Honest answers only, need to know if there's actually a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDancing22

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Without your step 2 score, your chances would be low. With that score and a “big wig” going to bat for you, you absolutely have a chance, especially at low to mid-tier programs. Top 10 program? Not likely. But matching? Very possible.

1) Stop with the excuses about why your Step 1 score is low and/or your rotation grades aren't ideal. No future attending wants to hear about them.

2) If you don't match this year, consider doing one of those Ophthalmic Pathology fellowships (e.g. Utah or Bascom) if you truly want to do Ophthalmology. And make sure you churn out the publications.

3) Why would you want to do IM as a backup? I'd personally choose anything besides IM (e.g. radiology, anesthesia), but perhaps the Step 1 cutoffs are high for those fields as well.

Sorry for the harsh talk for point #1, but you need to take action now, be relentless, and persevere.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools have a Step 1 screen, so you'll be caught in that filter right off the bat. If you clear that hurdle then your class rank, pubs, letter and faculty support give you a chance. If you are dead set on Ophtho, I would also agree that an Ophthalmic pathology fellowship would be your best bet. I personally would not give up until after another application round with that on your resume. If you're okay with another field, then by all means, have a backup.

Also, please don't misspell Ophtho on your application like you did in this post. Your margin for error is going to be very thin. We will take any excuse to dismiss an applicant. There's just to many of you all.

I honestly think you have good odds at matching somewhere, especially with a big-wig vouching for you! Apply to every program and don’t worry about the cost of application. The return on investment is absolutely worth it. I estimate you’ll get between 5-8 interviews depending on the competitiveness of the application season.

If the match does not work out, do an ophtho path fellowship and continue to stay in touch with the big wig. If you can get a letter from him and dr. Mammalis in Utah or someone in Iowa or bascom to vouch for you as well (wherever you decide to do the path fellowship), you’ll only increase your odds. These are big ophtho programs with big names and that matters a lot in ophtho.

Don’t bring up the sick part. Just acknowledge you did not do as well as you’d like and learned from your mistakes and improved on step 2. That’s all that needs to be said. Most attendings don’t want to hear excuses no matter how serious they may be. They’ll praise you for the improvement.

Rads, anesthesia are not very competitive these days. Had friends with 210s match into both so those can be a good backup options.

Yeah, as an attending, I'd much rather hear this about the poor Step 1 score:

"I had an off day that day, but I don't believe in excuses or wallowing in regret. I feel that my Step 2 score and academic record show that I have the necessary aptitude to succeed as an Ophthalmologist. If anything, that low Step 1 score gives me a chip on the shoulder to work even harder during residency and for my future career and patients."

Or something to that effect. You can Venmo my consulting fee later :p