How bad is it....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fkajoshaj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In terms of appyling to Optometry school, how bad does it look if you retake calculus 1 for the third time??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm kind of getting tired of these threads....

"I have a 2.0 GPA, can I please go to Optomitiriz SKoooll now?"
"Its my ninth time taking organic, if I pass this time, will I get accepted?"

(Nothing against you personally, I don't know your situation) But I feel like there are a million of these types of threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of getting tired of these threads....

"I have a 2.0 GPA, can I please go to Optomitiriz SKoooll now?"
"Its my ninth time taking organic, if I pass this time, will I get accepted?"

(Nothing against you personally, I don't know your situation) But I feel like there are a million of these types of threads.

Yep, seems that way lately...and I agree they are getting old

Retaking Calc I twice probably means you're going to fail optics... or any mathematical/numbers-based course.

well i dont bitch on these forums, I was just curious. I do not suck with math, I got an A in university physics (w/ calculus) and a 320 on the physics section on the OAT. I just had some really bad luck with professors when it comes to calculus. Both times that I took it, the professors were horrible and it was pretty much a self-studying class (gotta learn on my own b/c there is no point coming to class) and yeah calculus is my weak area, but i believe if there is a decent professor teaching me it, I will do great. I never failed it, just got a D+ my first time, and this time I think I might get a C-.

Having a professor that has a huge accent and just copies the textbook on the board all period and then giving a 50% final to me isnt justifying if you really know calculus.

Anyways, how bad does it look if you take it the third time and lets say get an A or B the third time?

Fine, I guess? lol you'll just have to tell the ad comm exactly what you told us.

probably not a good idea.. if you tell them what you told us, they'll look at you as a person who doesn't take responsibility. Besides, you may blame the professor the first time, but what about the second? You can't honestly tell them both times you had bad professors because wouldn't you learn from the first one and at least try to choose a better one? And if you do decide to take it again the third time, you should try not to get anything lower than a A otherwise they'll really give you a hard time at your interview. good luck!

In terms of appyling to Optometry school, how bad does it look if you retake calculus 1 for the third time??

I don't think it will matter. The only reason they have calculus as a pre-req is because every other health-care related profession does. And I don't know why that is.

Oh btw...if you got a C- the second time you took it, thats good enough because a c-/c+ = c when you calculate your gpa.

I think its a lesson to be learned...do you expect to be spoon-fed in optometry school, are you going to sit an whine when you aren't personally tutored by your professors? If you blame it on the teacher the first time, fine, but if you notice the same pattern the second time, that should have been a red flag to get your textbook out and learn it yourself. We've all had teachers with bad accents who just copy/paste on the board. With those, just teach yourself. I wouldn't go and tell the person who interviews you that because it is a poor, poor excuse.

Just take it again, as if you had any choice.

Btw, I totally agree. Were you really going to tell the committee all that nonsense? That'll be your doom! Don't go and tell them you that you had a bad teacher.. tell them the truth.. and I think you know what the truth is? :\

Well turns out I got a C! So I do not have to retake the course again. First time I took it was my first year in college. So 5 years later, having not seen any math and then getting another horrible teacher you guys have to admit was difficult on my behalf. I am not using it as an excuse, but thats what really happened. I am a responsible student, but like I said, math comes easier for some ppl then others. Anatomy and physiology came very easy to me and I got an A. But the majority of my class was flunking. I did have a professor that rushed material, but good thing I was good at it and it didnt effect me at all. But for those that it didnt come easy, having a bad professor just makes things more difficult.

I know my situation better than any of you. All I ask is opinions in general, and not to be attacked and judged. Thank you all who gave me straight forward responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
So 5 years later, having not seen any math and then getting another horrible teacher you guys have to admit was difficult on my behalf. I am not using it as an excuse, but thats what really happened.

Seriously, this is the second time in the last few days where someone "takes responsibility" while at the same time making excuses. If it's not an excuse, then why bring it up?

Its not an excuse mr. eyestrain, its a legitimate reason. You cant judge someone that last took a math class 5 years ago the same way you judge someone that recently took a math course. That's all im trying to say. No need to be a wiseass.

mr/ms eyestrain (didn't want to offend you) ***

calculus is a boring class. there's very few professors if any that can make calculus fun.

It's not the professor fault. Did you work over the sample problems and read ahead of the lectures. In addition, did you finish the hw from the previous lecture before the next lecture? If you didn't do that, it's gonna boring cause you won't understand what the prof is talking about. Sometime a prof might have an accent, but if you have a grasp of the concept ahead of time you can tell what he's talking about from the numbers on the board. Some profs even expect you to do derivatives and basic algebra in your head so they skipped all those steps.

I took cal in HS could've placed out of it by AP if i wanted. Evenso, sometimes i still had keeping up with the professor in class cause i didn't look over the materials before class. You can use the TAs or the solution manual to help you.

fkajoshaj, some of the people on here who are telling you to stop giving excuses are giving you a good advice. They have been there. They have failed a class or two too. They are still sucessful because they took it upon themselves to do something about it.

I took Calculus two years ago, and my professor didn't allow us to use a calculator on tests. You might have a better chance at learning it this way because having to write out all the steps makes you understand what the hell is going on.

About all the schools require at least a semester of calculus, but the OATs do not cover much on calculus. Since it is a requirement, it should be important to at least pass.

Sportvision:

20% QUIZ
30% MIDTERM
5% LAB
45% FINAL

Again, no hw provided at all this semester, so theres nothing to "practice". Lectures were boring and all we did was copy down 6 pages of notes per class having no understanding of what we're writing. I personally think, doing hw helps you improve your mathematical skills. When you're given 28 derivative rules, and no hw to practice using them, how are you supposed to excel on your own? It makes things more easy when you have hw and a decent professor explaining the material.

