Honestly, do I have a shot? 3.4cGPA 3.3sGPA 24MCAT (African American)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManOfDiligence

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The only "you don't have a snowball chance in the Sahara desert school" is the University of Washington because they take in state(Washington Idaho Montana Wyoming and Alaska are in state to that school.) And superstars(3.9-4.0 over 36 MCATs published research in science while being really really involved in the community etc) other than that apply early write good and you may have a shot at a MD school and a fair shot at DO which are the same. I would see if you can improve the MCAT for a better shot (a 29 and over should give you a decent shot at all the schools except university of Washington. ) but this is my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would look into more DO schools if that. Otherwise turn in your application ASAP and pray/hope for the best.

Did you only take the MCAT once? I'm not much higher than you (27) but you'd be surprised the difference it can make. Also, don't be afraid to take a year or two off to improve your app. You can try this cycle if you like, but I learned the hard way that it's not always the best way to go.

I don't think I'd bother with MD schools this cycle, except maybe the HBCs. Expand the DO school list and (assuming you're going into your senior year this fall) get straight A's to bolster that GPA in case you need to go again next cycle.

I would still apply if I were you. Your gpa is not bad, but if possible I would definitely retake the MCAT. If you geared your PS towards helping the underserved like your volunteer hours imply, I don't see why you couldn't get an interview from a few MD schools (Howard and Meharry especially). I'm not an expert of course, and I'm honestly applying with a low gpa (though I'm excelling in a post-bac now). Don't be discouraged if this is really what you want to do in life!

I'd add MSUCOM, KCUMB, LECOM , NYITCOM and DMU ... I think you should get lots of love from the DO schools or retake the MCAT (while your app is submitted) and aim for 27+ for MD schools

I would focus more on DO schools this cycle, and maybe apply to a few URM MD schools. Personally, I'd take this cycle to study for the MCAT and achieve a higher score, then you won't be struggling as much -- you might even be able to expand your list. But, if you're dead set on applying this cycle, I'd focus on DO schools as you're competitive in that pool and less so in the MD applicant pool with the 24 -- not that's impossible, just a battle.

I have better stats than you do and I am having to apply for my fourth round, so don't ever make the assumptions that it's a sure shot especially if you are only applying MD.

I did just that. I applied to 11 DO schools. Fingers crossed!

I had similar stats (cGPA 3.498, 3.3 sGPA, 25 MCAT, URM female, a few quality extracurriculars, SE disadvantaged, 2 years healthcare experience) for the 2013-2014 cycle. I applied to 2 DO schools and like 15 MD schools. Received 9 interview invites (2 DO, 7 MD) but only attended 5 of the interviews, accepted to 1 DO and 2 MD, and waitlisted at 2 MD schools. I understand that luck may have played a big role in this cycle, but wanted to demonstrate that it's not impossible to be successful with those stats. Just make sure to use the MSAR to find schools that accept students with your stats. GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had similar stats (cGPA 3.498, 3.3 sGPA, 25 MCAT, URM female, a few quality extracurriculars, SE disadvantaged, 2 years healthcare experience) for the 2013-2014 cycle. I applied to 2 DO schools and like 15 MD schools. Received 9 interview invites (2 DO, 7 MD) but only attended 5 of the interviews, accepted to 1 DO and 2 MD, and waitlisted at 2 MD schools. I understand that luck may have played a big role in this cycle, but wanted to demonstrate that it's not impossible to be successful with those stats. Just make sure to use the MSAR to find schools that accept students with your stats. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
That's amazing. Congratulations! When did you apply? Our stats seem to be very similar, as i'm SES disadvantaged and have had about 2 years of full time healthcare experience as well.

Thanks! I submitted about one week after the AMCAS was first open for submission (sometime in July I think).

What schools did you get into?

I think you will have a shot at Texas schools since you are a Texas resident but remember to apply broadly

----------------------------------------------------
Follow me at:
facebook.com/awebbmd
antoniowebbmd.wordpress.com

Good luck and let us know how your cycle turns out.

I had a similar outcome with 27 MCAT. One DO school, one HBCU, and one state school.

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
-1 Peter 5:7

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your path.
- Proverbs 3:5-6

Reactions: 11 users
That's great and congrats!! Would you mind sharing which MD schools you were invited to interview? i'm in a very similar position and trying to decide the merits of retaking a late mcat vs applying now with what i have. thanks!

That's a lot to rehash lol. But I will say that they were all somewhat within my range for GPA, MCAT score, etc based on the MSAR. Use the MSAR to your advantage because it's extremely helpful!

Hey ya'll! I'm a rising third year and I'm here to give you some encouragement!

Firstly: OP you definitely have a shot. When I applied my stats were: 3.52 cGPA and a 23 MCAT. AND I had to take the MCAT not once...not TWICE...but THREE times! I applied to about 7 schools (all US MD), including my state and undergraduate school. I received 3 interview invites from the 7 schools I applied to. Obviously everything turned out fine. Your stats aren't the only thing that schools looks at in your application. Have a strong personal statement and ECs and a damn good reason for wanting to attend the school you're applying to. Ya'll can do it.

Reactions: 1 users
@SierraMist14 thanks for the encouragement. if you don't mind me asking, when did you apply? and i am struggling with the mcat. my practice scores have been horrible! and my mcat is 37 days away. i don't want to postpone going to med school for another cycle and i want to matriculate in 2015. i already started my amcas app. any advice??

@SierraMist14 thanks for the encouragement. if you don't mind me asking, when did you apply? and i am struggling with the mcat. my practice scores have been horrible! and my mcat is 37 days away. i don't want to postpone going to med school for another cycle and i want to matriculate in 2015. i already started my amcas app. any advice??
Sending you a message now

What MD schools did you apply to and what state do you have residency in?

What MD schools did you apply to and what state do you have residency in?

I'm a MD resident. As I mentioned above, the full list is a lot to rehash, but mainly schools within my MCAT/GPA range on the East Coast (including all HBCU's). Good luck and use the MSAR to your advantage!

Fingers crossed. Praying, praying, praying for success this cycle. I have faith in my application. I'll update the thread if/when I hear some news throughout the cycle!

Reactions: 3 users
Fingers crossed. Praying, praying, praying for success this cycle. I have faith in my application. I'll update the thread if/when I hear some news throughout the cycle!

Yes! I love to hear stories from the underdogs, gives us all hope. Good luck to you! :)

Congratulations. I'd consider adding St Louis U. I had friends there with scores and activities in line with yours.

I'm not sure what the acceptance rates are for state schools like Kansas, Illinois, UMKC and WVU, call them up to see if it's woorth your time applying. I'd call every private school's diversity office in the country to see what they think and if it's worth your time and money to apply.

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
-1 Peter 5:7

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your path.
- Proverbs 3:5-6
Needed this