Hospitalist/General Medicine Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
[deleted original reply as there was too much info that might be able to identify me and my group.]

I'm in Texas and most of my friends stayed in Texas for hospital work. Seems like most of us received contracts in the 180-210 for academic work and 200-260 for private practice + bonuses)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
[deleted original reply as there was too much info that might be able to identify me and my group.]

I'm in Texas and most of my friends stayed in Texas for hospital work. Seems like most of us received contracts in the 180-210 for academic work and 200-260 for private practice + bonuses)

Wow!! Good for you guys. Texas compensates so generously :p I wish NYC was like this. I hear such bad news about the salary. But hey, I guess it's worth taking a pay cut if you wanna live in one of the centers of the world!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow!! Good for you guys. Texas compensates so generously :p I wish NYC was like this. I hear such bad news about the salary. But hey, I guess it's worth taking a pay cut if you wanna live in one of the centers of the world!

not really...

Not in the least.

Live there as a resident if you must. Then visit frequently.

Reactions: 2 users
LOL

NY blows.

More power to the folks who wanna live in that urban jungle.

Reactions: 3 users
Aww, come on guys, NYC is awesome. Or maybe I'm just biased because I grew up here. So is there any consensus on how low the pay is? I'm getting 120k - 160k? Fair?

Aww, come on guys, NYC is awesome. Or maybe I'm just biased because I grew up here. So is there any consensus on how low the pay is? I'm getting 120k - 160k? Fair?
That's about right. You can make that kind of money waiting tables at Daniel without the $300K in student loans.

For reference, in DC, starting academic hospitalist Salary is about 140-150k. Average community hospitalist is 190-215k including all bonuses.

Reactions: 1 user

It's not just the pay, it's what they want you to do and how much time you spend doing it that matters.

Nah man. Do you. If you like NY, move there. That's home. My perspective is all messed because I'm from a cowtown in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, live where you enjoy being. Personally I have 0 problems living somewhere surrounded by absolutely gorgeous nature like the Dakotas. High population density areas aren't my thing.

lol, $120K for a hospitalist? It's bad in NYC but what's with these crazy rumors. I know hospitalists all over the city and sure, the really cushy super academic positions in Manhattan pay around $150k but that's with literally months off to pursue academic research so they're basically paying you for 9-10 months of actual billable work. There are definitely jobs in the other boroughs that pay substantially more. There's even somewhat academic jobs in the boroughs (meaning there's residents and research but no large blocks of research time) that pay >230k total compensation though it's hard to make more than that unless you do night work. Pretty sure I'd have long moved if the pay was really that bad, lol. I work nights myself to get rid of my loans more quickly and have more days off but the regular day positions in the ny area aren't as horrible as everyone makes it sound. If you insist on being able to walk from your soho apartment to work then yeah, money's gonna be tight but that's your own damned fault. In the burbs the day folks get at least a 200k base and there's a reasonably decent bonus and decent retirement match and whatnot and since it's a quick reverse commute in the daytime a lot of people live in Manhattan or LIC or Brooklyn. You can make a lot more if you're willing to travel 30-60 minutes west, east or north of the city.

But honestly I know of positions that pay equally well in the outer boroughs of NYC. Just might not be that easy to get those jobs.

Last edited:
lol, $120K for a hospitalist? It's bad in NYC but what's with these crazy rumors. I know hospitalists all over the city and sure, the really cushy super academic positions in Manhattan pay around $150k but that's with literally months off to pursue academic research so they're basically paying you for 9-10 months of actual billable work. There are definitely jobs in the other boroughs that pay substantially more. There's even somewhat academic jobs in the boroughs (meaning there's residents and research but no large blocks of research time) that pay >230k total compensation though it's hard to make more than that unless you do night work. Pretty sure I'd have long moved if the pay was really that bad, lol. I work nights myself to get rid of my loans more quickly and have more days off but the regular day positions in the ny area aren't as horrible as everyone makes it sound. If you insist on being able to walk from your soho apartment to work then yeah, money's gonna be tight but that's your own damned fault. In the burbs the day folks get at least a 200k base and there's a reasonably decent bonus and decent retirement match and whatnot and since it's a quick reverse commute in the daytime a lot of people live in Manhattan or LIC or Brooklyn. You can make a lot more if you're willing to travel 30-60 minutes west, east or north of the city.

