Housing in the Durham, NC area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wahoo99

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Anyone in the Duke-ish area have suggestions for housing? I will be starting residency this June & am clueless about the area! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

PM "Apollyon" - he is also a resident there and might can help you. He may see your message here though, so I would wait at least a day before you PM him.

Congrats on matching with Duke. What specialty? Several of my classmates matched there (peds and medicine).

Durham is amenable to house staff buying housing. I live in an apartment for now, just because I'm a slug.

The GME office has a BIG binder of houses being sold by leaving housestaff and fellows; likewise, the IM department office has a bunch of listings. I don't know about other departments, but, considering there's almost (I've been told) 1000 residents and fellows here, it's a fertile market.

Even if you don't do that, the realtors in the area are, apparently, pretty good.

One note would be to start looking/visit housing now, so that you can close by mid-June; you may be very surprised (in a good way) at the selection available.

If you want to rent, rates are really reasonable, and there seem to be hundreds of vacancies.

Members don't see this ad :)
wahoo99 said:
Hey all! Anyone in the Duke-ish area have suggestions for housing? I will be starting residency this June & am clueless about the area! Thanks!
I can give you suggestions about where not to live-- You definitely don't want to rent a house near East campus. Some of the houses (even though they've been refurbished) and in totally ghetto neighborhoods with lots of frat guys that like to break stuff. There are apartments off of main street called West Village that are pricey but very nice. I myself couldn't afford any of the nicer places, so I lived in Duke Manor. Its a tad bit ghetto but mostly I think it had a bad rep because there were lots of Mexican immigrants and black people. I only paid $510 a month and I found the management and living environment to be nice. Plus, its a quick bike ride to science drive (where the med school is at). Then theres Deerfield where a lot of undergrads live, its a little more expensive and a little less ghetto than Duke Manor. The belmont is another popular place but there might be too many undergrads to get good studying/sleeping done. If I were a resident there, I would probably go with West Village-- very near to shopping. Unless you're really poor/want to save money, in which case I would go with Duke Manor. With both you'd be able to walk/bike to work (from west village, taking the bus from East campus to the medical school=10 min) and avoid the whole parking headache.

Good luck. PM me if you have any questions.

Duke Manor is alright.

Belmont is really nice. Im not sure what price range you are looking for, but I think the Belmont is probably the best property nearby Duke.

They opened up this new place across the street from Duke Manor, like townhomes or something like that. Im completely unfamiliar with it, but might be looking into.

Basically, housing in Durham is dirt cheap and some places (like the Belmont) are really nice for their price.

I think it's a LOT different being housestaff and being a student. The places people mention as being walking/biking distance are immaterial, in that I drive by undergrads (and presumably med students) every day while going to work. You get free parking in the PG2 lot (and I have NEVER not gotten a parking space), which is a 5 to 10 minute walk (all enclosed) to where you need to be; many people say that their drive to work is shorter than their walk to their job at Duke.

Woodcroft is nice, and you can look at Chapel Hill; don't limit yourself to walking distance to Duke. You'll be able to afford something better. And, as always, buying can be better, since you get equity, versus just paying rent "down the tubes".

I agree with Apollyn, most residents buy houses around here...since real estate is really cheap.

I know of some residents who stay in the Lenox houses and American Village area (Morreene Road) which is close by to Duke.
But the nicer places IMO are Woodcroft/RTP/Chapel Hill with newer houses and less student-filled communities, and are more for professionals. South Square area also has some places around University Dr...

The best thing would be to actually visit and drive around all these areas so you get a better feel for it...it's really easy to find a nice place to live here, and it's nothing compared to searching for housing in large cities..there are plenty of opportunities here!

good luck

Thanks so much for all of your help!
Any thoughts on ninth st? Apparently there is a new building opening in June called Station Nine?
Thanks again!

you can start your search by checking out some web sites that i found useful:

communityhousing.duke.edu
www.durhamrent.com
www.apartmentguide.com
www.apartmentratings.com

The last one can give you a good idea of places to stay away from. I know that Springfield and Beech Lake are two places that are plagued with security problems and staff that aren't good with responding to maintenance issues. I know several people at both of these places who are high tailing it out as soon as their leases are up.

