Honors Programs

EnLaUM7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming participating in an Honors Program will look good on a med school application, but what if it means lowering your GPA a little? Is it still worth it? How much of an impact does it have on med school acceptances ( I ask this because i know some schools don't really have honors programs or honors colleges)? Will they look down on you if they know your school had such a program and yet you did not take part in it?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, it's probably not a big deal. Sure it will look "better", but if you have the normal volunteering, research, MCAT score etc... you'll be fine without it. It's really up to you.

If you do well in the honors program, it will probably really impress med schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking hard classes or being in your schools honor's program gives you no "extra" points in med admissions.

For example: People who take calculus based physics get no advantage over people who take non-calculus based physics.

If the honors program at your school means taking less GE classes then do it however, if it means more and extra work forget it.

I don't think it's that simple. On a transcript, participating in an Honors may not look like much. However, you may be given opportunities that you otherwise may not be exposed to, and this can be the real value of being in an honors program. This has been my experience for sure.

I'm not sure about the particular program you want to be involved in, but most programs I've heard about require some sort of thesis or research component. This can also be a good way to get involved in research in the event you otherwise won't make yourself do so.

Ultimately it may not make much of a difference. Personally, though, I'm glad I got involved with my honors program.

I'm assuming participating in an Honors Program will look good on a med school application, but what if it means lowering your GPA a little? Is it still worth it? How much of an impact does it have on med school acceptances ( I ask this because i know some schools don't really have honors programs or honors colleges)? Will they look down on you if they know your school had such a program and yet you did not take part in it?

If anything Honors classes at UM can be much easier ;)

I don't think it's that simple. On a transcript, participating in an Honors may not look like much. However, you may be given opportunities that you otherwise may not be exposed to, and this can be the real value of being in an honors program. This has been my experience for sure.

Participating in my UG's Honors program included research/thesis. This really opened up some great opportunities at my UG, at other schools, and professionally. I also formed really strong friendships with others in the honors programs, which are proving very useful a decade later for networking and making professional connections. I also had additional stipend funding for my jr/sr years of college due to my research...and I obtained more support in scholarships because of the research I was doing.

Participating in my UG's Honors program included research/thesis. This really opened up some great opportunities at my UG, at other schools, and professionally. I also formed really strong friendships with others in the honors programs, which are proving very useful a decade later for networking and making professional connections. I also had additional stipend funding for my jr/sr years of college due to my research...and I obtained more support in scholarships because of the research I was doing.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. It's these kinds of things that, while not directly related to an Honors program, are very valuable experiences that you otherwise may not have been involved in.

Unless you have a fantastic reason for NOT being in Honors, I would recommend doing it.

Hey thanks you guys for the replies, these are good points/suggestions. I know i would benefit in many ways by participating in the program. I'll see how first semester goes and then maybe apply to the program.

If anything Honors classes at UM can be much easier ;)
Michigan?