Home improvement & recent purchases that improved your life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I was paying for 200/200 but it was free to upgrade to 300/300. Is this any good?
I dont know who your provider is but that upload is quite high even though it isn't coming close to 300. You are good where you are with these stats. Was your upload speed like this when you had 200?

Mine is 400/100 so I am pretty jelly

That’s decent for a Wi-Fi connection. I have gigabit fiber, but that’s only relevant for my wired desktops and backhaul, I’ve not yet upgraded to Wi-Fi 6 hardware.
im very jelly now

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I dont know who your provider is but that upload is quite high even though it isn't coming close to 300. You are good where you are with these stats. Was your upload speed like this when you had 200?

Mine is 400/100 so I am pretty jelly

im very jelly now

It's Verizon FiOS $40/mo for 200/200 and then they had free upgrades for 300/300. I don't remember how fast it was when I first got it, but it's always been fast enough for me. I only stream movies, no gaming or anything. There was no contract when I signed up and the price has been the same for 3 years now. I laugh at people who cancel and switch providers every year.

Anyone got any fall/winter/cold month preps/enhancements on the horizon? Now is a good time to plan and get **** done these next few months

Ive got some insulation to redo and thinking of investing in some winter tires specifically this season. Not sure if I want to do any lawn care prep for late fall right now…lawn has taken a beating this past month with a drought and water restrictions

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone got any fall/winter/cold month preps/enhancements on the horizon? Now is a good time to plan and get **** done these next few months

Ive got some insulation to redo and thinking of investing in some winter tires specifically this season. Not sure if I want to do any lawn care prep for late fall right now…lawn has taken a beating this past month with a drought and water restrictions
where do you live that you need snow tires for everyday use? Don't most places have good enough road department that unless you are in the boonies or mountain - do you don't need snow tires?

I grew up BFE Iowa and had to drive one 3 miles of gravel road before getting to any hard surface road, and we didn't even have them

Reactions: 1 user
I've never used snow tires before. It seemed like a PITA to switch tires twice a year and have a set sitting in the garage for half the year. Never had any issues with snow or ice yet. The main roads and highways are always plowed and salted/sanded.

I paid for a new lawn and irrigation a couple years ago, but this year we had the drought and water bans so that was a waste. I'm contemplating if I should bother putting down grass this fall or even opening up the sprinklers anymore.

I finally screened in my back porch. DIY for under $400. Around 320 sq ft of space. So now I'm thinking about getting a grill but I don't know much about them. What's a good starter grill to get?

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpeg
    IMG_0226.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 79
I finally screened in my back porch. DIY for under $400. Around 320 sq ft of space. So now I'm thinking about getting a grill but I don't know much about them. What's a good starter grill to get?

A lot of people get Charbroil but they rust out easily in the northeast. I don't think you have that issue where you are. A lot of people upgrade to Weber next. You might be able to find a Weber Spirit II on sale at the end of the season for around $250-300.

My friend actually found 2 Weber grills on the curb. People get rid of them cause they're too lazy to replace that parts, which can easily be ordered online. He just replaced the igniters and grill plates and they were good at new. Webers should last for decades.

Reactions: 2 users
A lot of people get Charbroil but they rust out easily in the northeast. I don't think you have that issue where you are. A lot of people upgrade to Weber next. You might be able to find a Weber Spirit II on sale at the end of the season for around $250-300.

My friend actually found 2 Weber grills on the curb. People get rid of them cause they're too lazy to replace that parts, which can easily be ordered online. He just replaced the igniters and grill plates and they were good at new. Webers should last for decades.
Thanks. I'll have a look at them. What about charcoal grills?

Yeah I see people throwing out grills every week in my neighborhood. Maybe I should take one to experiment on it.

Yeah I see people throwing out grills every week in my neighborhood. Maybe I should take one to experiment on it.
One of my neighbors throw out a beautiful looking grill a few weeks ago. I really considered grabbing it but I have a working grill and do not want a reputation as the neighborhood dumpster diver so decided against it. Still this was like a custom job with a stone facade. Looked great to my eyes.

Then again my neighbors are constantly throwing out stuff that from the curb looks amazing to me. At least donate it to goodwill if it’s in working condition!

Never had a charcoal grill. Too much work.

Anything I guess. Steaks, ribs, burgers, sausages...

I'm biased towards charcoal on both taste and versatility. Also easier to pick up a used charcoal grill as you don't have to worry about other parts working.

Gas is fine- it's easy to use but takes the fun out of grilling if you're the culinary type.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my neighbors throw out a beautiful looking grill a few weeks ago. I really considered grabbing it but I have a working grill and do not want a reputation as the neighborhood dumpster diver so decided against it. Still this was like a custom job with a stone facade. Looked great to my eyes.

