horrible low self-esteem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shreypete

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a friend a has a horribly low self-esteem and something i think that's a horrible quality in a med student....he just can't look at himself in the mirror coz everytime he does, he ends up making negative comments about his feature, complexion etc. and this is all been very recent (as he wasn't like this before)...he says he feels horrible and depressed coz of the way he look...is this normal...can anyone give me any advice? greatly appreciate it.....is t perhaps due to excess of medical work-load and stress....

Members don't see this ad.

Typical meathead response, tell him to get in the gym and get some endorphins flowing. Countless studies, and more importantly people, say that lifting helps their self-esteem. btw if you want to call me a meathead that's fine because I take it as a compliment, especially when I look at my grades.

ps hell-of-a spot for this post.

I have had bad self esteem for a long time, and I think the best think you can do to be supportive is to tell your friend that what matters is his health. I have found that people who are healthy, without regard to what their features look like, how tall, short, skinny, fat, wrinkly or bald they are- when people have the look of health they are radiant and gorgeous. If you friend is not healthy, then the suggestion to work out and eat healthy is a good one. Any improvement one can make to their health will generally make them feel more attractive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell him to talk to someone. No doubt that his low self esteem issues are just the surface of the problem. He probably has some deeper root issues that he needs to work out in order to feel better. I suffer from anxiety and it is just within the past few years that I have begun to understand why. I still haven't talked to anyone about it but its an important part of getting over it.

thanks for all the help guys...i'm trying the best i can to help him (as he's a best friend)....he was actually telling me that he didn't like his nose for some reason (coz its too broad) and he feels that when ppl are speaking to him they just look at his nose and give a wierd look....i just didn't know how to repsond to that statement.....

Status
Not open for further replies.