homosexual....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessica525

I
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been debating this for awhile now....and finally decided to ask you guys for your opinion.

I have applied to USC, UCSD, and UCSF...not sure yet if I will be receiving an interview, but I am preparing to honestly answer the question "What makes you unique?"

Along with other characteristics that separate me form the rest, I am also lesbian. If I do let the interviewers know this, I feel I can build upon the fact that my life hasn't been easy. With family and friends finding out, it was tough but yet I still maintained excellent grades and was able to graduate with a 3.7 g.p.a. It shows that I was able to deal with a hardship that will continually be a problem for the rest of my life.

On the other hand, I know some people feel strongly about this issue. I could easily not bring this up during interviews and no one would guess I am gay. I am a lipstick lesbian (meaning I do not dress boyish or have any physical features that are mostly common in men, such as short hair, etc). I would never pretend to be straight, but if I just don't bring it up...they would never know.

I know we all like to think that everyone is tolerant of homosexuals, but the truth is...it still bothers some people. I know I would never be rejected because I am gay, but I do not want to be rejected because they find some "other reason" to reject me that would not have occurred if I never mentioned anything.

I am torn because I really would like the schools to know how tough it is!!! But then again I don't want to be categorized as some freak that is going straight to hell!

What should I do?? Any advice would be appreciated

Perhaps there are more gay people applying than I thought....any of you gay? Just curious....

If this post disgusts you...sorry im gay.... get over it :D

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been debating this for awhile now....and finally decided to ask you guys for your opinion.

I have applied to USC, UCSD, and UCSF...not sure yet if I will be receiving an interview, but I am preparing to honestly answer the question "What makes you unique?"

Along with other characteristics that separate me form the rest, I am also lesbian. If I do let the interviewers know this, I feel I can build upon the fact that my life hasn't been easy. With family and friends finding out, it was tough but yet I still maintained excellent grades and was able to graduate with a 3.7 g.p.a. It shows that I was able to deal with a hardship that will continually be a problem for the rest of my life.

On the other hand, I know some people feel strongly about this issue. I could easily not bring this up during interviews and no one would guess I am gay. I am a lipstick lesbian (meaning I do not dress boyish or have any physical features that are mostly common in men, such as short hair, etc). I would never pretend to be straight, but if I just don't bring it up...they would never know.

I know we all like to think that everyone is tolerant of homosexuals, but the truth is...it still bothers some people. I know I would never be rejected because I am gay, but I do not want to be rejected because they find some "other reason" to reject me that would not have occurred if I never mentioned anything.

I am torn because I really would like the schools to know how tough it is!!! But then again I don't want to be categorized as some freak that is going straight to hell!

What should I do?? Any advice would be appreciated

Perhaps there are more gay people applying than I thought....any of you gay? Just curious....

The issue I have with your post is not that you are gay or make referense to homosexuality...I am hetersexual....so I want to clarify that first of all because my response might be not the one your looking for.............Anyways, your post sounds like you are using your homosexual life style as a crutch and you want to give a sob story on how life is more difficult for you and you should be given some special treatment.....Well, I think if you go that route you are doom and no one well give a crap if you are gay and they wont feel sorry because many people have been through that or are going through that....Be your self by not saying your gay, but saying your a hard worker and you really want to become a pharmacist...........

If this post disgusts you...sorry im gay.... get over it :D[/quote]

First I absolutely love your positive attitude - this is a way to think !:) Second, I wish you luck - you sound like an extraordinary individual and I am sure you'll get in wherever you are applying. Third, I'd like to say - I am not gay myself, but a few people who are and are applying with me in my classes are very open about it and are making an accent on it in their applications. You have nothing to hide or be ashamed of - ths struggles you have undergone made you an individual you are today :)

Members don't see this ad :)
if you grew up and were educated in a heavily racist area and you were picked on constantly, yet still managed to earn a 3.7GPA..i think it would be pretty stupid NOT to talk about it

in a similar manner, if you went through tough times yet came out (pun? haha!) as a winner then why not? this is also a reflection of your future since there are always going to be ignorant people out there taking stabs at you for your orientation, etc.