But honestly I know of positions that pay equally well in the outer boroughs of NYC. Just might not be that easy to get those jobs.

Thanks for the much needed insight. This makes a lot more sense since you put everything into perspective. Just a quick question though - do you see 7 off/7 on schedules to be a common thing in NYC (and immediately surrounding areas)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to figure out what to ask now.

Negotiating with a hospital in a relatively small town in Kentucky for after I complete residency.

They've asked me to start out on nights. They're offering a base of $235,000 calculated over 12 shifts--and then 120 an hour for extra shifts.

I'm assuming I'll eventually wind up working 14 shifts per month min. The 235 extrapolated to 14 shifts = ~$275,000.

They then offer a production bonus at $77 for wRVU's above 3,036. The problem is, the hospitalists that work there are saying 4 admissions is about the max they admit most nights. I'm not seeing how I'm supposed to hit the threshold.

A couple of my friends from residency are taking hospitalist gigs at a similar sized town with a slightly bigger hospital, making 245,000$-250,000$ on days, with reachable production goals that would put them close to 300,000$.

I'm somewhat befuddled that being on nights, I give up potentially 25,000$-65,000$. Granted, there are going to be some differences between hospitals.

Anyone have thoughts on a reasonable expectation or asking price? Or somewhere to find info?

I'm trying to figure out what to ask now.

Negotiating with a hospital in a relatively small town in Kentucky for after I complete residency.

They've asked me to start out on nights. They're offering a base of $235,000 calculated over 12 shifts--and then 120 an hour for extra shifts.

I'm assuming I'll eventually wind up working 14 shifts per month min. The 235 extrapolated to 14 shifts = ~$275,000.

They then offer a production bonus at $77 for wRVU's above 3,036. The problem is, the hospitalists that work there are saying 4 admissions is about the max they admit most nights. I'm not seeing how I'm supposed to hit the threshold.

A couple of my friends from residency are taking hospitalist gigs at a similar sized town with a slightly bigger hospital, making 245,000$-250,000$ on days, with reachable production goals that would put them close to 300,000$.

I'm somewhat befuddled that being on nights, I give up potentially 25,000$-65,000$. Granted, there are going to be some differences between hospitals.

Anyone have thoughts on a reasonable expectation or asking price? Or somewhere to find info?

Dude, they're trying to rob you. Nights only in a small town? You should be getting at least double that plus benefits.

120 an hour for extra shifts LOL. That's an insult.

Dude, they're trying to rob you. Nights only in a small town? You should be getting at least double that plus benefits.

120 an hour for extra shifts LOL. That's an insult.

The benefits are there.

What's a reasonable request as far as a base? It's my first contract so I hate to come in guns blazing saying give me something absurd.

If you are not making at least 200 an hour working nights you are really getting a bad deal. I would also be careful of any job that thinks its a good idea to put a new graduate with no attending experience on nights in a town they might not be familiar with and consultants they have never met. Talk about jumping in the deep end! I know some people may do it, but most of my friends who are doing nights did several weeks of days first to get to know the place then switched to nights.

Good luck but if this were me I would keep looking for another job.

If you are not making at least 200 an hour working nights you are really getting a bad deal. I would also be careful of any job that thinks its a good idea to put a new graduate with no attending experience on nights in a town they might not be familiar with and consultants they have never met. Talk about jumping in the deep end! I know some people may do it, but most of my friends who are doing nights did several weeks of days first to get to know the place then switched to nights.

Good luck but if this were me I would keep looking for another job.
while i don't agree that the min is 200/hr, i do agree, that is not a great idea to be the nocturnist right out of residency

generally there is a 20% differential between day and nights...rural Kentucky? i would think that they would pay better than what you could get in more desirable areas... 235k is easily attainable in more urban or suburban areas.

