How big a factor are High School Grades/GPA when applying to Med School?

Solomon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone (I'm new and still learning the forum so if I ask something wild or do something weird, please forgive me :D)

I'm a rising Senior and didn't do to well in High School. My GPA/Grades were fair, but nothing to wow anyone. I was wondering how big a factor are High school grades/GPA when applying to med school. Do they even look at them? And if so, how much do they care?

Members don't see this ad.

High school grades are not reported and are meaningless for med school admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's good to here. Thanks everyone :)

The only thing high school grades are good for is to get you into college, and to make you eligible for scholarships to help reduce the debt that you will be sinking yourself into. Grades also give an indication about your work habits and work ethics that you are developing. If you have taken difficult classes and have shown that you can balance the work load with the rest of your life, then you know a little about how to manage your time effectively.

What IS important once you get to college is your willingness to take that fresh start in college and change any bad habits that you may have developed in high school. Like "I can do that later, I want to play video games right now." Or "the teacher in high school let me turn papers in late or re-take a test, the professors in college will do the same (they probably will not!)"

Some people that do bad in high school are because they don't care, so they don't try. Some are because they are lazy. Some are because they are unable to understand (translate into don't try hard enough to understand).

Which are you? Apathetic, lazy, or unintelligent?

Apathetic: with a goal in mind, this type can force themselves into changing their study habits and do well enough. They can become enthusiastic and perform at their highest level.

Lazy: more likely than not this type will slack off again and be back on here saying "oh noz! I failed gen chem" how will this affect my getting into med school!!!!" Eventually this type will become a business major or pre-law, or something else that does not require the dedication that it takes to get into med school.

Unintelligent: well, there are degrees and occupations that will work for people like this... They find their happy spot, it just is not in medicine.

You can do it, if you want it enough, try hard enough, and are good enough.

dsoz

The only thing high school grades are good for is to get you into college, and to make you eligible for scholarships to help reduce the debt that you will be sinking yourself into. Grades also give an indication about your work habits and work ethics that you are developing. If you have taken difficult classes and have shown that you can balance the work load with the rest of your life, then you know a little about how to manage your time effectively.

What IS important once you get to college is your willingness to take that fresh start in college and change any bad habits that you may have developed in high school. Like "I can do that later, I want to play video games right now." Or "the teacher in high school let me turn papers in late or re-take a test, the professors in college will do the same (they probably will not!)"

Some people that do bad in high school are because they don't care, so they don't try. Some are because they are lazy. Some are because they are unable to understand (translate into don't try hard enough to understand).

Which are you? Apathetic, lazy, or unintelligent?

Apathetic: with a goal in mind, this type can force themselves into changing their study habits and do well enough. They can become enthusiastic and perform at their highest level.

Lazy: more likely than not this type will slack off again and be back on here saying "oh noz! I failed gen chem" how will this affect my getting into med school!!!!" Eventually this type will become a business major or pre-law, or something else that does not require the dedication that it takes to get into med school.

Unintelligent: well, there are degrees and occupations that will work for people like this... They find their happy spot, it just is not in medicine.

You can do it, if you want it enough, try hard enough, and are good enough.

dsoz

Thanks for the tips, dsoz

I don't think that I am Apathetic, Lazy, or Unintelligent, It's just i had a tougher time adjusting to high school than most. My first two years I was completely overwhelmed. I got it together around my Junior year, but by then my GPA had taken the hit. By the time I end HS, my GPA is projected 3.0. And that was after putting in sheer hard work and effort. But I know in my mind that if and when i do go to med school, I can do it.

Thanks for the tips, dsoz

I don't think that I am Apathetic, Lazy, or Unintelligent, It's just i had a tougher time adjusting to high school than most. My first two years I was completely overwhelmed. I got it together around my Junior year, but by then my GPA had taken the hit. By the time I end HS, my GPA is projected 3.0. And that was after putting in sheer hard work and effort. But I know in my mind that if and when i do go to med school, I can do it.

I only had one school even make a place in their secondary for high school GPA. I'm guessing they might be doing some sort of statistical analyses because I know it does not factor into acceptance, at all.

Just do your best from here on out. Learn to ask for help, right away, whenever you need it. Remember that there will be lots of boring, and seemingly pointless hoops to jump through, don't let those tasks hinder you from accomplishing your goal.

I took some college level classes in high school that are going to get calculated into my AMCAS GPA, but OP unless you received college credit, that GPA gets left totally behind.

I took some college level classes in high school that are going to get calculated into my AMCAS GPA, but OP unless you received college credit, that GPA gets left totally behind.

Yep, I almost forgot about college coursework in high school. That's all that matters.