Hospital badge without M.D. after your name?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ours say, "Housestaff"...if you think patients don't know what a resident is, they really have trouble with Housestaff. :)

When I hear the word "resident" I still think of it as a term used to describe those who live in nursing homes.

Now "housestaff" sounds more like a maid or janitor to the layperson. I guess that accurately describes how we are treated sometimes. At my hospital the chain of command goes like this:

CEO>chairman>attendings>mid-level providers>nurses>scrub techs/other allied healthcare professionals>environmental services>fellows>residents>interns, etc. etc. :)

Members don't see this ad.

At one point during my residency the ID said 'clinical assistant instructor' (that was the academic rank they had given us to recognize our role in medstudent teaching). To the patients of course it looked like we were teachers aides or something.

Or "Hap Ki". :p

Or if you had a Japanese name like "Aie Ki" DO

You could tell your doctor collegues that you integrate your OMM with all those wrist breaking and throwing manuvers in Aikido :)

When I hear the word "resident" I still think of it as a term used to describe those who live in nursing homes.

Now "housestaff" sounds more like a maid or janitor to the layperson. I guess that accurately describes how we are treated sometimes. At my hospital the chain of command goes like this:

CEO>chairman>attendings>mid-level providers>nurses>scrub techs/other allied healthcare professionals>environmental services>fellows>residents>interns, etc. etc. :)

:laugh: :laugh:

Soooo... sooo... sooo true...

All of your Identification Badges should include your primary credentials (M.D. or D.O.) and may also contain the term "resident."

Despite the fact that we are a teaching hospital with nearly 200 trainees and many more who rotate through from other programs, I find that many folks outside our department are unclear of the terminology. The person making the badge may not realize that although a resident is still in training you are in fact a physician.

Please ask your coordinator for assistance. It is important for your patients to be able to identify you as a physician and you have in fact earned those letters.

Best of Luck.

I've rotated through several hospitals in Philadelphia when the dreaded JHCOA inspectors came through. Every nurse manager and HR type walked around and made sure that everyone (staff, students) had a ID badge with their title, department AND employee number clearly stated. Even visitors have badges.

So by crazy JHCOA standards "John Doe" would not be enough. It would have to say "John Doe, MD (or DO or CRNA or PAC or RT or whatever), Resident, Internal Medicine, with the employee number 123456 somewhere."

Maybe it's because Philadelphia hospitals exist in a highly litigious environment. Or because ID badges prevent homeless people from moving into the hospital.

Who knows... but I agree that the ID badge (and your coat) should have your name and your exact job at the hospital.
It’s for security and patient privacy issues per JCHAO standards. Moreover, it’s your responsibility as member of the staff to challenge anyone wondering around the ward without proper identification. There are people out there looking to steal drugs, equipment or even babies. Finally, you want to be able to distinguish scrubs-wearing janitors from doctors.

My institution actually shells out the $$ to give us new embroidered white coats and new name badges once we move up from resident to fellow. We still don't get any respect but at least an effort is made.