250 -260k sees to be a more reasonable baseline (even then that's only 150/hr night work should be closer to 175/hr).

The hospital I'm doing residency through is Private, and a tad bigger. They're offering similar hourly pay for nights, with the huge difference being no one commits to nights. People in the group are taking turns.

I am a bit hesitant about taking nights. But the census is only 30, ER doctors are contracted to run the codes, and they say a busy night admission wise is 4.

I find it kind of amazing that people are willing to take some of the jobs discussed here. I do pure locums, and I drive a hard bargain with the hospitals to get the absolute best rate. My lowest paying gig right now is $175/hr, highest is $195/hr. Suppose you want to live in NYC. Ok, fine, live there for three weeks out of the month and don't work. Then go do locums in bumble*uck, nowhere for one week per month, and pull in just south of 200K annually. Do it two weeks out of the month, and you're darn close to 400. I work 26-28 shifts per month. You do the math.

I totally get what is so great about living in NYC. But no clue what is so great about working there. When you're "on service" you don't really get the time to enjoy the city anyway, you're just working and sleeping. Work where the money is good, live where the living is good. You can do both. It is high time we stop letting big city hospitals pay us peanuts for our work. I find it hard to believe the post above about the ID doc making 90K....I'd offer to sell that guy a bridge somewhere, but he hasn't got any money for that kind of thing. :(

Reactions: 4 users
ABQ, NM

225K, about to go up to 242K in 2017

1860 hours required per year, approximately 15.5 10 hour shifts per month (8a-6p)

2 weekends off guaranteed

Schedule is flexible so you can request days off etc & is not a strict 7/7 or 5/5 unless you want to pair off with somebody

Unofficial cap of 19 (average census 16)

Max of 2 daily admits, no max on how many you get o/n except as dictated by unofficial cap

Everyone gets same # of pts over a 24 hour period, so if I admit 2 & someone else doesn't & there are 4 pts to distribute from o/n, I would get 1, and the other would get 3, regardless of our ?censuses (doesn't "punish" you if you are efficient)

Separate triage doctor & nurse 24/7 to take all ER/consult calls & accept or not accept a patient

Separate night time crosscover nurse & doc for all calls from pts on our teams

Admitting shifts are staggered, so 2 are from 430p-230a, 1 from 5p-3a & then 2 from 10p-8a. Max of 7 admissions per shift with option of doing extra admits for $200 each (which you can also get if you do >2 admits while rounding)

Unit based rounding with nurses, Case Managers, PT, Speech & pharmacy

No RVUs

Do get bonuses for hitting ClinIntell targets, patient satisfaction targets etc which is usually about 5-6K only

Most "extra" money is done via doing extra admissions or extra shifts

Last edited:
Does anyone have MGMA data?

I'm an 3rd year FM resident and now they're citing not compensating above the 90th percentile for hospitalist. Would like to know the threshold I'm dealing with if possible.

It's on the plastics subforum somewhere. FM hospitalist for 3-7 years of practice at 90th percentile according to the table is around 360k.

Then go do locums in bumble*uck, nowhere for one week per month, and pull in just south of 200K annually. Do it two weeks out of the month, and you're darn close to 400. I work 26-28 shifts per month. You do the math.

This sounds amazing. Is it really possible to do locums tenens a couple of weeks a month?

This sounds amazing. Is it really possible to do locums tenens a couple of weeks a month?
You can do locums as much or as little as you want. That's the point of it-- you decide for how long you want to do the gig and if you don't like it you get up and walk. But, that's the catch isn't it: why are such places always looking for help...

If anything, the last 2 weeks have taught me that the hospital is not your friend.

I left the interview feeling the warm and fuzzies. I thought that we were all good friends, and was excited to begin our partnership.
They presented the position as "we have a nocturnist spot" as opposed to an extra hospitalist slot.
I was agreeable to taking nights.
After talking with 4-5 comparable hospitals in the area, I had what I felt were very reasonable expectations for a base salary and a signing bonus.

