hourly rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

I am about 4 yrs out of residency and am now considering a position in northern Virginia with an hourly rate for anesthesiologists. I have a very young infant and she is the impetus behind going from a salaried partner track to a hourly and more flexible option. I work from 7a to 3 or 5 p each day- no night,call,weekends,holidays unless i want to pick up xtra.

The set up sounds very family friendly- but I am not sure what the fair hourly rate to ask for is. I have heard that others there range from 100/hr to higher and no one really discusses it/sensitive issue so no one really knows what the other makes as hourly.

Any advice on what to ask for?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would think you can just take what you earned on as a salaries doc and divide by the number of hours you worked in that year?

so if you worked about 60 hours a week and your salary was $350K and you had 4 weeks vacation a year that's 48 weeks of work a year. so 350,000/2880hr= $121/hr

maybe ask for alittle more like $150/hr and have them haggle with you? If you have a fellowship that they need maybe ask for more as well?

Sorry I can't give you any experienced advice on how much to ask for, maybe you can check Gaswork.com to see what the going per-diam rates are in your area?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are they giving you benefits or paying for malpractice. If they are I would say around $150 an hour sounds fair. All depends how desperate they or you are.

Yes, benefits are in addition to my hourly wage. So malpractice, life, disability are what I will take. Will prob take medical from my husband's deal. Unpaid vaca. The salaries here are all over the place- but if broken down by hour- anywhere from 120-200 per hour.

Yes, benefits are in addition to my hourly wage. So malpractice, life, disability are what I will take. Will prob take medical from my husband's deal. Unpaid vaca. The salaries here are all over the place- but if broken down by hour- anywhere from 120-200 per hour.

I wouldn't accept $100/hr. Most of our CRNAs make more than that not including benefits. Locums guys are getting paid $200-$250/hr without benefits. I looked at my salaried package and am at about $200/hr + benefits. I guess local market conditions will control what your final number is, but I would aim for at least $150/hr. I think $1200-$1500/day is fair.

PMMD

200 per hr is fair + benefits. This is about what I have seen. I'll cover some light home call as a side gig for about 100-125 per hr. 100-125 is also about what crnas get for working.

I talked to a crna today who told me he makes $70 per hour, but double that for anything over 40 hours. He works 60 hours/wk about. He doesn't know what the anesthesiologists are making hourly because they are salary, but he thinks they make $250-270k fresh from residency. I agree with the previous post to ask for more than you think you should, because nothing is worse than low balling what you ask for.

hey...IM interloper here.
I think you should ask for >$100/hour, because I make $100/hour moonlighting in a VA ER as an ER attending. If internal med can make $100/hour, then I think you can probably get more doing anesthesiology. Of course, it sounds like you are getting benefits, which is good. If you think the job will be really easy for you, then $100/hr may be good enough, but I think you should at least ask for a little more. It's been proven that women don't tend to ask for raises/what we are worth, so we often don't get it. If you think you are worth more than $100/hr, then ask for it.

hey...IM interloper here.
I think you should ask for >$100/hour, because I make $100/hour moonlighting in a VA ER as an ER attending. If internal med can make $100/hour, then I think you can probably get more doing anesthesiology. Of course, it sounds like you are getting benefits, which is good. If you think the job will be really easy for you, then $100/hr may be good enough, but I think you should at least ask for a little more. It's been proven that women don't tend to ask for raises/what we are worth, so we often don't get it. If you think you are worth more than $100/hr, then ask for it.

I was just offered a similar job like that as I am just looking for a different job. Offered $140/ hour. Curious if that is reasonable in the Northeast , or should I look for something better.

I am an EM doc and am shocked at how low you guys make an hour. I thought Anesthesiologists make alot more than we do as I can find a $190/hr job working at a freestanding ED seeing 8 pts in a 12 hr shift.

There are ED jobs in busy ERs paying $300/hr.

Why would a doc every settle making less than twice what a CRNA make? Our PAs make 25% of what we make.

I am an EM doc and am shocked at how low you guys make an hour. I thought Anesthesiologists make alot more than we do as I can find a $190/hr job working at a freestanding ED seeing 8 pts in a 12 hr shift.

There are ED jobs in busy ERs paying $300/hr.

Why would a doc every settle making less than twice what a CRNA make? Our PAs make 25% of what we make.

Because there is a prevailing thought amongst administrators pencil pushers, mud levels, and govt officials that what we do and the expertise, medical knowledge and clinical acumen that we have attained can be achieved by setting foot in an OR after reading Anesthesia for dummies! Only when **** hits the fan are we valued (for that one moment).

Some (*cough* AANA *cough*) have solid PROOF the in the OR, CRNA >>> MD. So they are valued and preferred by the aforementioned.

Personally, I believe the pendulum will swing in our direction, but some drastic (and quite possibly sad) will occur for people to realize that we are needed instead of "independent" mud levels for proper medical management during the peri-operative period.