Houston Programs? LBJ v. Hermann?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amy2003uva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the differences between the University of Texas at Houston-LBJ Hospital program and the University of Texas at Houston Memorial Hermann Hospital program?

Opinions/experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Main difference is that LBJ is all county and hermann is practically all private. Baylor is kinda like a mixture of both. LBJ vrey strong in forceps delivery. Hermann, i believe, is supposed to be more competitive. LBJ caters to a100% indigent spanish population. They tell you in their interview that if you dont want to learn spanish dont apply. Also, if you want to do REI dont apply.

LBJ caters to a100% indigent spanish population. They tell you in their interview that if you dont want to learn spanish dont apply. Also, if you want to do REI dont apply.

Wow, good to know. I find it a bit of a turn-off that a program would discourage applicants wishing to pursue a particular fellowship... do you know why this is? Is this implying that because LBJ serves an indigent population, it has low need for REI services?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not for use outside of the interview thread

Someone mentioned that Baylor-Houston is going through a lot of changes. . . I know they are closing their REI fellowship, but is Baylor-Houston still a competitive place to train?

Thanks!

Hmm. All very interesting...

Sounds like I will have to interview around and form my own opinions of the different programs, but I'm glad that the UT-H programs seem well-liked. I've heard about the Baylor hoopla and am wondering what spurred all this change in the program? Why did they lose their REI fellowship... loss of faculty, or...?

as far as I know there was some disagreement between private faculty and the university so they split and lost Methodist Hospital (which merged with St Joseph's downtown to form the Methodist program-Houston so many of Baylor's old faculty are now their faculty). The word on the street is that they are building a new hospital, and Baylor clinic was just recently constructed. So they are rebuilding what was lost. A chairman from another department told me that the OB/GYN program will take another 3-5 years to be back where it was. But seems as though they are getting that done pretty fast.

If any of this is wrong please correct me, like I said these are things I've HEARD. I agree just check them all out for yourself.

as far as I know there was some disagreement between private faculty and the university so they split and lost Methodist Hospital (which merged with St Joseph's downtown to form the Methodist program-Houston so many of Baylor's old faculty are now their faculty). The word on the street is that they are building a new hospital, and Baylor clinic was just recently constructed. So they are rebuilding what was lost. A chairman from another department told me that the OB/GYN program will take another 3-5 years to be back where it was. But seems as though they are getting that done pretty fast.

If any of this is wrong please correct me, like I said these are things I've HEARD. I agree just check them all out for yourself.

But even if it takes 3-5yrs to get them back to where they were, they should still be a solid place for training right? That's all my main concern is b/c the Houston area is really appealing to me as of right now (developing great spanish skills by the end of residency, combined with great training and fellowship possibilities. . .) I guess I'll make a looooooong q list for interviews.

Yes, check out the info for yourself b/c a lot of this is wrong. Methodist and Baylor did split up, but a lot of the ob/gyn faculty did not go over there. In fact, the new program director over there (Dr. Eugene Toy -editor of CaseFiles, was former faculty at UT Houston). A

I never said all of Baylor's faculty was there before the split. The majority that were based at Methodist (ie the private physicians, like I said) stayed and are now part of Methodist program that was fused with St joseph's downtown. If you aren't from the area then you wouldn't realize that the former st joseph's program now methodist has been affiliated with UT and led by Dr Toy as long as I've been here. The methodist program continues to have third and fourth year UT students rotate through.

Question?

I got an interview offer but my funds are getting kind of low for flying and such (I already have 10 interviews).

Think I should go? Is this a REALLY good program. I'm not from the area so I have NO idea. I've been reading everything that you all have been saying, but flat out, go or not on the interview when money is starting to become an issue.

I don't know where else you're interviewing, but 9 or 10 programs was the magic number last year to be assured a match (the "charting outcomes" sent out by the NRMP).

Regarding the program: Mostly private patients, residents rotate at LBJ across town to get hard-core indigent experience. Residents really seem happy. 1 going into Urogyn this year, 1 into family planning or laparoscopic, can't remember. Was told that most residents enter private practice. Gorgeous facility. Have heard from several applicants that an in-house AI would (have) been beneficial- there are > 20 students from UT-Houston alone applying!!

Regarding Houston: Big, hot, southern. Decently cheap housing- possible to own a condo/townhouse if you're single, house in the suburbs if you're partnered. Wonderful culture, entertainment, & shopping. Definitely a driving city, traffic can be a b!tch.

I don't know where else you're interviewing, but 9 or 10 programs was the magic number last year to be assured a match (the "charting outcomes" sent out by the NRMP).

Regarding the program: Mostly private patients, residents rotate at LBJ across town to get hard-core indigent experience. Residents really seem happy. 1 going into Urogyn this year, 1 into family planning or laparoscopic, can't remember. Was told that most residents enter private practice. Gorgeous facility. Have heard from several applicants that an in-house AI would (have) been beneficial- there are > 20 students from UT-Houston alone applying!!

Regarding Houston: Big, hot, southern. Decently cheap housing- possible to own a condo/townhouse if you're single, house in the suburbs if you're partnered. Wonderful culture, entertainment, & shopping. Definitely a driving city, traffic can be a b!tch.

Thanks for the info. I am also interviewing at Baylor, UNC, Rush, Michigan, Case Western are some of the others. . . I'll just have to think about it some more.