After 2 weeks of what feels like begging, we got the base salary correct, but the face of the hospital told me that he couldn't do much more than that.
Same hourly rate as everywhere else for nights. No production given the low volume at nights. No quality bonus. A residency stipend that would equate to about $3,500.

The frustrating part is I really wanted to be at this particular institution given it's proximity to my family. But, I can make more on days at some of the other hospitals I talked to.

Did they know you had family in the area? ...Leverage gone.

Did they know you had family in the area? ...Leverage gone.

Yeah.

I was very up front that I was in love with the area. I figured I'd get the same/similar package that other hospitals were offering for nights. Not quite.

Busy community hospital in a medium-sized desirable city in the Mountain West. $260K base, plus 10% bonus if we meet core measures, patient satisfaction scores, etc. No RVUs. Plenty of extra shifts if we want to make more money too. No procedures, don't cover ICU. However, the patient load is above average and no patient caps. 160 minimum shifts per year plus 4 weeks paid vacation and 5 days for CME.

I find it kind of amazing that people are willing to take some of the jobs discussed here. I do pure locums, and I drive a hard bargain with the hospitals to get the absolute best rate. My lowest paying gig right now is $175/hr, highest is $195/hr. Suppose you want to live in NYC. Ok, fine, live there for three weeks out of the month and don't work. Then go do locums in bumble*uck, nowhere for one week per month, and pull in just south of 200K annually. Do it two weeks out of the month, and you're darn close to 400. I work 26-28 shifts per month. You do the math.

I totally get what is so great about living in NYC. But no clue what is so great about working there. When you're "on service" you don't really get the time to enjoy the city anyway, you're just working and sleeping. Work where the money is good, live where the living is good. You can do both. It is high time we stop letting big city hospitals pay us peanuts for our work. I find it hard to believe the post above about the ID doc making 90K....I'd offer to sell that guy a bridge somewhere, but he hasn't got any money for that kind of thing. :(

****ing this.

Finished IM residency at a NY academic program in '14. Went directly into locums.

1) 10 month recurring locum gig in ABQ, NM. Fully furnished apt covered by company.

2) 10 month gig in OR. Commuted by flight from home base in TX (covered by company).

Moved to NYC earlier this year after being rent free for 20 months (thanks to the above). Currently in BFE Maine with $170/hr.

Granted, I'm thru a company, and not sure the setup for above poster, and I'm in my 30's, single with no significant family obligations for now, but that's my blueprint. And I have no immediate plans to find a perm job for the previously stated reasons.

****ing this.

Finished IM residency at a NY academic program in '14. Went directly into locums.

1) 10 month recurring locum gig in ABQ, NM. Fully furnished apt covered by company.

2) 10 month gig in OR. Commuted by flight from home base in TX (covered by company).

Moved to NYC earlier this year after being rent free for 20 months (thanks to the above). Currently in BFE Maine with $170/hr.

Granted, I'm thru a company, and not sure the setup for above poster, and I'm in my 30's, single with no significant family obligations for now, but that's my blueprint. And I have no immediate plans to find a perm job for the previously stated reasons.
170/hr is a lot?

anyone know competitive rates for community programs in the mid-atlantic? I've heard anything from 225-250k base with 25-50k production, 183 shifts/year. Is that about average? I saw from Medscape surveys that it was ~235/yr total in the SE/Mid atlantic, but I saw from a different survey that the average hospitalist salary is ~270 nationwide now (assuming that factors in the Midwest/mountainwest/texas).

anyone know competitive rates for community programs in the mid-atlantic? I've heard anything from 225-250k base with 25-50k production, 183 shifts/year. Is that about average? I saw from Medscape surveys that it was ~235/yr total in the SE/Mid atlantic, but I saw from a different survey that the average hospitalist salary is ~270 nationwide now (assuming that factors in the Midwest/mountain west/texas).

Also, some places have flat out written down a number and said that is the base that they offer, this is the signing bonus that they offer, and one of the other hospitalists confirmed the salary offered by benefits before it was even offered by the benefits department. I assume that there is minimal room for negotiation room with all of this? I just want to go in and know that I am not being underpaid.