I wouldn't bring it up if I were you. There's really no need to bring up something this personal in the interview. You could have witten it in you personal statement or supplementals though. I know UCSF had a section about backgrounds and difficulties growing up, so it would've been appropriate there.

The issue I have with your post is not that you are gay or make referense to homosexuality...I am hetersexual....so I want to clarify that first of all because my response might be not the one your looking for.............Anyways, your post sounds like you are using your homosexual life style as a crutch and you want to give a sob story on how life is more difficult for you and you should be given some special treatment.....Well, I think if you go that route you are doom and no one well give a crap if you are gay and they wont feel sorry because many people have been through that or are going through that....Be your self by not saying your gay, but saying your a hard worker and you really want to become a pharmacist...........

well thanks for the response....and first of all I want to emphasize that I am not using myself being gay as a "crutch". I am not planning on walking in there and telling a story about how I was beaten on the street by homophobs, that is not the case at all.

If asked what makes ME difference from other applicants, I would love to share the fact that I am gay and elaborate on my struggles. Family life does play a large role in school success and often those students having trouble at home do not perform as well as they can. Other students talk about their hardships and rough times in their life, and in fact, this has been supplemental essay questions. I was asking advice due to the fact that I know not everyone is tolerant and this might jeopardize my chances of getting in.

Basically I'm just scared that if they find out, it might sway their opinion of me. I personally do not care what they think of it....I just don't think it should be considered in whether or not I am accepted. If I am going to an interview I would like to be honest about ME and who I am and not have to watch what I say fearing their response.

hmm...i can't speak for individuals on adcoms, but you *might* hit a roadblock with someone who is against your style of living. Weigh the risks of discussing it with the potential reward.

I say go for it...balls out, but don't focus on the homosexual aspect of it. Focus on how it may have thrown you for a loop in certain situations.

Ok I don't know if that makes sense, I'll write again later when I'm not so woozy.

I say go for it...balls out, but don't focus on the homosexual aspect of it.

Good expression. Just for clarification, that's how they used to fly the fighter planes back in WWII, they'd move the throttle forward to accelerate the jet... I just researched the derivation of "Balls to the Wall" about a month ago.

And I agree... If a school has a problem with your way of life, then why on earth would you want to go there? Also, if as you say, it's not so evident, then I don't see how this could ever come up as an issue. It would be unprofessional to talk about that sort of stuff at a pharmacy school interview from either their perspective or yours.

Well I know how it feels to have some hardship, which not only makes you unique, but also gives you deep insight into life and people. I had a medical condition that went undiagnosed for a few years and my life sucked. . . so I saw the world differently than most people. I was more appreciative, and more humble because of this condition. I was more empathetic, and harder working. It made me realize that some things in life you can't change, so you just have to do your best, whatever that may be. Anyway, I never mentioned my medical illness in my admissions essay or my interview. Even though so much of who I am as a person is because of this illness, I didn't think it was appropriate. I just didn't want to bring up some factor that may have had unpredictable results. UCSF does appreciate diversity, but I think they also appreciate tastefulness. There may or may not be gay people in our class. I don't really know, and it doesn't really matter. So if I were you, I wouldn't bring it up unless they ask. I did mention that I felt I was unique because I had a special ability to empathize with others, and I'm more sensitive than other people so I am more receptive to their feelings. Anyway, I got into UCSF so yeah, mentioning the things I had learned without mentioning my medical condition worked for me.

It's not a good idea to needlessly share information about race, gender, sexuality, religion, etc.

Even in areas where people are supposedly more PC and open-minded, they will still hold their bigotry against you.

Unrelated: Ohh... 666 posts. I should retire this account to creep people out.

Good expression. Just for clarification, that's how they used to fly the fighter planes back in WWII, they'd move the throttle forward to accelerate the jet... I just researched the derivation of "Balls to the Wall" about a month ago.

