Hospice and palliative medicine 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HPM17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I am not sure what happened to the initial thread, but I will restart it.

If we can list places that have so far given out IVs, I think that would be helpful.

From what I remember on the previous thread:

UPenn
UPitt
Albert Einstein SOM/ Jamaica
OHSU
UW
Hofstra Northwell
MSKCC
MGH/DF

Best of luck to all

Members don't see this ad.

I've received Montefiore/Albert Einstein, Jamaica Hospital, New York Presbyterian-Queens, and Metropolitan. (All in NYC)

Also received an email from Mt Sinai stating that they've just started the review process.

University of CO has done invites (this is old, but adding for the new thread).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard from the other NYC programs other than the ones listed above?

I got an interview from BIDMC today.

I didn't apply to any NY programs, sorry.

Last edited:
anyone hear from chicago programs?

Sorry I didn't apply to any Chicago programs. I did get a notification from Emory that they were screening applicants.

I have interviews at University of Chicago and Rush/Stroger. Haven't heard anything from Northwestern yet.

University of Wisconsin and Medical College of Wisconsin have also released invites.

Hey guys, I'm a current fellow at a midwestern program. I'm happy to answer any questions about the process, programs etc. I thought it was particularly frustrating how little information was available to me during applications last year. I applied only to Midwest programs so I can't comment on the coasts but hopefully I can share some advice on the process. Also I should add that finally doing HPM is awesome.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm a current fellow at a midwestern program. I'm happy to answer any questions about the process, programs etc. I thought it was particularly frustrating how little information was available to me during applications last year. I applied only to Midwest programs so I can't comment on the coasts but hopefully I can share some advice on the process. Also I should add that finally doing HPM is awesome.
How are you enjoying your fellowship? It seems most programs are 1 year long, but some offer an extra year for research? Do most people do an extra year?

How are you enjoying your fellowship? It seems most programs are 1 year long, but some offer an extra year for research? Do most people do an extra year?
I love it. You're correct, most programs are one year. Some are two years. UPMC has a second year where you receive a masters in medical education. It's geared toward teaching. I was told that if I want to go to UPMC I should want to do the second year. They have a great program but I didn't want to do a second year when you can get academic jobs with just one.

Reactions: 1 users
@HPMfellow... Thanks for joining the thread!

Do you mind telling us how many programs you applied to and how many IVs you went on?

Members don't see this ad :)
@HPMfellow... Thanks for joining the thread!

Do you mind telling us how many programs you applied to and how many IVs you went on?

Sure! I applied to 8 programs in the midwest. Went to interviews at 7 of them but was invited to 8.

Hey everyone,

Has anyone heard from MD Anderson?

Also just updating the list:
UPenn
UPitt
OHSU
UW
Hofstra Northwell
MSKCC
MGH/DF
UAB
UNC
Duke
UVA
BIDMC
University of Chicago
Rush/Stroger
University of Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Emory
Cleveland Clinic
Mt. Sinai/Icahn NYC
Vanderbilt

Hey everyone,

Has anyone heard from MD Anderson?

Also just updating the list:
UPenn
UPitt
OHSU
UW
Hofstra Northwell
MSKCC
MGH/DF
UAB
UNC
Duke
UVA
BIDMC
University of Chicago
Rush/Stroger
University of Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Emory
Cleveland Clinic
Mt. Sinai/Icahn NYC
Vanderbilt

No I haven't heard from Hopkins. Thanks for updating the list.

First, thank you all for your input and advice, it has been extremely helpful during this process.

I do have one question though-Is it customary for a program to send out rejection letters/e-mail's if they do not select you for an interview?

I have been waiting patiently to hear back from a certain program (specifically one that has been mentioned on the list above) and have not yet. Does that mean that I am not one of the chosen for an interview?

Don't the programs usually notify the applicants in some way (i.e.- "let them down easily"). Just wondering.

First, thank you all for your input and advice, it has been extremely helpful during this process.

I do have one question though-Is it customary for a program to send out rejection letters/e-mail's if they do not select you for an interview?

I have been waiting patiently to hear back from a certain program (specifically one that has been mentioned on the list above) and have not yet. Does that mean that I am not one of the chosen for an interview?

Don't the programs usually notify the applicants in some way (i.e.- "let them down easily"). Just wondering.

I am also waiting for one of the programs mentioned above for either an invite or rejection. I have only received 2 rejections so far, but that was early this month. I don't know if programs are still reviewing and slowly inviting?

Anyone else have an opinion?

I can't speak for palliative care specifically- but I remember from my residency/fellowship matches that some programs just didn't say anything (this was a minority) OR sent rejections later, after I had finished interviewing.

I think my last interview invite (for a different subspecialty) was sent late August, so we might have another week or so of interview invites?? Again I have 0 experience with HPM fellowships, but I figured I'd add my 2 cents.

Heard from both Cleveland Clinic and Yale today as well.

I have also heard from UCLA and UCSD in the past week. Has anyone heard from UCSF or Stanford yet?

I did not apply to CA. Anyone hear from Drexel?

So I am thinking most if not all IV invites have been given out based on the silence haha. Best of luck to everyone!

Just to break the silence, I heard from Stanford today.

Anybody hear from the Arizona programs?

How about USF in Tampa?

How about USF in Tampa?
Sorry I didn't apply to those programs.

Anyone else getting interviews this late in September?

I heard from Emory and Indiana this week.

Anyone else hear from NYP Columbia, NYSOM, or Hopkins?

How about USF in Tampa?

Heard from UA Tucson and Phoenix and mayo Phoenix in August/sept. Congrats on Stanford!

It may be worth reaching out to programs to see if they have open spots from interviewees who cancel their interviews. Also, from what I've heard most places do not send out rejections so if you haven't heard back its more likely than not that you won't be receiving an invite.

Good luck everyone! Hope you all get your preferred programs.

So how did the match go? Anybody with some stats on overall match rate?

Congrats to all of you that matched, & welcome to HPM!

How does some one find list of unfilled palliative positions. Does one have to register to ERAS ?