Hospital attire for interns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Etomidate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have completed a TY or Prelim Medicine year, what was the standard dress code at your hospital?

i.e. scrubs and white coat vs. shirt and tie vs. collared shirt with no tie, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Dress code largely depends on what rotation you are in. For prelim medicine, you dress like any other medicine resident. This is usually shirt and tie or femal equivalent and scrubs (optional) when on call. For TY, if you are rotating through surgery or OB, you wear scrubs, unless you need more formal attire for grand rounds or clinic. White coat: most hospitals only require you to wear if you have scurbs and are outside the OR. Conform to the dress code of the categorical residents if you are unsure.

At my private community hospital intern year, the only rules were:

1)no jeans
2)no shorts
3)no open toed shoes

Nice....mostly scrubs, 1/2 the time wearing white coat. No ties required for any rotation. No sport coats, etc,etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
depends on the rotation, the Chief/Attending preference and the duties of the day. I've seen everything from scrubs (the medicine residents here wear a different color than the surgery residents) to shirt and tie.

While on interviews, is it poor form to ask about required attire?

Since I will hopefully be doing a specialty that is scrubs all the time, I really don't want to invest in new clothes for internship. My med school clothes have seen better days. Besides, scrubs are a lot more comfortable, and I'm more productive when comfortable.

Etomidate said:

Since I will hopefully be doing a specialty that is scrubs all the time, I really don't want to invest in new clothes for internship. My med school clothes have seen better days. Besides, scrubs are a lot more comfortable, and I'm more productive when comfortable.

That's a question I would only ask of the residents at the informal gathering that often accompanies the interviews.

Etomidate said:

Absolutely. I wouldn't ask the residents either, since you will come across as a clueless dork -- you have a limited amount of time with them, and you should ask about important things.

doc05 said:
Absolutely. I wouldn't ask the residents either, since you will come across as a clueless dork -- you have a limited amount of time with them, and you should ask about important things.

very true. Just keep your eyes open on interview day. If no one is wearing scrubs - take that as a BIG CLUE!

The thing is, you can very rarely go wrong by "overdressing" a bit and looking professional. If you do this and find that you are the outlier, well, you can modify your dress on later dates. The thing you don't want to do is show up underdressed on your first day, because that can create an impression of you that may not be accurate. No one will fault you for wearing nice attire.