And I agree... If a school has a problem with your way of life, then why on earth would you want to go there? Also, if as you say, it's not so evident, then I don't see how this could ever come up as an issue. It would be unprofessional to talk about that sort of stuff at a pharmacy school interview from either their perspective or yours.

yeah that was mildly on purpose :D

I think the school itself will be tolerant (as I believe there are laws on the books protecting homosexuals in California, to what extent I don't know). I think the issue is encountering someone on an adcom that is not as accepting and who may attempt to block the student's entering using a different reason.

i would not recommended you to bring that up. it is too personal and controversial. the interviewers do not need to know that. Everyone been thru some hardship in life, bring up your positive attitude, they will like it.

seriously, i found there are a lot of gay boys in pursuing pharmacy. i knew you are a lesbian, it is just an off the topic comment.

thanks for all your opinions...I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Am I the only other homo on this board (lol)?

I've discussed my sexuality on a few supplemental application essay topics when I believed such a discussion would help the admissions people gain a better image of me as a person.

So far, I've had four interviews. I haven't verbally mentioned that I am gay. But let me clarify. I have not mentioned that I am gay because I am afraid that they are going to think negatively towards me. I just haven't mentioned my sexuality b/c it wasn't relevant to my interview questions at the time.

I would have completely talked about my past experiences relating to my sexuality if the discussion between the interviewers and I lead in that direction.

Back to you.

You have stated that you've successfully pushed through some hardships pertaining towards your sexuality. So, why not talk about it?

My only advice is to make sure that you're entire interview responses aren't around that one topic (duh, right?). You don't want to come off as if your own sexuality is more of a hindrance to you than to them :)

I think it's quite inappropriate to be so forward about it, since it insinuates (may or may not be the case) that some type of action may be taken if you don't get in.(Read: thousands of lawsuits placed every year on every type of bias known to man. "He didn't hire me becuase I have blonde hair!!!!!")

It's unfortunate that we live in a sue happy socitey.

With all that being said, yes, it is very possible that you did have a tough time, but I really wouldn't go throwing it out there without a damn good reason.

Am I the only other homo on this board (lol)?

No... You're not the only homo on the thread. Yay for the homos!!:D

As always, good points delivered by Jitaka!!

Jessica, you're very intelligent. I like the way you expressed yourself in the sense of knowing your options and aware of their outcomes. If the situation fits, give them the opportunity to know something extra about you.

Most importantly, go with what Jitaka has stated. He seems to have done quite a few things right to land him interviews and acceptances.

honestly? I wouldn't mention it. I don't think it's relevant and I think it would be inappropriate to talk about something so personal in an interview.

When a question about what makes you unique comes up, they are looking for your personal characterstics. what makes you an individual and sets u apart from others. There are many gay people, so that is not a uniqueness but if your personality has developed due to your sexual orientation and what you have gone through due to it, then go for it and if they cant accept it and then you dont want them either.

Stay True to yourself

Good luck

This is a very unusual form...I would think someone who is trying to become a pharmacist would have some better common sense to know what to say and what not to say in an interview..............

Another homo here! You sound a lot like me! I don't think there are any interview questions that would require such a response but in my own experience I don't hide anything. I can't speak much for coming out in the interview process but I'm the only out homo in my 1PD class so far and everyone is awesome about it.

This is a very unusual form...I would think someone who is trying to become a pharmacist would have some better common sense to know what to say and what not to say in an interview..............
I completely disagree and find your initial post offensive. If she's going to bring it up in an interview, it's going to be in a tactful, specific way. If she was attacked, that's a pretty damn good reason to talk about what one learned in that experience, even if it's not in the traditional academic sense.

Mention it. It can't hurt you, especially if it's in the school's non-discrimination policy. I know people in my class who wrote about it and I believe it's why they got in (at other top pharmacy schools too) - not because of the inherent sexual orientation, but because it helped them become better people in understanding what it's like to be oppressed. Don't be afraid to be different and stand up for your convictions - pharmacy schools like leaders and those who will effect change in all aspects. They won't punish you for revealing a very personal aspect of you, as you're only helping them to better understand who you are.