A lot of classes I've took this past semester didn't give homework at all. They even specified and stressed this at the beginning of the semester. It was up to us to pick up the book, chose some problems, and just give it a shot. You need to have initiative and motivation to do that.. and Idk.. maybe you just weren't motivated enough to do it. Btw, if you had such a hard time with a prof, did you consider getting a tutor? I'm sure there are calc tutors at your school (some even do it for free because they're a part of the tutoring center).

I really didn't expect this thread to last this long lol WAUWWWWWWWWWWW thats all I gotta say. I got a C so there is not point dragging this thread. I do not have to retake it. I got that A in A&P and A- in physics, so hopefully the schools will emphasize on the other courses and not pay attention to the C. Thank you all.

Eyestrain is right, it depends how you do the third time. It will certainly already looks bad to do poorly twice, but It will look worse to some adcoms than others. I think the important thing is context. If you improved each time, that would be better. You need to have a good explanation for those grades; schools will ask you about them.

I think it would be prudent to retake it for a better grade anyway. All optometry schools pay attention to pre-requisite GPAs and Calculus is a pre-requisite for almost all the schools. Some schools have strict pre-req GPA requirements and others take a look at the entire transcript, but they will all still pay attention to pre-req GPAs. Don't hope that they will emphasize your better grades, they will expect better grades and focus on your lower grades. No matter how close, calculus is just not the same class as physics or anatomy or whatever else, and that's simply the way your transcript is going to show your grades. I started out (like every other freshman) lacking discipline/motivation but went on to do fine as soon as I got in gear (corrected the problem). It was certainly good that I kept improving, but no matter how many upper division classes I finished for my major, the classes most scrutinized were the ones bombed. Don't give them a disclaimer for a grade, make the adcoms job easier by easing their qualms--give them the grade they want and show them that you can handle the material.

Every pre-req class is tough. A lot of teachers suck (I practically taught myself the first quarter of ochem) but on a curve, it doesn't matter, you still need to hit the standard deviation.
I took one quarter of calculus 3 times to pass and the 4th to get a B+. It wasn't so difficult that I couldn't understand it (5 on the AP), I just didn't put in the time. Calculus is not something you can pass without doing homework, thats the simple truth. You can do it, just put in the time and you'll find yourself on your way. :thumbup:

Eyestrain is right, it depends how you do the third time. It will certainly already looks bad to do poorly twice, but It will look worse to some adcoms than others. I think the important thing is context. If you improved each time, that would be better. You need to have a good explanation for those grades; schools will ask you about them.

I think it would be prudent to retake it for a better grade anyway. All optometry schools pay attention to pre-requisite GPAs and Calculus is a pre-requisite for almost all the schools. Some schools have strict pre-req GPA requirements and others take a look at the entire transcript, but they will all still pay attention to pre-req GPAs. Don't hope that they will emphasize your better grades, they will expect better grades and focus on your lower grades. No matter how close, calculus is just not the same class as physics or anatomy or whatever else, and that's simply the way your transcript is going to show your grades. I started out (like every other freshman) lacking discipline/motivation but went on to do fine as soon as I got in gear (corrected the problem). It was certainly good that I kept improving, but no matter how many upper division classes I finished for my major, the classes most scrutinized were the ones bombed. Don't give them a disclaimer for a grade, make the adcoms job easier by easing their qualms--give them the grade they want and show them that you can handle the material.

Every pre-req class is tough. A lot of teachers suck (I practically taught myself the first quarter of ochem) but on a curve, it doesn't matter, you still need to hit the standard deviation.
I took one quarter of calculus 3 times to pass and the 4th to get a B+. It wasn't so difficult that I couldn't understand it (5 on the AP), I just didn't put in the time. Calculus is not something you can pass without doing homework, thats the simple truth. You can do it, just put in the time and you'll find yourself on your way. :thumbup:

:eek: (< Holy crap!)

Is that what you told the adcoms, or did they even ask?

:eek: (< Holy crap!)

Is that what you told the adcoms, or did they even ask?

Yes, they ALL asked about it in one way or another which is why I recommend students retake their low pre-req classes. I pretty much told the admissions committee the honest truth, that I was lacking motivation, didn't know what I was doing, just wasting time, until I realized that no one will hold my hand after graduation. In a way, what I was saying was that I realized the problem (my own effort) and that I have corrected it (B+ [honestly, still didn't study enough], and the general trend in my GPA up to the Dean's List). I know they focused on all my bad grades (not just calc) but it really was a challenge to prove my competence. I even paid a bunch of money and retook gchem at my university way AFTER I finished the organic chemistry series with an A+ (my lowest oat score was 320 in gchem) just to mend my pre-req GPA. In this game of applications, hard work is nothing without results, so I'l repeat it for the 2458th time, don't tell the adcoms about how hard your quarter/life was, show them how hard you worked to prove your competence.

On top of that it helps to have a high OAT score, some good extracurriculars, experience with optometry, and/or leadership (that's my blueprint, at least), and a damn good interview where you have to assuage their reservations about your maturity and understanding of the field.

I don't want any student to think it is easy or to have false hopes about bad grades, but it IS marginally possible. The admissions committee won't accept you unless they are absolutely convinced that you will make it through the 4 years (weeding students out is simply a waste of money and time). With the general rise in quality of applicants for the schools I was interested in and inquired about, I'd say for all those young hopefuls, don't take any chances, don't waste any time, just evaluate what you want in life and use that willpower you've got stored away.

I'll leave you guys with this: you don't acting/thinking like an optometrist the day you start clinic, the day you graduate, or the day you open your first practice, you start the day you decide you want to become an optometrist.

If you got a C in it.....I'd stay with that. I wouldn't retake it.