How are the work schedules?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LX98Civic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am attending a technical college to become an LPN. I do plan to continue my education after getting established with a job to become a RN.

I am curious to how your hours work. One of the reasons I choose the medical field is because of the 3 - 12 hour shifts and get paid for 40 as well as job stability.

How many of you work the 3 - 12's and how exactly does that work? What kind of breaks / lunches do you get? I'm sure each facility is different but I would just like to get an idea. How about overtime. I hear in some places you get double pay for ot and some just time and a half. I also hear ot is pretty much unlimited in most places.

Thanks for any input on this!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the hospital you're working at. The hospital I used to work at the licenced staff only worked 12's and the CNA's worked regular 8 hrs. The way it worked at my hospital, you work 12 hr shift 3 days a week. Alot of the nurses I worked with loved it. Unfortunately, I worked in the rehab center where they didn't have the 12 hr shift. They started it later though. Also some hospitals have a weekend staffing option. At the hospital I worked, you worked a 12 hr shift sat and sun then work a 8 hr shift every other wednesday. Alot of the nurses loved it, that way they could be with their kids and spouses during the whole week and still get full time pay and benefits.

The nurses at the hospital where I used to work, had a 30 min lunch break. Even though we had certain rules when to take breaks, we took a break whenever we had some down time.