Houston Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scummie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to start the job search and looking for some help! Want to move to Houston area (strong family ties) and would like to not work for EM Care or Team Health—basically looking for a private group. Currently living in the NE. Everything that I’m finding online seems to point to the big staffing companies. How can I find out what groups are hiring? What’s a good rate? Looked at the prior Texas and Houston threads but no names are mentioned. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Getting ready to start the job search and looking for some help! Want to move to Houston area (strong family ties) and would like to not work for EM Care or Team Health—basically looking for a private group. Currently living in the NE. Everything that I’m finding online seems to point to the big staffing companies. How can I find out what groups are hiring? What’s a good rate? Looked at the prior Texas and Houston threads but no names are mentioned. Thanks!

Market is flooded with docs because the freestanding bubble popped and all SDGs are basically dead. CMGs rule the city/area. Pay has gone down a ton.

Best of luck to you. I would look in a plan B area too.

Reactions: 1 user
Yah, TX use to be the promise land. Sad to see.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I still see postings for Houston area jobs with good pay. Some advertising $320/h for a night shift rate, albeit that’s an SDG in the suburbs in Cypress (day rate $275). There’s also the Schumacher site in downtown Houston at St Joseph; I think the rate there was around $260 if I’m not mistaken.

That being said, both of those sites continue to be advertised for over a year... so there must be something bad if no one is filling the opening after all this time. If anyone has some insider insights about those sites, do tell.

Not the warm and fuzzy feeling I was hoping to find. Have seen ads for Schumacher. Guess there’s always locums places in the valley so could do some traveling locals gigs? Pretty set on Houston area/suburbs though. Think even the academic sites are staffed by TH and emcare. That includes Memorial Hermann, Ben Taub.

Last edited:
TH owns all the community MH contracts, but not MH-TMC, that is UT. The market is drastically different than even 5y ago when I got here. It was literally like printing money. Every group was looking for docs. hourly pay kept rising it incentivize people to switch hospital systems. West Houston would frequently offer 5k to fill a last minute shift. that stuff doesn't happen anymore. the contraction of 8 first choice FSEDs and the two HCA hospitals that were destroyed in Harvey and will not reopen really flooded the market with docs and tightened up the whole market. Pay is starting to fall, but as mentioned above, it is still quite high. Even now, I still make more than double what I did in the midatlantic while also enjoying a LCOL state with no state income tax. That being said, there are other places with tort reform that will pay $250/h, too, which will hopefully loosen the market back up over the next few years.

Not the warm and fuzzy feeling I was hoping to find. Have seen ads for Schumacher. Guess there’s always locums places in the valley so could do some traveling locals gigs? Pretty set on Houston area/suburbs though. Think even the academic sites are staffed by TH and emcare. That includes Memorial Hermann, Ben Taub.

What's so bad about the TH sites? I looked at jobs in the Houston area a few years ago when things were hot and a buddy of mine moved down to work for FSED. I seem to remember there were several hospitals with a TH contract and pay was reasonably fair. Working for TH isn't the end of the world. Another thing I remember liking was that they paid their productivity bonus every month instead of quarterly or biannually. As for Schumacher, I don't have any insight into their contracts in TX but as far as working for the major CMGs, I probably enjoyed my time with Schumacher the most.

Just my own experience. 3-4 years ago the Texas market was red-hot. Locums everywhere. You could get a $275-325/hr job at the drop of a hat. Easy money. That's all changed.

I grew up and went to medical school in Texas. Family ties to Houston, rotated at Baylor/Ben Taub as an audition. Trained at a highly-respected (top 10) program in another part of the country.

It didn't matter.

By the time I applied (September/October), spots were mostly full. TH had already done their interviewing and most of their hiring by the time ACEP was finished in October. They were looking for outlying places like Huntsville (no thanks). I did get a late nibble at UT Houston (Memorial Hermann main) but I had already signed a contract.

