This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulMD19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's skip all the reasons as to how I ended up how I did and get to the point. I have a GED and just finished my first year of college at a cc. I tried to take the minimum amount of courses I could while at the cc so I can do the rest at a higher level. Now aside from this, I now have a 3.07 GPA because my Bio class killed me this semester. Should I continue to go through with my initial pre-med path or just stop now? When applying to medical schools are they going to look at my application and laugh? Here is a student that not only holds a GED but also went to a cc.. I need brutal honesty here. Also, I am transferring this semester. I have gained admission to Texas Tech and University Mary Hardin-Baylor. Waiting for a decision from Baylor.
The courses I took at the cc were as listed:
Semester 1 -
Bio I - B
Eng I - A
Sociology - A
Remedial math - C
*oh lol btw I forgot to mention I had to take a remedial math before college algebra.
Semester 2 -
Bio II - C
Eng II - A
Psychology - A
College Algebra - C

Members don't see this ad.

The score isn't irredeemable, if that's what you're asking. Are you managing your time well? Have you found effective study methods that work for your learning style? Are you taking advantage of faculty office hours or seeking out tutors? Don't put the cart before the horse, right now you should be asking yourself what happened and why it's going to change.

Reactions: 1 user
doesnt look good

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up! Visit your college's learning center to get help with becoming a better science student and retake what you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Its not that you can't come back from that GPA if you're stellar from here on out, but the question is will you be stellar from here on out. Why are you not doing so hot?

Bingo! And a visit to your school's learning or education center will help you with this, OP, and much more.

The score isn't irredeemable, if that's what you're asking. Are you managing your time well? Have you found effective study methods that work for your learning style? Are you taking advantage of faculty office hours or seeking out tutors? Don't put the cart before the horse, right now you should be asking yourself what happened and why it's going to change.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly I just had alot going on and I know that is not a good excuse. I have figured out new study methods though. Math has always been my weakest subject. Also I have emailed my professor and may put in an apeal for my Bio grade this semester, I calculated it before final grades were posted and really beleive it should have been a B.

Thanks guys! I have high hopes of getting all A's next semester by studying my butt off. I have learned new study methods that should really help. This semesters Bio class was completely different from last semester and not at all what I was expecting. Math on the other hand just doesn't stick with me for some reason. It wasn't until after every exam that I started to understand what I was being tested over. Medical school is a dream of mine and for someone in my family, it's probably too big of a dream but ill try and and give it my all.

Thanks guys! I have high hopes of getting all A's next semester by studying my butt off. I have learned new study methods that should really help. This semesters Bio class was completely different from last semester and not at all what I was expecting. Math on the other hand just doesn't stick with me for some reason. It wasn't until after every exam that I started to understand what I was being tested over. Medical school is a dream of mine and for someone in my family, it's probably too big of a dream but ill try and and give it my all.

Don't say it doesn't stick, thats a cop out and a self-fulfilling prophecy. Conceptually understand the mathematical procedures just like you would in any other subject.

Reactions: 1 users
Figure out what issues are hindering your performance in Math and Biology courses. For Math, do extra practice problems for each topic and closely review your exams to analyze your mistakes to ensure you don't repeat your mistakes for the final. For Biology, review the material repeatedly and understand the topics on a conceptual level. Youtube videos on the topic might help if you are a visual learner. Maximize your resources by attending your professors' office hours, forming study groups with peers, going to the academic learning center, and seeking tutoring.

You'll be fine if you do well during the rest of your undergraduate career and maintain a good science GPA and overall GPA from this point onwards.

Don't say it doesn't stick, thats a cop out and a self-fulfilling prophecy. Conceptually understand the mathematical procedures just like you would in any other subject.
This. Doesn't stick literally should be synonymous with didn't practice enough. You truly only get out what you put in for courses that are problem-centered like math, physics, ochem

In almost any pre-health course, you are expected to understand the material. Doing hundreds of practice problems is useless unless you understand exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it. This is especially useful in O. Chem and Physics.

A lot of Bio is sheer memorization, and it can be difficult to find practical study habits for such a class. That being said, I would definitely suggest getting a tutor and/or speaking with your college's academic resource center. Hell, I used YouTube videos to study for my Bio course (you'd be surprised at how quickly you can learn the Krebs cycle through song). It's a trial-and-error process of finding what works for you.