Hospital Academic Neurosurgeons facts, data, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Petey Piston

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm interested in knowing the ins and outs of hospital-salaried/academic neurosurgeons,

Also are all hospital salaried neurosurgeons academic surgeons, or are those only affiliated with an university required to be an academic?

Are all surgeons at an academic center academic surgeons?

Academic neurosurgeon hospital-employed salaries?? not interested in private practice surgeons lifestyle or salary info

I'm also possibly curious, would a MD/PhD program be beneficial at all? I'm actually interested more on patient care than anything else, but if I do some research "on the side" would a MD/PhD program be of any use? Granted I'm only interested in Neurosurgery and/or interventional neuroradiology, I'm trying to decide if applying for an MD/PHD position is worth it

Post concrete links if that would save you time!

Thank you for all the needed help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I'm interested in knowing the ins and outs of hospital-salaried/academic neurosurgeons,

Also are all hospital salaried neurosurgeons academic surgeons, or are those only affiliated with an university required to be an academic?

no, though most are. The exceptions are if you work for an HMO like kaiser in which case you would be salaried but not in an academic position.

Are all surgeons at an academic center academic surgeons?
not entirely clear what you mean by 'academic surgeons'?

Academic neurosurgeon hospital-employed salaries?? not interested in private practice surgeons lifestyle or salary info

don't know but if you use the google you should be able to find some stuff

I'm also possibly curious, would a MD/PhD program be beneficial at all? I'm actually interested more on patient care than anything else, but if I do some research "on the side" would a MD/PhD program be of any use? Granted I'm only interested in Neurosurgery and/or interventional neuroradiology, I'm trying to decide if applying for an MD/PHD position is worth it
Only do an MD/PhD if you really want to get a PhD. If you aren't really excited about spending 3-5 years in the lab to do research than I don't think that an MD/PhD is a great idea. Sure it will help you match, but not worth it if you only want to do a little research on the side (this is what most academic neurosurgeons do and they are mostly not MD/PhDs

The basic gist with everything academics is that you will make less. I'm sure if you are in the big leagues, then things can change. It also depends how you wish to distribute your time, what research you participate in, how much you want to teach, etc. You can most likely find base salaries for academic docs of every specialty, but that isn't always the whole picture and may not be accurate.

Would a PhD be of any use? Depends on what you want to do....it isn't a BAD thing to have, but you have to weigh whether it is right for you and whether you want to focus on research aspects. If you'd rather be on the teaching side of things, then I don't think it matters much. That is a long road, so if you aren't 100% into the idea of dedicating a couple extra years of your life then I wouldn't do it personally.

Vague enough? The short answer to everything is, "it depends".

Members don't see this ad :)
GREAT! great link! It definitely demystified some problems

But to focus the other problems. I plan to dedicated 30-40% of my time at an university-affiliated hospital to do research (the other 60-70% focusing on patient care), would a MD/PhD be helpful since I'm doing "part-time research" or be less beneficial?