The sad thing is that the EM forum has a thread where they wont take <225/hr and locums earn 400-500/hr. We picked the wrong specialty--same length of training for 3x the pay.

The sad thing is that the EM forum has a thread where they wont take <225/hr and locums earn 400-500/hr. We picked the wrong specialty--same length of training for 3x the pay.

That's the extreme. Also, those kind of numbers are IC status, so you should automatically knock a significant portion off for payroll taxes, benefits, etc.

anyone know competitive rates for community programs in the mid-atlantic? I've heard anything from 225-250k base with 25-50k production, 183 shifts/year. Is that about average? I saw from Medscape surveys that it was ~235/yr total in the SE/Mid atlantic, but I saw from a different survey that the average hospitalist salary is ~270 nationwide now (assuming that factors in the Midwest/mountainwest/texas).

I'm a hospitalist in mid-Atlantic. DC/Baltimore area. Need more information on location you're looking for (living in or near a city such DC/Baltimore/philly will be less pay than much more rural areas, SW Virginia or Central Pa).

For community programs in Northern Virginia, DC, Suburban Maryland, Baltimore, community hospitalists make around 185-215K base plus around 5-25k bonus....only know one program where base starting salary for community is above 220k. Unless you're taking very rural places, think salaries you mentioned are going to be very hard to find. Hope that helps. I'm not as familiar with other parts of mid Atlantic but in general, mid Atlantic has desirable locations such as big cities so salaries are going to be on low end. Feel free to ask more questions.

Last edited:
Anyone know what hospitalist salaries are going for in NYC area (Manhattan as well as outer boroughs) and also possibly long island, nearby NJ and westchester?

ABQ, NM

225K, about to go up to 242K in 2017

1860 hours required per year, approximately 15.5 10 hour shifts per month (8a-6p)

2 weekends off guaranteed

Schedule is flexible so you can request days off etc & is not a strict 7/7 or 5/5 unless you want to pair off with somebody

Unofficial cap of 19 (average census 16)

Max of 2 daily admits, no max on how many you get o/n except as dictated by unofficial cap

Everyone gets same # of pts over a 24 hour period, so if I admit 2 & someone else doesn't & there are 4 pts to distribute from o/n, I would get 1, and the other would get 3, regardless of our ?censuses (doesn't "punish" you if you are efficient)

Separate triage doctor & nurse 24/7 to take all ER/consult calls & accept or not accept a patient

Separate night time crosscover nurse & doc for all calls from pts on our teams

Admitting shifts are staggered, so 2 are from 430p-230a, 1 from 5p-3a & then 2 from 10p-8a. Max of 7 admissions per shift with option of doing extra admits for $200 each (which you can also get if you do >2 admits while rounding)

Unit based rounding with nurses, Case Managers, PT, Speech & pharmacy

No RVUs

Do get bonuses for hitting ClinIntell targets, patient satisfaction targets etc which is usually about 5-6K only

Most "extra" money is done via doing extra admissions or extra shifts

Are you required to cover the ICU?

How many of you guys are required to cover the ICU?

No, closed ICU

No procedures

Sounds like you have great deal.

Is it common place to get paid per admission after a certain number of admissions per day? I don't know the full details but there was a hospitalist I once met that was trying to get me to come moonlight at another hospital and to join after residency. He said something like $150 an hour and if you do more than 4 admissions in a day you get $75 per admission after 4 admissions.

Sounds like you have great deal.

Is it common place to get paid per admission after a certain number of admissions per day? I don't know the full details but there was a hospitalist I once met that was trying to get me to come moonlight at another hospital and to join after residency. He said something like $150 an hour and if you do more than 4 admissions in a day you get $75 per admission after 4 admissions.

Sorry this is my first and only job and didnt really shop around since I had to stay in ABQ

How do bonuses work? How does your employer determine whether you get one and how much you get?
Thanks

How do bonuses work? How does your employer determine whether you get one and how much you get?
Thanks

You're going to notice a recurring theme here....

It depends.

Most are production based. Where that starts (i.e. What you're expected to do as a baseline) and how much they pay you for it will depend on who's paying you for what.