San Antonio has two private groups, one is a semi-SDG that does not hold their actual staffing contracts (Envision does, which is weird as hell). The other is a private firm operated by one guy that employs a bunch of docs around the Hill Country, San Antonio area, on down to the border. One group ghosted me after what (I thought) was a good interview. The other told me they had a position they wanted to fly me down and interview me for, then 12 hours later they suddenly "couldn't swing it financially". Both groups left a bad taste in my mouth with these antics. Yet the group that changed their mind suddenly has their recruiter e-mailing me again. Go figure. USACS is also in San Antonio, if you're interested.

Austin is overrun by USACS, unfortunately. Both of the private groups were bought up in the past few years. Good luck trying to get a job at a Seton or Saint David's hospital. Baylor Scott and White is starting to make a footprint in the area. They hired 10 FTEs this past season for two new facilities in Southwest Austin and Buda.

Reactions: 1 users
Just my own experience. 3-4 years ago the Texas market was red-hot. Locums everywhere. You could get a $275-325/hr job at the drop of a hat. Easy money. That's all changed.

I grew up and went to medical school in Texas. Family ties to Houston, rotated at Baylor/Ben Taub as an audition. Trained at a highly-respected (top 10) program in another part of the country.

It didn't matter.

By the time I applied (September/October), spots were mostly full. TH had already done their interviewing and most of their hiring by the time ACEP was finished in October. They were looking for outlying places like Huntsville (no thanks). I did get a late nibble at UT Houston (Memorial Hermann main) but I had already signed a contract.

San Antonio has two private groups, one is a semi-SDG that does not hold their actual staffing contracts (Envision does, which is weird as hell). The other is a private firm operated by one guy that employs a bunch of docs around the Hill Country, San Antonio area, on down to the border. One group ghosted me after what (I thought) was a good interview. The other told me they had a position they wanted to fly me down and interview me for, then 12 hours later they suddenly "couldn't swing it financially". Both groups left a bad taste in my mouth with these antics. Yet the group that changed their mind suddenly has their recruiter e-mailing me again. Go figure. USACS is also in San Antonio, if you're interested.

Austin is overrun by USACS, unfortunately. Both of the private groups were bought up in the past few years. Good luck trying to get a job at a Seton or Saint David's hospital. Baylor Scott and White is starting to make a footprint in the area. They hired 10 FTEs this past season for two new facilities in Southwest Austin and Buda.

Out of curiosity, does USACS pay more in TX compared to their contracts in CO? Are they competitive with the market?

It didn't matter.

Oh geez, my sphincter tightened reading that. Like you, was born and raised there, looks like that doesn’t matter. Guess I won’t be waiting till July 1 anymore to send out CV, which seems ridiculous just typing out. Thanks for the info though.

Out of curiosity, does USACS pay more in TX compared to their contracts in CO? Are they competitive with the market?
USACS was brilliant going after Denver and then eating up EMP in Austin, incredibly desirable locations. They tried to offer 140/hr for Denver and I did a spit take on the guy. Sad to see so many accepting that rate. Austin was like 225/hr when I looked 2 yrs ago, pathetic for TX. These POS just prey on new grads

Reactions: 2 users
USACS was brilliant going after Denver and then eating up EMP in Austin, incredibly desirable locations. They tried to offer 140/hr for Denver and I did a spit take on the guy. Sad to see so many accepting that rate. Austin was like 225/hr when I looked 2 yrs ago, pathetic for TX. These POS just prey on new grads

Yeah, the guy admitted as much to me regarding the USACS Denver sites. I told him flat out "Wow...I can't believe you're finding ABEM physicians willing to work for such a low amount. You must have a lot of new grads willing to work for chump change." There was silence and then he goes "Yeah...umm, yeah...we do have a lot of new graduates."

$225-250/hr is common for big metro areas in TX these days. Pathetic is the new norm.

I had a similar reaction when I spoke to the USACS Denver recruiters. No thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh geez, my sphincter tightened reading that. Like you, was born and raised there, looks like that doesn’t matter. Guess I won’t be waiting till July 1 anymore to send out CV, which seems ridiculous just typing out. Thanks for the info though.

