Hopkins vs HMS (Pathways)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eagledoc2025

Reaction score
Johns Hopkins
Pros
  • Really great hospital
  • Top residency program for neurosurgery which I am interested in
  • Strong research reputation
  • Great place to learn more about health disparities in the community
  • Great scholarship that is full tuition + ~6K extra/year

Cons
  • Heard Baltimore not the best place to live, but I haven't been there myself
  • May open less doors outside of medicine compared to HMS

Harvard Medical School
Pros
  • Prestige both in and outside of medicine
  • Strong research reputation
  • Boston is a great place to live from what I hear
  • Many affiliated hospitals
  • Love the case-based learning model and required class attendance
  • Shorter preclinical and more post clinical flexibility

Cons
  • Significantly more total debt than Hopkins (~$150K more) due to only partial tuition scholarship
  • Heard some of the preclinical is not very thorough, esp the anatomy

Summary: HMS and Hopkins will give me similar opportunities during medical school, but I keep hearing HMS may "open more doors" for me and Boston >> Baltimore. Given that Hopkins is a top school as well, I am debating whether the better location and name justifies incurring 2x the amount of debt. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No difference at all in prestige within the medical community. Layman prestige doesn't matter (imo). This seems like an easy choice to me, follow the money. And it'll likely be a bigger financial difference than you think because Boston is a much more expensive city than Baltimore.

Reactions: 5 users
Just happened across this but I can 100% guarantee you everyone here will say that you should go with Hopkins. Still an amazing school, prestige difference between the two is pretty minuscule and not worth the debt you would get at HMS.

Reactions: 2 users
I would go for Hopkins. No difference between Hopkins and HMS in prestige (IMO) and the 150k you take out in loans will easily be 200k+ with interests. Unless HMS is your dream school and there are other personal factors, or you don't mind the debt that much, then choose HMS.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't pick Hopkins as it's no longer a top 5 school as of this year.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
It looks like you'd be happier at HMS, but JHU is offering a better financial aid package. Have you tried negotiating w/ HMS fin aid?

I would try negotiating with HMS at least to see if they can recalculate your package? Especially since Hopkins (to my knowledge) only gives need-based aid. So it's not like you'd be trying to get them to match a merit award.

But honestly, Hopkins is an incredible institution and I've heard provides the best clinical training out of any school. I hear you with the "bigger name outside of medicine" thing but if you're going into neurosurgery, do you think ventures outside of medicine are realistic? haha

Show HMS the Hopkins aid package and try to get them to match it. If they won't, take the six figure discount. You're probably gonna have the exact same set of residency interviews either way.

I don't see how HMS could possibly open more doors than Hopkins in medicine. What residency director would look at an app from Hopkins and not give it the same time of day as they would a HMS applicant?

Having said that, my opinion is: Clearly the smart thing to do is to go to Hopkins and save the money. However, 150k for a HMS degree is not going to break you in the future, by any means. If impressing people outside of medicine and living in Boston is that much more worth it to you, go to HMS. People pay way more than that to go to worse schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Pick the vibe you liked more as within medicine these are equally storied programs. The money difference seems like a lot, but over the course of your career and with the many loan forgiveness programs it really isn't. HMS's big advantage in matching is no ranking and the number of home programs we have (3+ hospitals vs. 1 at other schools). This means both more spots for people staying in Boston and likely easier matching for those leaving (not as many leaving town -> not competing with as many of your own classmates for other programs). The general "more doors" advantage is just Harvard does a lot and is well branded, which means in non-medical paths there are still lots of opportunities. The cons are you really won't learn anatomy (unless you do so extracurricularly) and health disparity work here can be more philosophizing and less action as HMS hospitals aren't in underserved areas.

Given the price difference and your surgical leanings, I would say go Hopkins. I know people who made that choice even at an equal price point. However, if you feel like you want to be in Boston and crimson is more color, then go to HMS and don't stress too much about the debt.

Congrats on the amazing options! Im preparing to apply next cycle and was wondering if the JHU scholarship was merit based? thx for any help!

Harvard all day
Harvard is known worldwide lol
Most people believe it's the best school on the planet

Hopkins is great, but it isn't Harvard

EDIT: Confused as to the downvotes. Would Harvard not match? I kind of assumed that! And even then, the overwhelming majority do matriculate soooo

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard all day
Harvard is known worldwide lol
Most people believe it's the best school on the planet

Hopkins is great, but it isn't Harvard
You know 1/3 harvard admits turns it down yeah? And when someone has Hopkins for >$100,000 less they have good reason to join that 1/3

Reactions: 7 users
You know 1/3 harvard admits turns it down yeah? And when someone has Hopkins for >$100,000 less they have good reason to join that 1/3

He got you with the troll and trigger.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the amazing options! Im preparing to apply next cycle and was wondering if the JHU scholarship was merit based? thx for any help!
JHU has no merit scholarships, all need based.

What kind of "opportunities outside of medicine" would you be considering ? If you want to be a neurosurgeon, it seems JH is the best option. A fantastic school and you will save a bunch of money. If you have specific "outside of medicine" things in mind then maybe HMS is worth your consideration, but what would those be ? I can't imagine going though neurosurgery residencies / fellowships to get into the business / entrepreneurial side of things.

Hopkins is the obvious choice here. The idea that Harvard will open more doors than Johns Hopkins is just not true.

Hopkins is the obvious choice here. The idea that Harvard will open more doors than Johns Hopkins is just not true.
Nah dude. Yale law? Wharton business? Stanford compsci? MIT engineering? Princeton college? Hopkins medicine?

Bunch of jokers compared to the peerless H-bomb. Your grandma will be so much more impressed and that's priceless

/s

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I’d check your math.
Assuming both Baltimore and Boston have a $36k additional costs over Tuition,

It seems Hopkin’s total debt would be $120K. (36-6stipend) X 4 years

Harvard is $144k+total tuition not covered. (36X4)
Harvard’s tuition is $66,284.
Difference is $25k+amount of tuition not given Total from four years. Based on your math of $150k more, it seems Harvard gave you about $36k per year scholarship?

if in fact accurate, pick Hopkins and save the $150k.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to Harvard. It's Harvard.

Sincerely, applicant waitlisted at Hopkins

• Haha
  • Dislike
Don’t understand why people think there’s any difference in terms of prestige between the two schools. In medicine, it’s HMS, Hopkins and UCSF, in no order. They are the super elites. When picking among them, prestige shouldn’t be the issue. It’s really about personal preference. Gucci vs Balenciaga vs Chanel.

Don’t understand why people think there’s any difference in terms of prestige between the two schools. In medicine, it’s HMS, Hopkins and UCSF, in no order. They are the super elites. When picking among them, prestige shouldn’t be the issue. It’s really about personal preference. Gucci vs Balenciaga vs Chanel.
I think order is UCSF, Hopkins, HMS but doesn't matter at that level.