Holmium Laser

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oyabun

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all the urologists out there,
I am a pain physician in Phoenix and I have some questions about the Holmium laser procedure. My dad has BPH and he is on coumadin for afib. His urologist has been treating him for the past two years with medication. He was recently in another town when he was admitted with a uti. The urologist who saw him recommended the holmium laser procedure instead of a TURP due to less postoperative consequences. Does anyone have any thoughts as to the effectiveness of the holmium procedure?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

This seems like a good paper to read for your question: J Urol. 2006 Apr;175(4):1428-32. Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate in patients on anticoagulant therapy or with bleeding disorders.

Basically concludes that Holmium is safe and effective for treatment of BPH.

Hope this helps.

Not many people are using the holmium laser. More people tend to use the greenlight laser system. But, yes, the lasers are the way to go if you have a mechanical valve and can't get off coumadin. However, if you're on coumadin for a-fib, you may be able to get off it for a short period and get a TURP.