Send your stuff out now. TH (Houston) and USACS (San Antonio) operations were well into interviewing and sending out offers prior to ACEP. Not sure about Dallas, but it’s also looking like CMG city.

There is one opening for a nocturnist in Beaumont with high pay. The Cypress job I applied to a couple times and if I remember correctly that group was eaten by an CMG a year or so ago.

When I was looking a couple of years ago I was told by TH the Houston market was full. When I looked six months ago to moonlight I was told about Huntsville and that was it. Even the El Paso market has gotten tougher.

There is one opening for a nocturnist in Beaumont with high pay. The Cypress job I applied to a couple times and if I remember correctly that group was eaten by an CMG a year or so ago.

When I was looking a couple of years ago I was told by TH the Houston market was full. When I looked six months ago to moonlight I was told about Huntsville and that was it. Even the El Paso market has gotten tougher.
What'd you think of the Cypress job?

140?! Lol. I was paid that to moonlight at a sleepy urgent care in residency. These people truly do not know their self worth.

USACS quoted me $150/hr plus benefits for Charlotte (which they control) to see about 2pph. Where does all the money go?

Wasn’t even offered an interview my friend. That one was through EMrecruits

Good grief! I've thrown my hat in the ring, let's see how this plays out.

It really seems like the bubble has burst, which sucks. Boo.

Wasn’t even offered an interview my friend. That one was through EMrecruits

EMRecruits does some dodgy ****. Just saying. Their recruiters are not consistent at all. I’d want my money back if I was one of these groups.

EMRecruits does some dodgy ****. Just saying. Their recruiters are not consistent at all. I’d want my money back if I was one of these groups.
Haven't personally used EMRecruits. Did talk to one of their reps at last year's ACEP; they had a large booth in a central area, so they must have much $$$ to spend. Their recruiter claims most of the groups they're recruiting for do not offer sign-on bonuses or even relocation bonus; meh I figured the bonuses goes to them.

But I wonder what's stopping someone from talking directly with the EM group that EMRecruits is representing? They don't hide the group names at all, its actually openly advertised.

Any insight into the academic scene in Texas?

I know that the University of Houston and Sam Houston are both opening up medical schools or trying to within the next year. I've seen advertisements for UH for an EM residency program director for a few months now.

I agree. For the Houston sites the recruiter is worthless. For north Texas those guys are good. I did get a sign on bonus as well.

What happen to the privately owned contracts the guy had at Methodist(Baytown for example)? Did he sell?

I agree. For the Houston sites the recruiter is worthless. For north Texas those guys are good. I did get a sign on bonus as well.

What happen to the privately owned contracts the guy had at Methodist(Baytown for example)? Did he sell?
Out of curiosity, why didn't you talk directly with the EM group you were interested in? Why go through EMRecruits at all? They list by name all the groups they recruit for. Wouldn't you theoretically be able to get a larger bonus since the group doesn't have to pay EMRecruits the recruiting fee?

Out of curiosity, why didn't you talk directly with the EM group you were interested in? Why go through EMRecruits at all? They list by name all the groups they recruit for. Wouldn't you theoretically be able to get a larger bonus since the group doesn't have to pay EMRecruits the recruiting fee?

Honestly didn’t even think about. Probably some of that was due to cold calling the groups close where I trained and not so much as receiving a call to say no thx(I was always told my info would be given to the docs who do the hiring or be sent to his/her v-mail).
I even emailed a couple of docs at SDGs when I was able to get their email addresses and radio silence.

I know that the University of Houston and Sam Houston are both opening up medical schools or trying to within the next year. I've seen advertisements for UH for an EM residency program director for a few months now.

Interesting. What hospital are they going to be based out of it?

Any insight on typical academic pay and schedule in Houston? Also curious about Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio.

Does anybody have contact info for the Team Health recruiter for Houston (or Texas) area? Sent in a message last week, left a VM today and called, no response. It shouldn’t be this hard to talk to a human being!