Don't worry, we love lesbians.

OP: post up a pic! :D

As has already been posted - sexual preference should NOT be brought up in a professional interview or in open response essays. It works that way for straight people as well - "Hi, my name is ~above~ - I'm straight, how are you?"

we have one lesbian in our class, and about 3 gay guys - nobody cares. Your sexual preference does not define you - its just a preference - I would focus on the other things that make you unique.

~above~

I completely disagree and find your initial post offensive. If she's going to bring it up in an interview, it's going to be in a tactful, specific way. If she was attacked, that's a pretty damn good reason to talk about what one learned in that experience, even if it's not in the traditional academic sense.

Mention it. It can't hurt you, especially if it's in the school's non-discrimination policy. I know people in my class who wrote about it and I believe it's why they got in (at other top pharmacy schools too) - not because of the inherent sexual orientation, but because it helped them become better people in understanding what it's like to be oppressed. Don't be afraid to be different and stand up for your convictions - pharmacy schools like leaders and those who will effect change in all aspects. They won't punish you for revealing a very personal aspect of you, as you're only helping them to better understand who you are.

I completely disagree with this - your professional interview is not a moment to talk about this sort of thing. Save that for a one on one with a favorite professor, or a close friend.

At your interview - the one (and only) opportunity you have to display who you are - is not a time to display ANYTHING controversial. It is the WRONG time. Do what you need to do to get into school - This doesn't mean you hide who you are - you just dont need to divulge everything about you at that very second.

If you prefer to keep your hair in 5 different shades of pink - great - but you better have your hair one color for your interview. The same goes for multiple facial piercings - or even sexual preferences. You want your interviewier to meet you, with the impression that you are EXACTLY the person they want as a student (because you are) - after you are in, you can be as individual as you want to be.

~above~

It's a very personal decision. I don't bring it up in interview situations but if asked directly if I'm married or something along those lines, I don't lie. That's where I draw the line, where I feel like I can maintain my integrity. In the rest of my life it's just part of me, I'm honest when it comes up and if people don't like it that's their problem. You may not even get the "what makes you unique" question, but if you do and it's important to you to answer it that way, then you should. I think in most cases it will not count against you.

Mention it. It can't hurt you, especially if it's in the school's non-discrimination policy. I know people in my class who wrote about it and I believe it's why they got in (at other top pharmacy schools too) - not because of the inherent sexual orientation, but because it helped them become better people in understanding what it's like to be oppressed.

I have a problem with this. In states that have laws against sexual orientation discrimination, how do we know that they aren't just letting people in so that they don't get sued on the assumption that they were rejected because they were gay? This kind of thing is hard to prove, and the accuser gets the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, just keep everything professional. A straight person wouldn't start bragging about all of the sexual experiences that they've had - it just isn't relevant or appropriate.

What is it about being a lesbian that makes life hard?

Being an atheist, now *that* is difficult, but nobody is going to mention that because everyone hates atheists more than gays.

EVILOLIVE READ ALL OF THESE POST PLEASE...IM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT THINKS THIS.......

How was I offensive...I just think it is INappropriate for someone to talk about thier sexual Orientation during a inteview process to for a professional school...It is obivious THIS IS a major thing THAT IS occuring in the indivduals life who started this post and it is currently affecting her decision making process....which all signals that she has poooor decision making process...and decision making is an important aspect to being a pharmacist....you cant waiver and make mistakes as a pharmacist...many interviewers that she sits in front of will think "why is this girl telling me this?" and "what made her even talk about this" ...........Maybe I should have told the person who posted this form to tell everyone at her interview all about their sexual preference and also tell them about other skeletons in the closet that gives her a complex.........and I am sure that will get her into Pharmacy schoollll....PS...I LOVE LESIBIANS............AND I REALLY WANT THE BEST FOR THEM...........THAT IS WHY I AM ADVISING AGAINST TALKING ABOUT your SEXUAL PERFERENCE IN A INTERVIEW WHERE SHE is attempting to BECOME A PHARMACIST .........