Then again my neighbors are constantly throwing out stuff that from the curb looks amazing to me. At least donate it to goodwill if it’s in working condition!
Maybe they're expecting a neighbor to pick it up for free instead of paying at a thrift store? Be the change you want to see!

• Haha
I'm biased towards charcoal on both taste and versatility. Also easier to pick up a used charcoal grill as you don't have to worry about other parts working.

Gas is fine- it's easy to use but takes the fun out of grilling if you're the culinary type.

I have a Kamado-style grill, which I wouldn’t recommend as a general rule. It is really nice now, but I have a temperature controlled fan (Fireboard), and have had it for almost 7 years. The pellet grills are probably what I would get right now if I were to do it again.

And I would totally dumpster dive. I don’t have that much pride.

I have a built-in Thermador gas grill with overhead electric filaments and power rotisserie. Gas is piped in, no cylinders. 8 individual flames, 2 side burners - also has compartment (with burner) to accommodate any flavor wood chips or even charcoal. Including small refrigerator and sink (must have) Didn't pay for it, came with the house.

My latest purchase was a kitchen hood and I'm just insanely happy! Finally I can cook and not suffer from odors being absorbed into the surfaces.

Where is the vent? There is a hood above our stove but I can't figure out where it exits the house LoL.

• Haha
Since covid, I've been working from home for the long haul, so I decided it was time to set up my own workspace. FIrst time DIYer and about $1000, this is the result. I have no prior carpentry or home improvement experience so I kept a contractor's number on speed dial in case I screw things up too badly. Fortunately, everything worked out and this is my happy space. :)

Attachments

• IMG_8903 2.jpg
    IMG_8903 2.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF0122.jpg
    DSCF0122.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF0253.JPG
    DSCF0253.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 94
Where is the vent? There is a hood above our stove but I can't figure out where it exits the house LoL.
the thing is - a lot of places have a hood, but it just vents right out to the room, sort of pointless. Mine goes right out the side - you can see the vent right next to the dryer vent

Since covid, I've been working from home for the long haul, so I decided it was time to set up my own workspace. FIrst time DIYer and about $1000, this is the result. I have no prior carpentry or home improvement experience so I kept a contractor's number on speed dial in case I screw things up too badly. Fortunately, everything worked out and this is my happy space. :)

That looks really nice! I can see some contractors charging a few thousand for that.

and having a 6 month wait list

I asked a handyman to make an attic door for me in January. He said he'd do it back then. I didn't hear back from him until yesterday.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
To follow up, I got this little camp grill to experiment with gas grilling, for just $38. Grilled a ribeye and I think it turned out pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_0230c.jpg
    IMG_0230c.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0231c.jpg
    IMG_0231c.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 68
To follow up, I got this little camp grill to experiment with gas grilling, for just $38. Grilled a ribeye and I think it turned out pretty good.
Sweet! I’d call that a huge success!

I grilled tuna and scallops today b/c I am in Florida so had to use them before they went bad. I’ve grilled scallops before but this was my first time doing tuna. Sadly I did overdo them but it wasn’t a total loss.

Turning my pool into a cold plunge for the winter. Enjoying it so far but the coldest it has gotten is ~50 degrees F. Will report back as we get deeper into winter.

• Wow
Anyone have a good set of cooking pans/skillets? Always used Sams club or walmart stuff... I need to upgrade.

Neighbor just got a **** ton of solar panels, slightly jealous.

Did just buy a triple-shot espresso portafilter. Can't wait to try that.

Anyone have a good set of cooking pans/skillets? Always used Sams club or walmart stuff... I need to upgrade.

Neighbor just got a **** ton of solar panels, slightly jealous.

Did just buy a triple-shot espresso portafilter. Can't wait to try that.

We just got ceramic a few months back. Honestly, not too impressed with them. The regular nonstick coating works pretty well, just doesn’t last as long. Already got dings and scratches on the ceramic coating.

We also cook a lot, and we are generally pretty hard on our cookware.

I wish I could say I loved cast iron, but it is so much more work than the regular pans.

Ok, after playing the smoothie game for well over a year, I’ve decided to upgrade from a minimalist ninja fit to a VitaMix (not the overkill model that’s like $600 but decent enough model). Going to start making green blends for tossing into my rice to go along with the crap ton of berries I eat daily with Greek yogurt

might post pics in a few weeks

Bump with spring coming soon,
anyone have upcoming projects?

I’ve got my work cut out for me with a nearly dead furnace (not much lifespan left and some bouts of unreliability). Made it through this mild AF winter just fine but have plenty potential for cutting gas/heating expenses. Withheld getting some $900+ maybe fixes (price gouging during cold fronts)…after further observation issue could simply be having too much load on the circuit.

