How bad does a petty misdemeanor look in an application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pons612

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am not sure if this thread would be an appropriate location for my question, but I figured I would give it a shot. So a little background, I applied during the 2021-2022 cycle and only received an interview from my home state but was later rejected. As I looked back at my application I realized there were many areas of weakness in my application that I have been addressing these past few months. However, I never put much emphasis on my criminal record or thought much about it, but now that I look back I'm wondering if this is something that is having big negative impact on my application. So, in February of 2017 I didn't make the best decisions or chose to surround myself with positive individuals and I take full responsibility for that. So in 2017 I was pulled over and eventually charged with possession of drug paraphernalia as they found a pipe in my car. I was eventually charged with a petty misdemeanor and all I had to do was pay a fine. This is the only criminal record that I have, and I have been very careful to never put myself in that kind of position again. I am curious if anyone might have an input if that might be something that future schools will look into or put a lot of emphasis on, or if enough time has elapsed since the incident for it to not have a significant impact on my application?

Btw, this is something I disclosed during the 2021-2022 application, and I did not try to hide it.

Members don't see this ad.

It was 5 years ago and just a petty misdemeanor not involving violence or dishonesty. It's highly unlikely it had a significant impact, particularly because you DID receive an II, and indicated you had many weaknesses in your application. Impossible to know for sure, but lots of people on SDN have reported success with a lot worse, so I don't think it did, or will, hold you back. Good luck!!

Reactions: 3 users
It was 5 years ago and just a petty misdemeanor not involving violence or dishonesty. It's highly unlikely it had a significant impact, particularly because you DID receive an II, and indicated you had many weaknesses in your application. Impossible to know for sure, but lots of people on SDN have reported success with a lot worse, so I don't think it did, or will, hold you back. Good luck!!
@KnightDoc Thank you for the response. I have been working hard to address the other weaknesses in my application such a research experience, non-clinical volunteer hours, and more clinic experience hours. I'm glad to hear that the criminal record isn't something that might have a profound effect.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

I am not sure if this thread would be an appropriate location for my question, but I figured I would give it a shot. So a little background, I applied during the 2021-2022 cycle and only received an interview from my home state but was later rejected. As I looked back at my application I realized there were many areas of weakness in my application that I have been addressing these past few months. However, I never put much emphasis on my criminal record or thought much about it, but now that I look back I'm wondering if this is something that is having big negative impact on my application. So, in February of 2017 I didn't make the best decisions or chose to surround myself with positive individuals and I take full responsibility for that. So in 2017 I was pulled over and eventually charged with possession of drug paraphernalia as they found a pipe in my car. I was eventually charged with a petty misdemeanor and all I had to do was pay a fine. This is the only criminal record that I have, and I have been very careful to never put myself in that kind of position again. I am curious if anyone might have an input if that might be something that future schools will look into or put a lot of emphasis on, or if enough time has elapsed since the incident for it to not have a significant impact on my application?

Btw, this is something I disclosed during the 2021-2022 application, and I did not try to hide it.
The petty thing was not the reason you got rejected.
We Adcom members were young and stupid once too.

Reactions: 1 users