Hot Lights Cold Steel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hndrx1a

electric medical haze
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished reading awesome book from Orthopod Michael Collins describing his "trials and tribulations" of Mayo Clinic residency...guys gotta check it out! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I read this book this past semester when my cousin recommended it to me. This guy is one of the most hilarious docs I have seen write a book.

I know, I was thinking the exact same thing when I read it. That guy is hilarious.

Members don't see this ad :)
That guy moonlighted like crazy just to pay to feed his kids. I mean, I know you're Catholic but come on, you have to be tempted to use a jimmy hat after the 8th kid.

Gibby Haynes said:
That guy moonlighted like crazy just to pay to feed his kids. I mean, I know you're Catholic but come on, you have to be tempted to use a jimmy hat after the 8th kid.

Or maybe even the 10th...

I picked up a copy of this book after reading about it on here b/c I'm leaning towards ortho.

This was definitely an interesting read and made me more excited about the field. Did anyone else get thrown for a curveball after reading he had changed the names and descriptions of everyone except the one attending who had died? I was like wait, I just got to know these characters and now you're telling me they aren't really them???

I have to agree with everyone else. This guy has his own dang soccer team, he owes the guys who covered for him all those weekends for the rest of his life.

Anyway, I thought it was a good read and although I'm not there yet, probably a good indication of what residency is like. I think it should be required reading for all patients so they can see what we go through to get our education.

Dr. Collins performed surgery on my ankle last summer. He is incredibly smart, and incredibly down to earth. His book has reminded me why I want to be a doctor!

Gibby Haynes said:

:laugh:

Awesome book! I got it three days ago and finished it last night. I am still and undergrad student, but this book is a reality check for people thinking of entering medicine as a career. I like reading about different specialties just to see what interests me, and I just recently starting reading about Ortho. So far I think it would be awesome, it kinda relates to my roots of racing where I visited many Ortho. docs. It's funny being on the other side of the fence wanting to be a doctor now, when me and my friends who raced would be hurt and the doctor would tell us to stay off our bike for 6 weeks then maybe we could ride. Then as soon as we could bare the pain we were back on our bikes riding within 3 or 4 weeks with a modified cast (that we cut with a knife) on our wrist that let us twist the throttle. How ignorant we were! Anyways off the original topic of post. Great book!

The cover-flap says that he now has 12 kids :eek:

Just finished the book. Very enjoyable read and some good insight into the field. Try Complications by Gawande for another look at surgery (general not ortho).

-J

I just picked this book up last night after reading this thread and I wasn't able to put it down until I finished it. Definately a must read! As someone starting med school in about 5 days, this book came as a great reminder of both the long and arduous road ahead as well as the purpose behind the struggle.

I finished this book a few weeks ago. Couldn't put it down, funny, easy to follow, draws you in. It is Collins magnum opus. Blue Collar Blue Scrubs talks about his days before medical school. Another good book

I have always wondered how 5 year old threads are found and resuscitated...

Just got this book on the cheap from amazon after reading the first few pages. I'll use it as inspiration to get through the rest of the hell that is 2nd year.

He wrote "Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs" as well..it's about his transition from a construction worker to a medical student.

I preferred "Hot Lights, Cold Steel" but he's inspiring in both :thumbup:

Pretty good book overall, although there were a few too many shout outs to the Mayo Clinic in my opinion. He took every opportunity to call it the "best medical center in the world."

it probably is, in more ways than one.