Honors Classes: Are They Worthwhile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysicsDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The honors (science) classes offered at state universities are usually significantly more difficult (curve-wise) and cover far more information than 'standard' courses do. However, is there any true benefit accorded to a person in the admissions process for taking honors courses? Sure, you'll end up learning more, but if you risk getting a lower grade and medschool admissions committees don't 'weight' your GPA as a result (they do weight GPA's of applicants from already grade-inflated private schools), why bother?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by frick
The honors (science) classes offered at state universities are usually significantly more difficult (curve-wise) and cover far more information than 'standard' courses do. However, is there any true benefit accorded to a person in the admissions process for taking honors courses? Sure, you'll end up learning more, but if you risk getting a lower grade and medschool admissions committees don't 'weight' your GPA as a result (they do weight GPA's of applicants from already grade-inflated private schools), why bother?

Honors classes are usually more interesting and smaller based on what I hear. So if you need a tangible incentive to take honors classes, its that you are more likely to get a recommendation from an honors prof due to class size.

Intangibly, it will inevitably make you smarter and a better student if you take enough tough courses over time, both ambiguous qualities, but nonetheless helpful in the long-run.

Originally posted by frick
The honors (science) classes offered at state universities are usually significantly more difficult (curve-wise) and cover far more information than 'standard' courses do.

Actually I found my honors classes more laid back, because the teachers know that the students are conscientious, so there's often less busy work to make sure everyone is keeping up.

My honors professors have been more approachable, both in class discussion and in office hours. Therefore, you may be able to get to know your teacher, and get a good recommendation, as well a better educational experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, here's my honest interpretation of it.. I took nearly 80% of my classes in college for honors. For most of these classes, there was no honors option offered normally, so I actually went and asked each individual professor "Is there any way I can do extra work to earn honors credit in this class?" I ended up putting at least 30 hours into each honors project writing an extra 10-15 page paper or whatever other ridiculously difficult project the professor came up with.

If I could do it again, I would definitely opt not to. None of my interviewers noticed it, none of the admissions people I spoke to over the phone said it would make any difference, and realistically, none of them know how much extra effort went into each one of those honors projects. Seriously, if you don't really have a strong interest in the class and are only doing honors to impress adcoms, do something else with these 30 hours like volunteering or researching. Patient contact and research are so much more important to them than a little "H" on your AMCAS application.

-Entol

How about being involved in an Honors Program at your school? At my school this consists of one honors level course, doing at least three tutorials (basically reader courses), two honors seminars, and an honors project senior year. Does anyone else have any experience being involved with this type of program? Do you feel it was worth it/helped you get into medical school?

I took an honors course in differential eqn and linear algebra in my freshman year. I worked my ass off in that class trying to get an A; there were only 6 students, all pretty smart so the curve was tight; After a load of work i ended up w/ a B+. I was so disappointed; it was the biggest mistake i made. Med schools don't really care much about honors; getting an A in a regular course is much much better than a low grade in honors; take honors only if you are truly interested in the subject, and know for sure that you can ace that course w/ your professor.

That's pretty much what I've figured... I'll take honors classes in areas where I'm motivated enough to do so, but otherwise my energy is probably better spent on research/clinical volunteering endeavors.

I think that if you are doing it for your own edification, then honors classes are valuable. But my experience is (and I go to a private school, so this might not be symmetric with the OP's) that when you take harder classes or major in a harder major, med schools really don't care. You need to "demonstrate excellence" in whatever field you choose, and the way you do that, I've found, is through an easy major and easy classes (unless you can get comparable grades in the hard major and hard classes).

But this is purely if you want to make an app. look better. You really won't get anything intellectual out of college if you do this.

-Ice

hmmm...... this is very interesting. i'm in the honors college in my school, and i need to take 18 credits of honors work to graduate with honors distinction. i could take 30, but the 12 credits i need for the 30 credit program i can't take cause they're at the same time as chem, so i am in the 18 credit program. but anyway, we get a sticker or something on the diploma that says "honor's distinction" or "honor's graduate." does the fact that having this make any sort of difference? i've heard people saying that taking the classes isn't worth it, but is it the same thing when you have your (futere) diploma saying something?

I didn't take a single honors class during my undergraduate career. In fact, one could argue I took the "easy way out". Wanna know the result? Got into 5 of the 6 medical schools I applied to. Including some so-called "top 10 schools".

Moral of the story.... Your GPA matters more than the classes you take.

OSU osteopathic i think has some program for ppl that complete honors college, they are basically in. I dont know of any other schools that do that though.

Hello,

I took five honors college classes throughout my freshman year and finished it all off with a 3.5 GPA. Sophomore year, I took only two honors classes total and ended up with a 4.0 and I've taken no honors classes since then. Having less honors classes definitely helped me raise my GPA.

In the end, med schools don't really know the difference between Bob's physics class from College A and Bill's physics class from college B. They do, however, know the difference between an A and a B grade. Keep that in mind whenever you consider taking honors classes.

The Prize Fighter

Hey SilleAngyl,
I am in the honors college at my school, which sounds similar to your program. Overall, it has been a great experience for me, but I think it really depends on the individual program at your school how much you will get out of it. I go to a large state U with a stupid program most undergrads have to take to fulfill their general reqs. In the honors college, you take their courses which are much more interesting and challenging to meet those reqs instead, you have a small group of profs who are monitoring your progress and there to help you (and write excellent LOR's), and there are many additional opportunities available to honors students. I received a full-tuition scholarship through the program, and was sent on a fully paid summer internship at the NIH. Look into what kind of opportunities your honors program offers, who it is aimed at, and try to ask around to get a feel for how other students who are involved feel about it. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, Mistress! Is there anyone out there that has had the experience of an interviewer actually bringing up the topic of them taking honors level classes? It seems like it shoud be impressive being that these classes are harder. I just dont understand why, from what you guys are saying, adcoms seem not to care so much. Would'nt these classes force you to work harder, thereby making you more prepared for the harder med school classes? And wouldn't this make you a more attractive candidate?

i didn't think it was worth it. what you hope to gain is actually more out of reach than orginally expected. cost and yield is unbalanced.

Originally posted by SilleAngyl
Thanks for the reply, Mistress! Is there anyone out there that has had the experience of an interviewer actually bringing up the topic of them taking honors level classes? It seems like it shoud be impressive being that these classes are harder. I just dont understand why, from what you guys are saying, adcoms seem not to care so much. Would'nt these classes force you to work harder, thereby making you more prepared for the harder med school classes? And wouldn't this make you a more attractive candidate?

They will make you a more attractive candidate, but the point has been that you need to actually do well. If this is not going to happen, then don't bother. That is, it won't compensate for poorer grades. For example, a 3.6 GPA is still better than a 3.4 GPA with honors, etc.