I’m currently intrigued, interested in geothermal heat pumps as a future option (probably not worth the upfront costs). Anyone have experiences with heat pumps?

Smoothie greens (kale, spinach)…I’m not into drinking greens (no water added). Eaten more as a paste or mash dressed up with EVOO and avocado/guacamole. Trying out a lower fat option dressing with BBQ and hot sauce when trying to cut kcals

Attachments

• BC50F701-02A3-43F5-A7FF-E92C1C82E69B.jpeg
    BC50F701-02A3-43F5-A7FF-E92C1C82E69B.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
My morning shake has celery and spinach, easy way to get the veggies in each day.

Working on ashp med safety certificate, but focusing on building good habits with gym/eating. I need to add insulation to reduce cooling/heating costs.

Reactions: 3 users
I have been spending a lot of time mastering my miso soup recipe and technique

I am becoming a miso soup master chef. I am familiar with all the different pastes, dashi, seaweeds…

It’s been great for weight loss.

Bump anyone got spring projects?

Currently doing a small kitchen addition adding shelving….sigh…dedicated coffee station setup area with coffee machine (ninja dual brew), cold brew accessories, and nitro coffee keg. I might have a coffee problem

Finished some minor touch ups to home gym (mirrors, lighting, cardio area, and make shift office/computer/laptop area)
Next, I’m moving upstairs to finish my workshop and main office/library rooms…been a total PIA being in limbo and being “disorganized” planning arrangements out

Next month will be warm enough, time to start hitting up the lawn…trying some 3 in 1 for the first time to spruce up lawn (been totally lazy last year acclimating to new place, getting a feel for owning a lawn)

I want a hot tub
Give interest rates another 2% to crash house prices, and then you'll have your pick of contractors. It'll be the aftermath of the panic improvements to sell.

Even better, wait until the prices in your area crashes, then buy a better house with a hot tub.

The only issue with that logic is that you live in Texas, where the Californians are moving to and with California money, they can keep the prices artificially high.

We have been loving our hot tub.

Just restrained our pergola and re-sealed the play set. I need to stain my pool pump cover that I made last year (was kinda lazy when I put it in).
—I’m tired of painting projects. I find it amazing how the people around here want to do little projects, it is much easier to just do it yourself.

I got an electric plug-in kettle. It's dope, boiling water in 1-2 minutes.

Meh not much lately…installed a Coat rack, hooks to make prepare yourself for the elements before stepping outside area
Drawing up specs on insulation project I’ve got in mind completing in a few months for air sealing and insulting both basement and attic

outdoors got to try out my leaf vacuum…holy ****…I don’t think I’ll ever go back to picking up leaves with making a two rake clamp again. Mulches leaves saving tons of space bagging
1684620366584.jpeg

Meh not much lately…installed a Coat rack, hooks to make prepare yourself for the elements before stepping outside area
Drawing up specs on insulation project I’ve got in mind completing in a few months for air sealing and insulting both basement and attic

outdoors got to try out my leaf vacuum…holy ****…I don’t think I’ll ever go back to picking up leaves with making a two rake clamp again. Mulches leaves saving tons of space bagging
View attachment 371858

Is this only for a small area? My yard is pretty big. It takes a long time to blow the leaves into the woods. It would probably take hours to suck up a few at a time?

Is this only for a small area? My yard is pretty big. It takes a long time to blow the leaves into the woods. It would probably take hours to suck up a few at a time?
Yeah us non breeders have no need for big places for child herding. Doesn’t take long at all once I got the feel for it (not trying to jam by sucking up too many leaves at once…gentle touch)

cool thing about this gadget is that I can easily get those hard to reach leaves that get crammed in between, around, & underneath bushes

Last edited:
Yeah us non breeders have no need for big places for child herding. Doesn’t take long at all once I got the feel for it (not trying to jam by sucking up too many leaves at once…gentle touch)

cool thing about this gadget is that I can easily get those hard to reach leaves that get crammed in between, around, & underneath bushes

LoL I know a couple who just bought a 5,000SF house. No kids and not planning on adopting (same sex).

LoL I know a couple who just bought a 5,000SF house. No kids and not planning on adopting (same sex).
Daaaayuuumm…they’d better be renting a good amount of that out, otherwise they are probably just burning money and unnecessarily giving themselves way to much to manage Maintenance wise. Killing themselves just heating the place if needed based on location

Daaaayuuumm…they’d better be renting a good amount of that out, otherwise they are probably just burning money and unnecessarily giving themselves way to much to manage Maintenance wise. Killing themselves just heating the place if needed based on location

Nah they are rich.

Being rich allows one to be foolish with money, assets, resources, etc…sigh
DINK lifestyle

I mean I doubt they'll lose money on the house. It will probably appreciate a lot in the long run.