What is it about being a lesbian that makes life hard?

Oh, maybe being nearly beaten to death because of one part of who you are? It's kind of like saying what is it about being african american that makes life hard. Regardless, I understand your point, and we have disagreements as to what is considered appropriate, but it's mostly dependent on how one approaches the delivery. Obviously she isn't going to sit there in her essays/interview and flat out say "i'm a lesbian" without any sort of background - like she said, it comes with a story and an important aspect of development. The "what is one of the hardest things you've had to deal with in your life" question is bound to come up in some way or form in an application or interview. My friend had a conservative mormon interviewer at the UCSF medical school and was afraid that she would be discriminated against, but she ended up getting in. I agree it's risky and assumes many ideals - but isn't that the heart of the profession, to stay to and hope for ideals? We're all far too young to be jaded, and change never happens by playing it safe. Detachment may win you points about what isn't said, but what if what is said is rather bland? If the interviewers/admissions committee are prejudiced themselves, then they don't deserve to have you. Forgive the triteness, but it's the journey and truth to one's identity that matters as a professional, and hopefully they will see that.

Oh, maybe being nearly beaten to death because of one part of who you are? It's kind of like saying what is it about being african american that makes life hard. Regardless, I understand your point, and we have disagreements as to what is considered appropriate, but it's mostly dependent on how one approaches the delivery. Obviously she isn't going to sit there in her essays/interview and flat out say "i'm a lesbian" without any sort of background - like she said, it comes with a story and an important aspect of development. The "what is one of the hardest things you've had to deal with in your life" question is bound to come up in some way or form in an application or interview. My friend had a conservative mormon interviewer at the UCSF medical school and was afraid that she would be discriminated against, but she ended up getting in. I agree it's risky and assumes many ideals - but isn't that the heart of the profession, to stay to and hope for ideals? We're all far too young to be jaded, and change never happens by playing it safe. Detachment may win you points about what isn't said, but what if what is said is rather bland? If the interviewers/admissions committee are prejudiced themselves, then they don't deserve to have you. Forgive the triteness, but it's the journey and truth to one's identity that matters as a professional, and hopefully they will see that.

I DISAGREE WITH YOU .LOL...BUT WHO CARES...BY LOOKING AT THE MAJORITY OF THE POSTINGS...WE ALL THINK ITS A BAD IDEA..

IT IS UNFORNTUNATE THAT PEOPLE DISCRIMINATE...BUT PLEASE PROTECT YOURSELF FROM BEING DISCRIMINATED

The fact of matter is do what you think is best..you asked for our opinions and your feathers got a little ruffled when we gave it......If a persons has a great need to say "Hello, Im gay and I think being gay has prepared me to be a......." Then go for it.......Let us know if you was accepted.....I hope things go well for you

I wouldn't talk about my sexuality at an interview. Not because there is anything wrong with being homosexual, but because it just doesn't seem like appropriate interview fodder. I am sure there are many other unique things you can talk about with out bringing up something as personal as sexuality.

you asked for our opinions and your feathers got a little ruffled when we gave it......

I didn't ask for your opinion, the original poster did.

yazzman said:
If a persons has a great need to say "Hello, Im gay and I think being gay has prepared me to be a......." Then go for it.......Let us know if you was accepted.....I hope things go well for you

I think you completely missed the point of my post. Anyways, I was accepted to several pharmacy schools, so yes, things did go well for me.

:laugh:
I didn't ask for your opinion, the original poster did.

I think you completely missed the point of my post. Anyways, I was accepted to several pharmacy schools, so yes, things did go well for me.

OK..IM HAPPY FOR YOU..I WISH YOU GREAT SUCESS IN THE FUTURE...

PS....

WHO CAN MISS THAT POINT IN THOSE POSTINGS......I DIDNT MISS THE POINT...JUST THOUGHT I PUT A DIFFERENT SPIN ON THINGS......:laugh::hardy:

Kudos to jessica for an awesome question. I'm also a lesbian and I can totally relate. In fact, I've been wondering about some of the exact same things.

