Housing for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someonesomething

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the people who have to move or had moved for their residencies, did you/will you be living alone? I've always had a roommate and I'm a little nervous to live alone for residency, since it's going to be a stressful time and it seems like it will be lonely. Any advice? I'd probably have to find a random person if I get a roommate, and that's a whole can of worms on its own.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have co-residents? I currently room with my co-resident. Granted we knew each other since our second year in pharmacy school (and stayed connected) but I don't think it would hurt to e-mail your RPD or the current residents to find out who else matched with you (if any). If you don't have co-residents, maybe ask the current resident what suggestions they have locally for finding a roommate.

I've been living alone during my residency year.

I sort of like coming home to relax and to be by myself. I'm not sure how you will approach your residency but I really get most if not all of my work done at the hospital and just go back home to do some "light" reading. For me that works best if I am alone.

Then again I totally see the appeal of rooming (shared responsibilities, somebody to talk to etc) - let alone cheaper rent.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have always lived solo throughout pharmacy school and 99.9% sure I will doing the same transitioning into my residency year. During my interview the RPD did mention that many medical students live in this one complex and they carpool together a lot -- offered the candidates to look into that one spot. Also, I reached out to the current residents to see where they are currently living.

I have heard of someone renting a two bedroom and inviting the current students at their undergrad to move in for their final year. Another thought.

It depends on your personality type. If you do not think you could be happy without a roommate, you could seek one out. I have loved living by myself and will never have a roommate, especially in residency. Depending on where you end up, you will likely always be exhausted. I just cannot fake being nice or courteous when I have to do it all day and am working 12 days on with 12+hours a day. I would encourage living by yourself, unless you feel like you need that support of someone else. Presumably, you wouldn't be home much, so it would likely not matter in regards to having a roommate to hang out with. I could see the pros, of someone else sharing in your struggle, but if it is a coresident, you may end up wanting to destroy them by the end of it. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user