My bonus baseline is MGMA median for my specialty in my region. I get $45 per wRVU over that. I also get a bonus when I enroll a certain number of patients I clinical trials (that's a flat amount if I hit that target). I also get a "bonus" for my administrative work. I consider that "getting paid for work that I do", but my employer calls it a bonus.

For comparison in my region: academic hospitalists are paid 85/hr + RVU bonus (on the order of 7-10 for every rvu, no productivity target). Private hospitalist gets 100/hr with same bonus structure. No team caps, around 18-22 patients. ICU coverage required overnight (overnight shifts pay ~120/hr). We live in an oligopoly where a 3 hospital systems control the entire market and thus they have no incentive to pay higher. You have to go hours away to start to get anything better. This is the future as hospitals start to consolidate--these systems dont negotiate, it is a take it or leave it deal for every employee except neurosurgeons.

Not a top 10 US city either, just an environment that has allowed a select few health systems to expand to absorb the entire healthcare market and drive profits up and pay down for everyone. nurses are also paid terribly and they have enormous turnover every year with RNs.

For comparison in my region: academic hospitalists are paid 85/hr + RVU bonus (on the order of 7-10 for every rvu, no productivity target). Private hospitalist gets 100/hr with same bonus structure. No team caps, around 18-22 patients. ICU coverage required overnight (overnight shifts pay ~120/hr). We live in an oligopoly where a 3 hospital systems control the entire market and thus they have no incentive to pay higher. You have to go hours away to start to get anything better. This is the future as hospitals start to consolidate--these systems dont negotiate, it is a take it or leave it deal for every employee except neurosurgeons.

Not a top 10 US city either, just an environment that has allowed a select few health systems to expand to absorb the entire healthcare market and drive profits up and pay down for everyone. nurses are also paid terribly and they have enormous turnover every year with RNs.

I don't understand how this system can exist...unless these 3 hospital systems built a wall around the city to prevent docs from leaving the area to work elsewhere. That private hospitalist hourly rate is 2/3 what I've seen basically everywhere else. I guess if people are willing to take these jobs for those salaries they can keep dropping them to whatever level they want.

I don't understand how this system can exist...unless these 3 hospital systems built a wall around the city to prevent docs from leaving the area to work elsewhere. That private hospitalist hourly rate is 2/3 what I've seen basically everywhere else. I guess if people are willing to take these jobs for those salaries they can keep dropping them to whatever level they want.

You can't commute 2 hours to a job-so it's either move or stay and take it. A lot of people have family reasons to stay in the area and don't want to live in a rural setting to have a decent job. These systems either own the hospital or the company that has exclusive staffing privileges with the hospital in a 3 hour radius of our major population center. They all pay essentially the same with rock bottom salaries.

As smaller hospitals start folding this will become the future for many more places. Our health systems just are ahead of the curve and muscled out every other smaller hospital in half of the state.

I'm a hospitalist in mid-Atlantic. DC/Baltimore area. Need more information on location you're looking for (living in or near a city such DC/Baltimore/philly will be less pay than much more rural areas, SW Virginia or Central Pa).

For community programs in Northern Virginia, DC, Suburban Maryland, Baltimore, community hospitalists make around 185-215K base plus around 5-25k bonus....only know one program where base starting salary for community is above 220k. Unless you're taking very rural places, think salaries you mentioned are going to be very hard to find. Hope that helps. I'm not as familiar with other parts of mid Atlantic but in general, mid Atlantic has desirable locations such as big cities so salaries are going to be on low end. Feel free to ask more questions.

OK cool, that's about what I was seeing on interviews in the northern mid atlantic. In the Va-nc-sc coastal area I was getting offers of 220 base + 25k bonus and -240k base with about 10k bonus, so 245-250k average. One place did RVUs on top of bonus and base (I asked it 3 different ways and this was true) where I'd imagine that salary potential was 300k and it was on the coast. Average starting bonuses have been 10k to 30k, moving expenses 10k. Overall not bad. I know someone that went into locums right out of residency making 350k a year but they spend that entire work stretch in a hotel room when they're not at work.