I can understand people's views that sexuality is a private issue, but I also don't think that they fully understand the struggle that some of us go through, and how it molds us as people. Without the introspection, self-analysis, and struggle that I went through because of being gay, I definitely would not be the person that I am right now.

And that's what makes it particularly frustrating--that I'm not supposed to talk about one of the top things that helped to shape me into who I am. It's not a matter of me wanting people to know a personal detail, but a matter of me wanting them to know that I have struggled and have a strong sense of who I am because of it.

As for interviews, I'll probably take a pretty cautious approach, but if everything seems to fall in place for it, I might mention it.

Anyway, just keep everything professional. A straight person wouldn't start bragging about all of the sexual experiences that they've had - it just isn't relevant or appropriate.

God I hate when people say this or a variation of it. Sure, we'll keep our sexuality out of all the interviews. As soon as you all agree to remove your wedding rings and engagement rings, and censor all references to the existence of your significant other. Cause your sexuality has no place in an interview.:bullcrap:

And yeah, what CellarDoor said.

God I hate when people say this or a variation of it. Sure, we'll keep our sexuality out of all the interviews. As soon as you all agree to remove your wedding rings and engagement rings, and censor all references to the existence of your significant other. Cause your sexuality has no place in an interview.:bullcrap:

Wow, this forum is full of angry lesbians who don't think that anyone else struggles in life.

Nothing is keeping gay couples from wearing rings for commitment. The government doesn't issue or regulate them.

I was in favor of gay marriage in order to be fair to everyone, but now I have another reason - giving people like you one less thing to ***** about.

I really didn't expect this much feedback and I appreciate everyone's comments....

especially ones like " i love lesbians i watch the movies all the time" "ditto that...movie time brb"

hmmmm and why is it so tough being a lesbian?? considering i observed responses like that even in an educational forum, think about out in real life...where lesbians who look feminine are considered hot and a fantasy!

I think I will take the advice of others and not bring it up unless I see a real need for it....in the middle of typing this I found out I got an interview for USC on the 26th at 9:40am!!!

Anyone else going to be there let me know! :cool:

I say go for it. I grew up around the arts and have several gay friends. One of my friends said that his father sat him down and told him 10 reasons why he hated him. Gays have had to overcome a lot of adversity--and still do in a lot of areas. I know for a fact that UCSF wouldn't blink at it since they have their share of gay faculty.

Should I walk into my interview and state from the beginning that I am a heterosexual?

No? Why? Not relevant?

So why should someone else walk in and say they are a homosexual.

Not getting an edge based upon something like this should be just as much a part of equality as not being discriminated based upon something like this.

My thoughts... however, unwarranted they may be.

On the other hand, I know some people feel strongly about this issue. I am a lipstick lesbian (meaning I do not dress boyish or have any physical features that are mostly common in men, such as short hair, etc).

I know we all like to think that everyone is tolerant of homosexuals, but the truth is...it still bothers some people.

You betcha I feel very strongly about this issue!!!

'Cos I LOVE lipstick lesbians!!!!! :laugh::love:

I have two lesbian friends (engineer, law); they're smart and absolutely gorgeous! Oh my.....:eek:

Congrats on your interview!!!! Oh yes... Please, don't bring it up.

P.S. "Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar." Here, that'll make you laugh: UAB Video

Inflation? No prob!

i think it's based on your own personal judgment if it's appropriate to bring the subject up or not.

i know my friend brought it up, after some slight hesitation, during his med school interview at ucsf. turns out, the faculty interviewer was gay as well (but i don't know what the odds of that happening are). i'm not sure if he brought it up with the other faculty interviewer, but long story short, he's at ucsf now and loves it there.

while i don't think it is a matter that defines you, it certainly is a matter that continues to play a role in shaping the person you are. especially in the midst of adversity, it presents an opportunity for further insight on life in general and can act as a driving force to help others.

