House of God

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med_stud_07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's read this book?

Have you residents noticed any similarities/differences?

If this were an English compostion class, the question might read, "Compare and contrast the actual resident experience with the book, House of God."

Members don't see this ad.

p.s. this was also in the Allopathic section, but I wanted to see what the residents think about it as well. :rolleyes:

Well, the book was written 30+ years ago, but frankly not a lot has changed. You'd be surprised how true the Laws are. I still think that the follow-up, Mount Misery is even funnier tho.... :p

But surprisingly soem of it is still useful. For those just starting residency- at an arrest the first thign to do really is to take your own pulse!!!

It's realistic in that there are a few people out there who really think like the great Roy G. Basch, and they ruin their lives so much that they have to take a year off and then spend the rest of the their lives psychoanalyzing themselves. The rest of us actually find some aspect of our jobs gratifying and get away from the hospital enough to maintain our sanity. Maybe if Roy had spent a little less time banging every female in the hospital and more time getting his work done and getting out of the hospital to see Berry he could have survived his internship a little better.

God save the "Fat Men."

Dang! that was one great book! I want to meet a girl like Berry. It was interesting to get those insights. Fat man rules. I wanna be like Chuck and NOT Potts.

:D

I've never read the book, but during my residency I had several junior residents/interns tell me I was the fat man. I am a bit obese, so I'm not sure how to take this.

Any insight?

sammccreedy said:
I've never read the book, but during my residency I had several junior residents/interns tell me I was the fat man. I am a bit obese, so I'm not sure how to take this.

Any insight?

The "Fat Man" was a good guy, take it as a compliment! :thumbup: