how bad does a D and F look on the transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sloc234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm wondering, last year I got a D in Organic Chemistry because I attend UCSD and the class was ridiculously hard. I am retaking it next quarter and hope to get at least a B. The B factors into my GPA, not the D, but the D still shows on the transcript.

Additionally, I took a summer class this past summer (Developmental Psych) at a community college. I was really unfocused because my friend who's in the Army came back for his leave for about 3 weeks. I hadn't seen him in more than a year, and I probably won't see him again for more than a year. So I ended up remembering the wrong date for the Final for the class and didn't show up for it, so I received an F.

So I know bad grades are really not what schools want to see, but I'm wondering exactly how bad it looks and if I still have a chance at getting into some schools.

Any info helps and is appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't sweat it. I got a D in OCHEM I and a C in OCHEM II. I'm not retaking any of those. They aren't required for PT school, so I don't see the big deal. Yes, it's on my transcript but I don't think it's going to affect me too much...so in my opinion, don't sweat it since it's not a pre-req. :thumbup:

I failed organic chemistry 1 and am currently in PT school. I only applied to 3 schools since I wanted to be close to home. I also was not a Kines major (although looking back on it, I would probably do a double major because it really helps to know kines). In other words...don't worry.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Think about it, do you think Ds and Fs are good on your report card?

What would your momma say?

Admissions committee members will not look kindly on them and if there is someone else vying for your spot that doesn't have Ds and Fs on their transcript, who do you think will get the spot?

I can't believe you posted the question.

I think the OP realized that poor grades do not reflect well on a transcript, and was actually asking how much weight they carry....

That question can only be answered in light of the entire application. A 3.8 student with a D and an F will fair light years better than a 3.2 student with a D and an F. A 4.0 post-bac student with a 3.0 undergrad GPA with Ds may fair better than a 3.4 undergrad with Ds...

My advice: if you find yourself in a situation with Ds and Fs, do not retake those classes, rather focus on upper level courses in the same discipline (orgo I and II if chem I and II were poor for example), or just focus on the strengths in your application and build those up to a noticeably "wow" level.

Now, if the school you are applying to specifically has a policy of looking only at the retaken classes and not considering the original, well then, it may be the easiest route to just retake the courses (assuming you put in the necessary time and effort to correct the mistakes that led you to Ds and Fs to begin with)...

-MotionD

I think the OP realized that poor grades do not reflect well on a transcript, and was actually asking how much weight they carry....

That question can only be answered in light of the entire application. A 3.8 student with a D and an F will fair light years better than a 3.2 student with a D and an F. A 4.0 post-bac student with a 3.0 undergrad GPA with Ds may fair better than a 3.4 undergrad with Ds...

My advice: if you find yourself in a situation with Ds and Fs, do not retake those classes, rather focus on upper level courses in the same discipline (orgo I and II if chem I and II were poor for example), or just focus on the strengths in your application and build those up to a noticeably "wow" level.

Now, if the school you are applying to specifically has a policy of looking only at the retaken classes and not considering the original, well then, it may be the easiest route to just retake the courses (assuming you put in the necessary time and effort to correct the mistakes that led you to Ds and Fs to begin with)...

-MotionD

I think the two are nearly mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
If the F has a good reason, you are fine. If it is because you effed off...then you won't have a leg to stand on.

I would argue this point...depending on when in your college tenure you "effed off," you may be okay...

a 2.5 student for two years that realizes the error of his ways and buckles down pulling a 4.0s the next two years will be better than fine.