holding suture needle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeep69

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a specific way to safely hold a suture needle when reloading the driver or when looping it around the driver for throws etc.. Ive watched lots of youtube viids and most just grip it between the thumb and index finger near the swagged end or body.
I assume im not at risk of cutting myself unless I grip it near the pointed tip correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the time the tip is doing its bouncy little dance on the end of the suture and its orientation is such that it's more prone to lay sideways rather than stab you. Kind of like that Tiki toss bar game with the ring and hook that never want to get together. If you're super spooked by the pointy end of the whole shebang, grab it with the Adson forceps that should be nearby and load it into the driver that way. Edward Scissorhandsy.

Honestly, practice makes perfect. Suture pads are good.

I got comfortable with suturing way later after my 1000000th extraction.

Plus when you work on patients take your time. Oral surgeons can work magic suturing in seconds. Sometimes it take me a good 1-2 min to get a good suture in. But whatever, just go at your own safe pace. Don’t want to stick yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a feel. You just have to do it enough where you stop thinking about it. Pigs feet is good to practice on.