I'm a heterosexual white male. In my interview, I was waiting for the oppurtunity to bring up the fact that I am sexually attracted to petite bolndes with small breasts and shapely bottoms, but all my life I have suffered redicule because everyone I meet likes large breasts. Dealing with this ridicule has taught me to persevere and strive to achieve all of my goals.
Unfortunately, I instead had to talk about my pharmacy and educational experiences, how I manage my time, and why I think pharmacy is for me.:cool:

Having a ring on your finger doesn't necessarily mean that you are a hetero. The only way they would know is if you made reference to your heteroness. So if your gay and your married wear your ring, fine, but don't talk about it. Don't expect to get some kinda of sympathy for being a homer. +pity+

I'm a heterosexual white male. In my interview, I was waiting for the oppurtunity to bring up the fact that I am sexually attracted to petite bolndes with small breasts and shapely bottoms, but all my life I have suffered redicule because everyone I meet likes large breasts. Dealing with this ridicule has taught me to persevere and strive to achieve all of my goals.
Unfortunately, I instead had to talk about my pharmacy and educational experiences, how I manage my time, and why I think pharmacy is for me.:cool:

HAHA... THis is proly the best post I've read.

........DIENOPHILE THAT WAS THE SMOOTHEST RESPONSE YET........LOL...WOW...SMOOTH ...I THINK I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE...REGARDING BLONDES, BRUNETTES, ETC.............

Jessica....as a graduate of UCSF & someone who has taught there - really, don't mention this as an opening topic in and of itself.

Why? Because its irrelevant & completely unrelated to your admission. You won't be asked about it because its against California law.

Now...if you feel strongly about healthcare and gay/lesbian issues related to obtaining healthcare, then yes, bring it up. But, only in that context. Otherwise, you appear to be beating a particular topic like a drum. Pharmacy school is not the place for promoting personal issues, however you can take a personal issue and make it a healthcare related issue in the greater sense - just as someone who might be deaf might do (who, btw is also a graduate of UCSF).

Now - what are the gay/lesbian issues in CA? Do you know them? Well, for example there are "partner" problems with insurance. Although, spouses are covered as dependents, often significant others are not. Just for your personal information, all businesses in SF must provide healthcare for designated significant others, they do not have to be spouses. That is not the case in all of CA nor is it the case nationwide.

Likewise, what are the other healthcare issues? Often they are access, prejudice, unique disease states. Use the pharmaceutical/healthcare issues as topics - not your own personal sexual orientation.

Within the state of CA, no one cares - truly no one does (employer wise). However, you can use your own personal experience to expand on the healthcare issues you either know personally or know as a group which you might want to expand your own expertise to. Use that as a springboard to your essay or interview.

I can't comment on USC or UCSD because I don't know what those schools are looking for personally. However, I do know, UCSF is looking for those candidates who want to give back and provide something unique and be willing to open areas of pharmaceutical care which perhaps have not yet been fully served. They really don't care what your sexual orientation is, but they do care if you find a certain underserved or vulnurable population in which you might make a difference. They'll encourage you to expand your knowledge, expertise and access to that group so they might be served better. Actually, SF is well served when it comes to pharmaceutical care with regard to gay/lesbian groups. But, that is not the case in all of CA nor is it the case across the nation. Likewise, there is the whole issue of young people who become conflicted about their sexual orientation & suffer depressive issues related to that. There are so many things you could address in this regard beyond your own personal orientation. Take some time to think "outside the box" so to speak - go beyond what your own experience is.

For example, one of my classmates was a great pharmacist in the Haight Ashbury Free Medical Clinic (in the day.....). This was pre-HIV/AIDS, but it was there - we just didn't know what it was nor did we have a name for it. He was also not a drug user, but he related great to that population & went on to other things in drug abuse issues. I,however, could not relate to that group at all. But, I'm great at senior issues, intensive acute care issues, many others - speak to what is your strength.

So - keep your own personal sexuality to yourself. But, you can turn your own experience around to expand on the topic of a particular group of patients whom you feel strongly about. Being a pharmacist is less about you and more about patients. Make your interaction with the adcoms more about what you'd like to offer patients rather than who you are in a personal sense.

Good luck!