Does anybody have contact info for the Team Health recruiter for Houston (or Texas) area? Sent in a message last week, left a VM today and called, no response. It shouldn’t be this hard to talk to a human being!
That's crazy. I told TH to "leave me alone, and never, ever contact me ever again, for anything, at all", and they still do, and rather frequently.

Reactions: 1 users
$225-250/hr is common for big metro areas in TX these days. Pathetic is the new norm.

I had a similar reaction when I spoke to the USACS Denver recruiters. No thanks.

Wait 250/hr is pathetic?

Took a telephone interview with USASSKISS sometime last year. They were offering 150/hr for their Tampa area shops, plus their magic beans of "ownership" in five years.

Get bent.

Took a telephone interview with USASSKISS sometime last year. They were offering 150/hr for their Tampa area shops, plus their magic beans of "ownership" in five years.

Get bent.

I think it would be helpful if we all knew what we were getting offered instead of keeping it so secret from one another. It's hard to negotiate for a higher rate when you don't know what the ranges of hourly rates are.

TH only lists shops in Houston/Katy area when you look up Texas.
Schumacher only lists the Valley and out west.

Last edited by a moderator:
schumacher just got a contract for a new hospital that had previously closed down. They lost the contract at my current gig, and have the same CEO for that new gig. Some of our docs are working prn shifts, and it's a slow motion train wreck in progress. But I guess they're staffed full.

I think it would be helpful if we all knew what we were getting offered instead of keeping it so secret from one another. It's hard to negotiate for a higher rate when you don't know what the ranges of hourly rates are.

Tampa area. I was so unimpressed that I don't even remember the neighborhood.

KTHXBYE.

Finally talked with a TH recruiter.

5-10 openings for next year.

Supposedly even split between their MH sites and FSED.

120 hours is FT. IC status. No benefits but they will help you getting stuff like health insurance.

At FSED, 12 hour shifts. Main side varies.

Scribes everywhere.

RVU based. For main EDs, base rate is $240/hour + RVU. Average is $275-300/hour. At FSED, lower base at around $220/hour. Traveler team makes $300/hour + RVU.

If anybody has anything else to add, please do.

I concur, that sounds about right for Houston. 120 hours isn’t bad either, I end up working more by choice. I have been lucky that I only work FSED shifts at my group once in a blue moon, which allows me to maximize the dollar per hour amount. But it’s not like that at most places.

Where I am now in the NE, get $170 an hour. Not bad right? Totally justifies the seven years of training after college and the stress, personal sacrifice, etc. Maybe I should have gone to aesthetician school. $130 an hour for a facial. No one dies, there’s nice music and candles. No yelling. Add gratuity and that’s pretty close to $170/hour.

Last edited:
Yeah, come on down to the bayou city. Enjoy the warm weather and cheap real estate while you’re at it. Can get primo Housing in the suburbs for less than $100/square foot.

Insane. You can earn $140 an hour as a nurse. You can earn $200 working for the government or doing telehealth. Why take the liability and headaches of private EM?

Insane. You can earn $140 an hour as a nurse. You can earn $200 working for the government or doing telehealth. Why take the liability and headaches of private EM?
No you can’t. Wife is a nurse. They make on average about 25-40$/hr.

Reactions: 4 users
I know nurses making $150 an hour. I know many nurses making $95 an hour in Sacramento. SF is even higher.

No you can’t. Wife is a nurse. They make on average about 25-40$/hr.
There's a 4 week course she can take online to get a bunch of letters added to her name and treat hypotensive heart failure pts needing intubation at my shop while taking on none of the liability and getting close to that rate. Send her over. Probably better than the current f**ktards ordering CTs for asthma attacks.

There's a 4 week course she can take online to get a bunch of letters added to her name and treat hypotensive heart failure pts needing intubation at my shop while taking on none of the liability and getting close to that rate. Send her over. Probably better than the current f**ktards ordering CTs for asthma attacks.
Na my wife enjoys her job but yes she worked at a 100,000 volume ED for years so I have no doubt she would be better than most.