a 3.3 overall GPA.

The last classes that I have taken were: Kinesiology, Biomechanics w/ lab, Exercise Physiology w/ lab, Therapeutic Modalities w/ lab.. I have gotten a 89.4-89.8% in all of those classes and so they were all B+s which really hurt the GPA. I got As in the labs though.

Otherwise, what really hurt me is that I have gotten a C in Lifespan Development, Anatomy and Physiology I and II, and Physics I.
I am taking a Social Psychology class to try to somewhat compensate for Lifespan Development.

By the end of the summer I will have 150 paid hours from one clinic, owned by a USC graduate, and about 120 volunteer hours from another clinic, owned by two USC graduates and one who is an part-time professor at USC. I am planning on taking another internship or continuing these internships in the fall and will be able to full-time and collect more hours. If I don't volunteer full-time, I would look to split my time as an Exercise Physiologist and volunteer hours.

I also work as a Personal Trainer. I have three clients -- one who is a 60-year old with a TKR and getting another TKR. She used to not be able to run and had balance issues but now she is able to run and walk up and down the stairs no problem. She has not taken Physical Therapy since she has been training me. The other client has wrist pain so I work around that. And my last client has no significant disabilities.

Other than that, my background is gymnastics, dance, and track & field in high school. I have had several concussions, several ankle injuries, and elbow dislocation and sprains. I believe that my experience as an athlete has really made me feel like I have a calling for Physical Therapy. Other interests include sculpture/3-D art (jewelry/metals, clay, fashion design), writing, and playing the guitar and viola. I also like to hike, take yoga classes, and travel.

I will take the GRE this fall, but wondering what are other measures I can take to improve my chances of getting in? Should I re-take classes and apply in the next seed?

I am hesitant to put this in my application as I feel like I have not faced as much adversity as others, but I have struggled with seeking psychological support where at some points I would be in denial that it would help me and when I have tried to with my school they have been so ridiculously difficult to schedule so that I have only ended up with a few sessions in the end. I didn't really feel like they helped much at the moment but recently I haven't felt as low as I did before. Never been medicated but have felt like this has impacted my self-efficacy to perform in school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I was in your position a couple of years ago. I overloaded myself by trying to earn my BS in three years while taking a ton of hard classes and balancing 3 jobs, which made for a low (~3.0) GPA and an even lower self-esteem. I went to counseling at my school, and while it helped, it didn't really change my circumstances. The only thing I can say to you, from my personal experience, is if it is meant to be, it will be. In the end, all of this stress and anxiety will only harm you more than it will help you. If you truly believe that PT is the career for you, you will find a way to make it happen. I had to take an extra 2 years in a rigorous Master's degree program, and retook half of my pre-req classes two or even three times to get to a point where I could be a competitive applicant and comfortably re-apply this cycle. Don't lose hope! There are so many different paths to take to get where you want to go. There is an insane number of non-traditional students in PT school (the average age of PT students is 27, after all!) that you are not alone.

Bottom line: Don't rush. You can try to apply this cycle, but if it doesn't happen, re-take all the classes where you got Cs, and try again. I think admissions committees admire persistence.

Good luck!

USC is a private university that will leave you with over a mortgage (Well over 200k after living expenses) in student debt with zero leg up on the job market. Unless your family will pay for everything....

I'm sorry. I'm trying to help you.

Go to an instate program and work in the meantime while retaking classes to improve a gpa if necessary. Knock out any undergrad debt if possible

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would absolutely get on retaking those pre reqs for an A. Find the cheapest community college you can. I worked as a personal trainer while I re took pre reqs. It was a great job that allowed me to earn money, cover my tuition (stay out of debt) and get the classes done in the middle of the day (I took early morning and evening clients).

You have to find ways to CONVINCE the admission committee that you can handle the coursework.
If you received "C" in science classes, they have no other way but to assume you will hover around "B/C". Plus these are graduate leveled courses (more dense/quicker pace).

2 ways to convince:
1) retake courses (I would make sure that the DPT programs you're applying to accept Community College credits) (also, certain programs do NOT accept anything below "C+" on prerequisite courses - thus, you might have to retake them)
2) Kill your GRE. This is another way to show the admission that you are capable of performing highly on difficult exams.

Current standing, you'll be waitlisted at USC at best. The others have given you plenty of good suggestions.

I'm more concerned with your client that had the TKA. Did the ortho clear this client for running? Treadmill only? Do you know the results of impact on the particular hardware that that surgeon installed? Do you know how to screen for infection or DVT? I'm hoping this client was far out from surgery before seeing you and was properly cleared by a PT or ortho.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I was in your position a couple of years ago. I overloaded myself by trying to earn my BS in three years while taking a ton of hard classes and balancing 3 jobs, which made for a low (~3.0) GPA and an even lower self-esteem. I went to counseling at my school, and while it helped, it didn't really change my circumstances. The only thing I can say to you, from my personal experience, is if it is meant to be, it will be. In the end, all of this stress and anxiety will only harm you more than it will help you. If you truly believe that PT is the career for you, you will find a way to make it happen. I had to take an extra 2 years in a rigorous Master's degree program, and retook half of my pre-req classes two or even three times to get to a point where I could be a competitive applicant and comfortably re-apply this cycle. Don't lose hope! There are so many different paths to take to get where you want to go. There is an insane number of non-traditional students in PT school (the average age of PT students is 27, after all!) that you are not alone.

Bottom line: Don't rush. You can try to apply this cycle, but if it doesn't happen, re-take all the classes where you got Cs, and try again. I think admissions committees admire persistence.

Good luck!
Hello, I'm also looking into applying to USC next cycle. If you don't mind, would you be able to tell me how much your GPA has gone up from taking off two years?

Hi original poster. I'm going to be honest with you. Your GPA is going to hold you back from getting into PT school. Programs are highly competitive these days and they often toss out applications that don't have a high GPA. Once in PT school, most programs require that you get a B in all of your classes or you fail out of the program (at least the ones I looked into and applied to and the one I attend does this) so if you have a bunch of B's and C's on your transcripts, the admissions people will likely think you won't be able to handle the much more fast paced and intense course load in PT school where you have to get A's and B's on everything. If you're dead set on PT school, you will want to at minimum retake all of your pre-req courses and get A's in every single one of them to bring your GPA up. Many programs only look at the prereq GPAs or give more weight to it, so if you can at least show them you are serious about the core classes, you'll have a better chance. USC isn't going to take someone with a 3.0 GPA. It's also the most expensive PT school in the country so I wouldn't even recommend going there unless you want to be drowning in student loan debt on the other end.
As an aside, looking at your other hobbies, have you considered going into prosthetist schooling? You mention being crafty and liking to make things. A Prosthetist makes prosthetic legs for amputees and braces and such things for people with mobility challenges and it can be a fun and rewarding way to combine your two interests if PT doesn't work out. They also get to work directly with patients for fitting, gait analysis, etc. and I've shadowed a few companies and it's really amazing to see how happy the recipients are that they get to walk again.
Anyway, to get into PT school: step one is get that GPA up especially with pre-req courses, step 2: have really REALLY great letters of recommendation and entrance essay (have people who are excellent writers help you edit and revise many times), step 3. do awesome on the GRE. If you don't have a high GPA, you'll have to be really excellent in the other areas to show them you can hack it in a doctoral program. Best of luck.