Honors English

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just took the placement test for English Honors 12 for next year and apparently only like five people make it. I seriously just found this out. WHAT THE HELL!!!!????

Does anyone elses school do this? Why would they do this?

My school is VERY overcrowded. Could that be why?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you hear this from a reputable authority or word of mouth?

I have a hunch that the number you give is vastly diminished. This is why: if a course is going to run and be feasible, there needs to be as many students as possible in the course.

If your school is overcrowded, I can see them being doubly anxious to get students into that course.

Relax.

Is this for college or high school?

If you are talking about college then just sign up for the regular english class. What I have looked up on the SDN forums you do not get extra points for taking a honors classes over a regular class.

No, the fact your school is overcrowded does not justify only five students make it into a honors english course. There are a number of reasons to explain why your school only admits five students. Lack of funds, a lot of smart students blah, blah blah

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how they can run a class with only five people. How many people are allowed to take the AP courses?

uh....would that mean only five people are in a honors english class? I highly doubt it. Our school is overcrowded (800 kids in my grade alone) and I had no problems getting into the Honors/AP program...then again, I was a transfer student?

But that seems impossible. Ask your teacher or advisor.

I think Jeff means only five people can place into the class by way of a placement examination, while everyone else has to follow the regular course requirements. Am I right?

I have no clue why they would do this, but my guess is the placement exams will be graded on a curve instead of having the usual pass/fail scenario, thus allowing the top five scores entrance. Lack of space is as good a reason as any, and this population explosion is starting to scare me. :p Perhaps there will always be a shortage of doctors now. :laugh:

only five positions for HONORS? That's nuts, it's usually like that for maybe AP classes, and even then the cut off is usually like 20 kids. Offering 5 honors English positions is ridiculous, your school needs some serious English funds.

I would check your source on that. In my experiences, honors students always seem to think they failed miserably whenever they take tests, which could cause them to assume only a small number of people passed. Additionally, some jerk could be spreading a rumor to make conscientious people like you have a heart attack...High school rumors are not reliable sources: ask the teacher of the course.

I would check your source on that. In my experiences, honors students always seem to think they failed miserably whenever they take tests, which could cause them to assume only a small number of people passed. Additionally, some jerk could be spreading a rumor to make conscientious people like you have a heart attack...High school rumors are not reliable sources: ask the teacher of the course.

I'll email the English supervisor. The kid who told me is kind of unreliable sometimes. I am just going by word of mouth.

I'll email the English supervisor. The kid who told me is kind of unreliable sometimes. I am just going by word of mouth.

I bet you 10 easter eggs that kid was lying.

I bet you 10 easter eggs that kid was lying.

Probably.

I have decided to forget about taking 5 AP's and take four instead and take Honors English instead of taking AP.

I got an two 94's first sem. A B on the midterm and my teacher is giving me another B this quarter. He says that as long as I hold an A this quarter and get an A on the final, I'll still be in good shape. I'm just waiting to see if I'm in. He is going to tell me on monday so we shall see.

The reason being is because you need to finish with an A-/B+ avg (very doable with some extra credit push), but for AP you need a 96 (near impossible). So I figure I'll just take Honors English. It is good enough and will still prep me for a college level English class.

A few people in my place are also figuring the same thing. It is so hard to go from a regular class to AP in my school sometimes, and it's stupid, but, whatever. I'm more than happy with what I have accomplished this year. I just need to pull straight A's from here on out. I can do it.

That sucks, AP is way better than honors english. Sometimes i dont get the point of honors classes that are just faster paced than normal and probably more work. Without an exam (my school offers none for honors) like an AP, im not sure how a student can know how well they are doing in reality.

That sucks, AP is way better than honors english. Sometimes i dont get the point of honors classes that are just faster paced than normal and probably more work. Without an exam (my school offers none for honors) like an AP, im not sure how a student can know how well they are doing in reality.

I don't know, In my school, honors English is much harder and rigourous than an average course.

Like I said, I'm already taking four. That is enough. I'd rather try and make A's this quarter than kill myself for straight 100's which I would need for AP.

This does not make sense to me. I don't think that you can place out of a course in high school. This would imply that these students were skipping a course (Grade 11 English). :confused:

Perhaps my high school was different?

Jeff, could you provide some more information about this placement exam?

Yes, Algo is correct, but yeah, again, I can't wrap my head around how they would only be able to let 3-5 people in.

That is the point of honors courses. It's meant for more intelligent and academically motivated students to challenge themselves in courses that would otherwise be too easy.

And it reflects on your college application. That's what they say anyway heh.

Yeah i know what the point of an honors class is. Im just saying that in some schools that honors are just like regular, and in other schools honors are just as hard as AP...but there is no test (like an AP) that Lets a student know what type of level they are on.

Dont get me wrong, i took both honors and AP in my highschool, and AP was much harder...but i have friends who also took honors and AP, and for them it was very similar.

But as long as you are getting 100s in a class. thats good enough.

if your school is overcrowded, wouldn't they be trying to increase the class sizes?

My Latin class last year had six people in it. But my high school has only two-hundred something students. And, we weren't "selected," that was just all the people who wanted to take the class.

My former high school forced all 11th graders to take AP Lang and 12th graders to take AP Lit, unless you were in IB.

I'd figure that students would have a choice to take Honors 12th grade English, but it does depend on each individual school.

That's odd... it wasn't a private school was it?