Honestly, while the West Village apartments are goooorgeous, they have plenty of problems of their own: sketchy neighborhood with no secure parking areas, lack of sound proofing within and between apartments (people walking above you and in the hallways sound like a herd of elephants), and of course the infamous walls that do not go all the way to the ceiling in the apartments, so each room is like a cubicle with little privacy. Oh yeah, and coin-op laundry.

I think Station Nine should be pretty nice. I went to their pre-leasing office and wasn't terribly impressed with what they're offering for the prices they're charging, but it could be just what you're looking for. Neighborhood seems okay, then again, someone was just robbed at knife point last night nearby, so who knows?

I recommend my apartment complex, Archstone University Tower. It's convenient, it's quiet, it's gated, landscaping is nice, pool is nice, management is very responsive to every request. That said, I'll be moving out soon, since I've grown weary of beige carpeting and beige walls and living in the middle of strip-mall city, and I want to live in a real house.

Congrats wahoo, I too have matched at Duke in IM. What does everyone think about Chapel Hill? I've heard it's pricey: would it be unreasonable to rent there on a resident's salary? If so, what complexes do you guys recommend?

Also would it be too far a commute to DUMC from Chapel Hill? I've only been to the Triangle area once (during my interview) and I was amazed at how close the two cities are to each other.

Here's a link to the community housing site that banannie mentioned above:Duke Community Housing

It's got good descriptions of Durham neighbourhoods. With all due respect to MeganRose, her suggestion that houses off east campus are a bad idea is an overgeneralization. There are certainly some dodgy areas around east campus, but there's a really gorgeous neighborhood here as well (Trinity Park). Durham is a city of very defined neighbourhoods, each with its own feel. Your best bet is to spend a few days exploring to see what clicks for you -- everybody's taste is different.

As for Chapel Hill, I'm not fond of it at all, but that's my bias. More to the point, the traffic between Durham and Chapel Hill can get quite ugly. As a sleep-deprived intern I'd probably prefer a shorter, less trafficy commute.

You don't want to live in Chapel Hill and drive to Durham. Aside for the obvious problems of loyaly during Duke-UNC games, the drive is an easy 20-30 minutes when traffic gets bad. It's simple for a Friday night out drinking but a pain in the ass post-call.

I'd definitely look into buying a house in Durham. I've got a bunch of residents in my neighborhood (Forest Oaks) and both residents and those of us in my class who are leaving are looking to sell right now. Prices are in the 130-150k range. Great location, great houses, and good neihbors. That being said, there's a LOT of good places to look in Durham... just ask someone local before making a final purchase so that you don't end up in the bad part of town. :)

Congratulations on matching at Duke!

Good info guys; does anyone have any more info on the Station 9 complex opening in June? All I've heard is that they're supposed to be luxury apartments in the crammed-together New England style. Anyone know rates?

CutIt said:
Good info guys; does anyone have any more info on the Station 9 complex opening in June? All I've heard is that they're supposed to be luxury apartments in the crammed-together New England style. Anyone know rates?

go to their web site: www.stationnine.com

They have floorplans you can view. And you can call them to get rates.

A few things to keep in mind: so far, they are scheduled to only have some of the apartments complete in June. They will not be finished construction until November at the earliest. If you move in sooner, you will basically be living in a construction site for a few months. If you have a pet, you have to live on the bottom floor, where floors are polished concrete. If you live on an upper floor, floors are carpeted.

I am a med student at Chapel Hill, and I agree with the above post, dont live in CH..although I LOVE the area, it is expensive.

I would suggest living close to I-40, Like Summit Hill Apts off 54 or somewhere near South Point. A lot of residents live up 54 in Durham near Woodcroft. I suggest in between CH and Durham because you want to be close to the mall and easy access to Raleigh or CH if you want to party..b/c we all know that the Dookies really come to CH to hang out :p

Let me know if you want to know more about the area