How can I improve my chances for a PsyD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gg3636

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I apologize if some of this info seems repetitive, as I've posted my stats before when I was initially applying, and I also apologize for the length. Desperate for some advice, though!
I'm a current undergrad senior who just applied to 8 PsyD programs (Loyola, UIndy, IUP, University of Denver, LaSalle, Widener, Wright State, Xavier). My advisor was extremely confident in my ability to get into a program if I applied now, however, I only received 2 interview invites. I fell in love with one of the programs, had a great interview, and was subsequently waitlisted (although I was told I was a high alternate for admission). The other program I interviewed at, I really just didn't click with. And if I were to receive an acceptance, the likelihood I would attend is slim. So I'm stuck waiting to hear from my waitlist, but preparing for the worst as I know waitlists are kind of a fever dream (most of the time).

To be honest, I'm really disappointed and surprised I did not get in this cycle. I knew my quant GRE score was problematic (as you'll see below), but I really hoped my other stats would balance it out.

I'm looking for advice on what to do now. I do not want to wait until April 15th to start making other plans, in case that waitlist call never comes. Listed below is the info from my CV. Other than trying to improve the heck out of my GREs, what would you suggest I focus on this next year to make myself competitive for PsyD programs? I was offered a job at my internship as a mental health tech, but would attempting to get a position as an RA or a psychometrist be better?

Academics:
General GPA: 3.77 (3.79 now)
Psychology GPA: 3.77
GRE (blah- I know these are bad): V:157(76th percentile) Q:147(27th percentile) AW:4.0(60th percentile)
In an academic honors society as well as Psi Chi, work at my school's writing center, top 12% of my class, and have been on Dean's List every semester except for 1.

Clinical experience
:
  • Shadowed at an acute adult intake floor for a few weeks. Observed group therapy, observed case hearings, and assisted in writing case notes.
  • Interned at a residential treatment facility where I observed group therapy again, attended treatment team meetings, helped with case notes, and sometimes aided in facilitating the group therapy (helped the patients 1:1, was sometimes able to ask questions etc.).
  • Direct care aide for children with autism (honestly basically glorified babysitting but still some experience).

Research experience:
  • Completed an independent study this semester writing a literature review about the efficacy of Early Intensive Behavioral Interventions for children with Autism.
  • Worked as a research assistant for a professor one semester where I scheduled participants, ran the lab, collected all of the data, and matched data to corresponding participant (but no real hands on SPSS work).
  • I go to a small college, so there isn't much opportunity for research. However, the classes are extremely research focused, and I do have knowledge of designing my own scale, running SPSS etc and could talk at length about two research studies I completed for class (even though I know this doesn't count for much).

LOR: Extremely strong. 2 from professors who know me extremely well and who I have done well in their classes, and one from my RTF supervisor.

SOP: Felt very confident, and mentioned a specific professor I would be interesting in working with at each school due to my clinical and research interests.

As I do have some clinical experience I was able to talk about in length for my SOP and in interviews, I'm leaning more towards gaining some research experience. However, I already have that job lined up in my hometown where I could live at home and save some money, whereas being an RA would probably be much more of an expense, and not a guarantee, as my hometown does not seem to have too many opportunities. However, I will do whatever it takes to make myself competitive. I truly believe it is mostly my GRE scores that held me back, as all my interviewers immediately asked me about my scores and while they seemed satisfied with my answer, no doubt they held me back a little. However, I think I should get even more experience while I hopefully beef up those scores because you just never know.

With this over-abundance of information :) do you think it would be best for me to take that mental health tech job, or would that not be beneficial enough for me and I should search for research positions?

Thank you so much for any help! I really, really appreciate it. It has been so stressful and discouraging to have put so much time into my apps not to see the results I wanted as I'm sure many of you can relate to, and I'm ready to start moving forward and stop focusing on the negatives.

Members don't see this ad.

I would get a full-time research position and crush the quant gre. If you do that I think you could consider phd programs too.

I applied to mostly PsyD programs and got interview offers from most of them and one PhD offer. I interviewed at 2 of the schools you mentioned. I was accepted at one, and waitlisted at another.
If you want to PM me I can give you my scores/brief overview of my CV and tell you which schools etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, how feasible is it for you to move outside of your hometown for a research position? I would definitely recommend working on a study where you are doing assessment, intervention, or both for at least one year before applying again. I was a full time paid RA for a few years after undergrad, and despite also having a low quant score, I was able to get into all 5 PsyD programs that I interviewed at, including Denver, La Salle, and Widener.

Hey, how feasible is it for you to move outside of your hometown for a research position? I would definitely recommend working on a study where you are doing assessment, intervention, or both for at least one year before applying again. I was a full time paid RA for a few years after undergrad, and despite also having a low quant score, I was able to get into all 5 PsyD programs that I interviewed at, including Denver, La Salle, and Widener.
Do you have any advice on finding and securing work as an RA? I've already applied to every RA job currently listed in my hometown, but haven't even gotten an interview. It's possible for me to move away if I find something, but would definitely be difficult.

Do you have any advice on finding and securing work as an RA? I've already applied to every RA job currently listed in my hometown, but haven't even gotten an interview. It's possible for me to move away if I find something, but would definitely be difficult.

Check out sites like Indeed etc, join a list serv that focuses on your clinical/research interests, maybe even try emailing some profs that are doing research that you're interested in and email them or check if their university has job postings. May I ask what your interests are?

I had success cold emailing people that I was interested in working with. If it's financially possible, you could also offer to volunteer part time (like 20/week) and get a paying night/weekend job. You'll have more say as to the type of lab that you're working in too.

I applied to mostly PsyD programs and got interview offers from most of them and one PhD offer. I interviewed at 2 of the schools you mentioned. I was accepted at one, and waitlisted at another.
If you want to PM me I can give you my scores/brief overview of my CV and tell you which schools etc.
Hello! Can I connect with you?. As I will be applying for Fall 2021.